News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

IN US 31 Kokomo Bypass Upgrade Report

Started by mukade, June 26, 2011, 04:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: monty on November 01, 2013, 07:42:25 PM
Looks like the new Kokomo US 31 route will open on Nov 26.

That makes me want to push my trip up a day.  It's been a long time since I've driven on a new road the first day it opened.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ysuindy

Drove up to South Bend and back today for the Notre Dame football game. Sometime during the day northbound traffic on the north end of the project was switched to the new flyover ramp.  Coming home I saw lights seemingly floating in the air as a truck was going northbound.

Will be heading up the afternoon of the 26th to pick my son up for Thanksgiving break.  Will be very pleased if we get a chance to drive the bypass.

I was impressed with the amount of work done the last week but still seems like a lot to do to this uneducated eye.

mukade

Quote from: ysuindy on November 03, 2013, 12:47:29 AM
Drove up to South Bend and back today for the Notre Dame football game. Sometime during the day northbound traffic on the north end of the project was switched to the new flyover ramp.  Coming home I saw lights seemingly floating in the air as a truck was going northbound.

Will be heading up the afternoon of the 26th to pick my son up for Thanksgiving break.  Will be very pleased if we get a chance to drive the bypass.

I was impressed with the amount of work done the last week but still seems like a lot to do to this uneducated eye.

They're going to be busy at the south tie-in, for sure, but a month before I-69 opened last year it looked worse there. I drove by the south end today (Sunday), and they were paving the shoulders. On the north end, they were striping, and except for informational signage, it looks ready to open.

In the picture above, the concrete pavement in the foreground was laid down since Friday night so it was somewhere between 20 and 36 hours old. The southbound ramp on the left is the only concrete paving to do. I bet that will be done by Wednesday. Beyond that, asphalt shoulders and a short asphalt transition remain.

The picture above is taken from Touby Pike. This section was essentially done before October 12 (the date of the Highway Marathon). Since then, signs have been put up, and the striping trucks were out today. The only paving that remains is a few hundred feet of the westbound US 35 west of US 31.

mukade

More pics from a week later and two weeks from opening...

Northbound US 31 at southern SR 931 interchange

Close-up view of the last bit of concrete paving at the same location on 11/8/2013

Southbound view from the same location

Southbound at Tipton-Howard county line on 11/1/2013

Southbound at Tipton-Howard county line on 11/8/2013

Northbound at Tipton-Howard county line on 11/1/2013

Northbound at Tipton-Howard county line on 11/8/2013

Southbound at northern interchange with SR 931 on 11/8/2013

Westbound on CR 400N at the US 35 northern interchange on 11/8/2013

roadman65

I was noticing that Cracker Barrel billboard on one of your pictures.  It list the store ahead 3 miles which might have to be changed some when the new freeway opens up.

I am confused though, as where is the US 31 traffic being temporarily shifted while this work takes place as I do not see any movement of vehicles around.  I doubt the state would allow US 31 to be closed during construction either due to its importance in commerce and travel.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mukade

Traffic has been shifted to the new northbound ramp from US 31 to current US 31/future SR 931. As of this date, Google Maps shows it pretty well for the northbound lane carriageway, except the southbound lanes are still under construction. I am assuming the US 31 bypass will open up on November 26 before holiday travel begins on the 27th. The main tasks remaining are signage and striping in the portions that were built in the last 12 months. The rest is done.

Cracker Barrel is about 2.5 miles north of that location on future SR 931.

roadman65

I did not see the NB GSV.  The aerial shots do not show the new freeway except for some clearings in the fields and an opening in the median where the new interchange is about.

I see that the intersection to the south of the interchange was replaced with an overpass.  What is interesting is not only planning for the future, as the overall aspiration is to make US 31 full freeway from Indy to South Bend, but the piers used.  I have not seen solid wall like piers since I left New Jersey.  The Garden State Parkway and NJ 18 are full of those kind and it is great to see them used in other parts of our great nation.

I am assuming that the speed limit will be 70 mph on the new freeway when opened or does Indiana have rules against non interstate designations not connected to the interstate system to be signed higher than 60 or 65?

Sheryl Crowe

theline

So far 65 is the highest limit for freeways that are non-interstates, like the St. Joseph Valley Parkway, part of which is also US 31. I doubt they go higher than that. It's silly to make that distinction. If a freeway is constructed to interstate standards, why not use the same limit as on interstates?

The new US 31 construction from Plymouth to South Bend is using similar walls. I think they dress up the road.

PurdueBill

Quote from: theline on November 17, 2013, 10:27:29 PM
So far 65 is the highest limit for freeways that are non-interstates, like the St. Joseph Valley Parkway, part of which is also US 31. I doubt they go higher than that. It's silly to make that distinction. If a freeway is constructed to interstate standards, why not use the same limit as on interstates?

Indeed, even Ohio, which I thought used to be way more conservative than Indiana as far as speed limits, now allows 70 on non-Interstate freeways that are Interstate-standard (and even on some portions that don't quite seem to be--cough, cough US 30 Bucyrus bypass cough, cough).  I find it very dissonant that Indiana now is more conservative than Ohio on speed limits overall; there are many compatible roads that are 60 in Indiana that are 65 in Ohio, as well as 65 and 70 respectively.  Never used to be that way.

monty

The new land route of US 31 around Kokomo just met its first tornado yesterday just south of the IN 22 / US 35 interchange. Debris all over that area. Some signage was damaged on 22 / 36.
monty

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: monty on November 18, 2013, 03:01:43 PM
The new land route of US 31 around Kokomo just met its first tornado yesterday just south of the IN 22 / US 35 interchange. Debris all over that area. Some signage was damaged on 22 / 36.

When I heard that a tornado had hit Kokomo, my first thought was, "I hope it doesn't delay the US 31 opening" as opposed to "I hope nobody was killed or seriously injured."

I plead guilty to being a terrible person.

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 18, 2013, 03:51:35 PM
Quote from: monty on November 18, 2013, 03:01:43 PM

When I heard that a tornado had hit Kokomo, my first thought was, "I hope it doesn't delay the US 31 opening" as opposed to "I hope nobody was killed or seriously injured."

Hey no one died (in Kokomo), so that's great! 

tdindy88

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 18, 2013, 03:51:35 PM

You're not the only one. I'm wondering if those highway signs, you know the ones that people here have bitched about with the unneeded space on the SR 22 line, got destroyed. Perhaps a redo? In all seriousness thought I am glad to here everyone is okay up there.

roadman65

The new US 31 construction from Plymouth to South Bend is using similar walls. I think they dress up the road.
Michigan for US 31 is up to 70 for the cars, but 65 for trucks.  Here in Florida we have the FL Turnpike and FL 528, both that are not interstates, but have a 70 maximum for ALL vehicles.

Those walls are cool as on NJ 18 and many other NJ Roads, even NY State has them, and they do dress up the road I will admit.

Sheryl Crowe

JREwing78

Quote from: roadman65 on November 18, 2013, 07:48:33 PM

Michigan for US 31 is up to 70 for the cars, but 65 for trucks.

Huh? Since when? Last I checked, the standard freeway speed limits in Michigan were 70 for cars, 60 for trucks.

roadman65

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 18, 2013, 09:05:38 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 18, 2013, 07:48:33 PM

Michigan for US 31 is up to 70 for the cars, but 65 for trucks.

Huh? Since when? Last I checked, the standard freeway speed limits in Michigan were 70 for cars, 60 for trucks.
Maybe it was, I will have to check my photos.  I do have one of the first speed limit assembly in Michigan on NB US 31, and have not looked at it in a while.

Sheryl Crowe

theline

I'll save you the trouble, roadman. It's 60 for trucks. Here's the first sign north of the border, from GSV:

JREwing78

There have been discussions about raising freeway speed limits in Michigan, but so far (as I've read, anyway), they haven't made it out of the legislature.

JREwing78

Quote from: PurdueBill on November 18, 2013, 12:50:37 AM
Indeed, even Ohio, which I thought used to be way more conservative than Indiana as far as speed limits, now allows 70 on non-Interstate freeways that are Interstate-standard (and even on some portions that don't quite seem to be--cough, cough US 30 Bucyrus bypass cough, cough).

Out of curiosity, what is substandard about that stretch of US-30? The short-spaced interchanges?

roadman65

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 21, 2013, 06:14:19 AM
There have been discussions about raising freeway speed limits in Michigan, but so far (as I've read, anyway), they haven't made it out of the legislature.
Its funny, as nearby I-80/ I-90 has it 65 for trucks with the regular speed limit for cars at 70. 

Then again, did not Michigan raise the off freeway speed limits that were always 55?  I do remember vaguely someone here mentioning that the speed limit on US 127 north of St. Johns was raised from the 55 mph I experienced back in 08 to something higher, so anything is possible.

Anyway, enough of this as we're supposed to be talking about US 31 in Kokomo.  Anything else we should move to a new thread or one that covers this area.  I am happy to discuss and not at all  trying to weasel out, but lets do it right and try to keep it on the level.

Sheryl Crowe

ysuindy

The ribbon cutting will be at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday November 26

https://twitter.com/INDOT_ECentral/status/403532349737934848/photo/1

Looks like Saturday's trip to and from Notre Dame will be my last must go through Kokomo trip. 

Heading up about five hours after the ribbon cutting on Tuesday to pick up my son for Thanksgiving.  Going to need to leave downtown Indy early enough to get through the new bypass in daylight.

vtk

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 21, 2013, 06:38:52 AM
Indeed, even Ohio, which I thought used to be way more conservative than Indiana as far as speed limits, now allows 70 on non-Interstate freeways that are Interstate-standard (and even on some portions that don't quite seem to be--cough, cough US 30 Bucyrus bypass cough, cough).

Out of curiosity, what is substandard about that stretch of US-30? The short-spaced interchanges?

AFAIK the Bucyrus Bypass is fine, as is the newer stretch between there and Mansfield.  The section in Mansfield, on the other hand, is very substandard.  Its closely-spaced interchanges with very tightly-curved ramps and narrow shoulders is exemplary of early-60s urban freeway design.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ysuindy on November 21, 2013, 09:46:51 AM
The ribbon cutting will be at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday November 26

https://twitter.com/INDOT_ECentral/status/403532349737934848/photo/1

Looks like Saturday's trip to and from Notre Dame will be my last must go through Kokomo trip. 

Heading up about five hours after the ribbon cutting on Tuesday to pick up my son for Thanksgiving.  Going to need to leave downtown Indy early enough to get through the new bypass in daylight.

My first pass will be northbound on Wednesday, likely after dark.  Return trip either Saturday or Sunday during daylight will be my first good look at the road. 

theline

My daughter will be on the bypass on the first day, though probably after dark, as she returns home for the holiday. I warned her to make any necessary pit stops in Westfield, to avoid having to detour off the new road.

PurdueBill

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 21, 2013, 06:38:52 AM

There are a couple bridges that look/feel narrow, especially the left shoulders, that are probably up to official specs or grandfathered in but still feel narrow somehow compared to the more modern bridges on the sections of US 30 more recently completed to the east and west.  It's probably just an illusion but still feels that way somehow.  Just this evening I was driving through there and felt the same way somehow.  (At least the work is done eastbound near one bridge where they were running only one lane for a while, with barriers squeezing things pretty tight for the open lane, but with no official reduction in speed limit--sorta unusual.)

I recall that the Bucyrus bypass was posted for 55 when not connected to freeways at either end; guess it was too short to bother with a higher limit? It's since gone to 65/55 and now 70 with no changes physically.  Shows how artificial the limits can be sometimes....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.