Harassment by law enforcement or security while out taking pictures

Started by MNHighwayMan, June 19, 2018, 07:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Not sure where to post this, so I'll just post it here.

For those of us who aren't content with only taking pictures while driving, has anyone ever been harassed or hassled by police while doing so? For me, personally, I have not, as I try to park in legal locations and respect other vehicle traffic while on foot or stopping at the side of the road. I've had several encounters with law enforcement of different kinds, but it has always been of the "are you okay?"/wellness check variety, usually because I'm pulled over with my hazard flashers on. Some have asked what I'm doing, but I've never gotten a negative response from the answer "just out taking pictures."

I'm curious to know if other road photography enthusiasts have had the same experience as me, or if they've been hassled by local/county/state/(or even military, if you happen to be near a base or whatever) police in some form or another, or even private security for local businesses and the like.

SSOWorld

I got hassled by a private security guy on a building lot in Chicago back in 2012.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 19, 2018, 07:11:11 PM
Not sure where to post this, so I'll just post it here.

For those of us who aren't content with only taking pictures while driving, has anyone ever been harassed or hassled by police while doing so? For me, personally, I have not, as I try to park in legal locations and respect other vehicle traffic while on foot or stopping at the side of the road. I've had several encounters with law enforcement of different kinds, but it has always been of the "are you okay?"/wellness check variety, usually because I'm pulled over with my hazard flashers on. Some have asked what I'm doing, but I've never gotten a negative response from the answer "just out taking pictures."

I'm curious to know if other road photography enthusiasts have had the same experience as me, or if they've been hassled by local/county/state/(or even military, if you happen to be near a base or whatever) police in some form or another, or even private security for local businesses and the like.

Those of us who attended the "Fort-to-Port" meet were chased off a job site by an Indiana state trooper who was less-than-pleasant in his demeanor.

In contrast, we were approached during my Charleston, WV meet many years ago by a West Virginia state trooper. We were stopped at the temporary end of the US 35 expressway (at WV 34) taking pictures. When I told him what was going on, he responded with a "be careful" and went on his merry way.

I'd suggest going to Walmart and getting a cheap high-viz vest to wear when out taking pictures. If nothing else, it'll make you look more official and less likely to be questioned.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: hbelkins on June 19, 2018, 07:16:41 PM
I'd suggest going to Walmart and getting a cheap high-viz vest to wear when out taking pictures. If nothing else, it'll make you look more official and less likely to be questioned.

You know, this is something I have thought of, but never actually done or bothered to get around to. I really should though, if only for my own safety. With the kind of car I drive, I really doubt people are going to think I'm a person working in any official capacity. :-D

oscar

I've had a few brief encounters with military police, most recently when I took a photo of an emergency callbox on one of Hawaii's newer and more remote highways. The MP pointed out that the highway there passed through an Army base, and that I really shouldn't be making non-emergency stops on that part of the highway (I think he really didn't want me to take pictures of a military airfield up ahead). The military tends to be really camera-shy, and an Act of Congress explicitly authorizes it to restrict photography of military facilities, so the MPs stand on firmer ground than civilian police or rent-a-cops.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jon daly

Quote from: oscar on June 19, 2018, 08:24:32 PM
I've had a few brief encounters with military police, most recently when I took a photo of an emergency callbox on one of Hawaii's newer and more remote highways. The MP pointed out that the highway there passed through an Army base, and that I really shouldn't be making non-emergency stops on that part of the highway (I think he really didn't want me to take pictures of a military airfield up ahead). The military tends to be really camera-shy, and an Act of Congress explicitly authorizes it to restrict photography of military facilities, so the MPs stand on firmer ground than civilian police or rent-a-cops.

Wait. There was a callbox?

oscar

Quote from: jon daly on June 19, 2018, 08:39:41 PM
Wait. There was a callbox?

Yes. In a remote area in the middle of Hawaii's Big Island, with no cellphone service.

Hawaii also has some callboxes in less remote areas.

abefroman329

I think this sort of thing is far more common when filming or photographing airplanes or trains, although even that depends on the scenario. Based on the videos I saw, it looked like quite a few amateur photographers were allowed to film the landing of the first A380 in revenue service at ORD.

US71

I just returned from a weekend in Texas and was "questioned" (for lack of a better term) by two different officers (different towns).

#1 was in Paducah, TX. The officer was friendly and we chatted for about 5-10 minutes. Pleasant fellow.

#2 was Dimmit, TX. This officer was more formal. He thought I was a TV news guy because of my van. I explained I was driving around taking photos, and after asking me which way I was headed next, then left me alone.

I usually find myself harassed by locals rather than police, often accused of trespassing, even though I'm on a public roadway.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

oscar

Quote from: US71 on June 19, 2018, 09:25:37 PM
I usually find myself harassed by locals rather than police, often accused of trespassing, even though I'm on a public roadway.

I've gotten similar treatment, especially when my photos included cars on super-narrow roads (to show that they really were one-lane roads, with no room to add a second lane or shoulders), which drew complaints about surveillance. I made a point thereafter of taking such photos only of cars moving away from me, so nobody's face would end up on the Web.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on June 19, 2018, 09:25:37 PM

Oh yes. I didn't mention that in my post, but yeah, that has absolutely been my experience too, getting harassed by local residents. I've had plenty of people come up to me and ask what I'm doing, a decent subset of which then get upset about it when I explain it. In those cases, I think these people just don't believe me. I even had one guy threaten to call the cops on me, and he sat and watched me from his front steps until I left, whereupon he took a picture of my car as I drove past. Not sure if he ever called them or not. I've tried to explain to some of these people that I can take pretty much whatever pictures I like so long as I'm on a public right-of-way, but that pretty much never works.

AsphaltPlanet

Just over two years ago, I was taking pictures while driving down the 407.  A cop got on the highway, and passed me.  Once the officer had passed me, I resumed taking photos (I use a big SLR camera, so it's fairly obvious when it's in use).  I took a couple of photos, and then the officer slowed down, and started matching my speed in another lane over.  I noticed this, and stopped taking photos, and didn't make eye contact.  After a while, because I was ignoring him, the officer hit the siren for a second, and then looked at me, made a motion like he was taking a picture while shaking his head, and then sped off.

Shame... it was early evening, I was driving east and I had beautiful light for photos.

I've had lots of encounters, though none recently.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Rothman

The only similar encounter that comes to mind is when I stopped to take a picture of the Tunkhannock Viaduct in PA and a local stopped to tell me of a better place to take a shot of it.

Got pulled over in Texas on my way to clinch Loving County.  My then-fiancee/now-wife was in the car, too.  He said I was speeding and asked where we were going.  My fiancee then told him about county clinching and that we were headed to Dallas.  He said we were way off the beaten path.  I asked how fast he thought we were going and he just pointedly said that he could go back to his car and come back to tell me.  I told him not to bother and we were on our way.  Probably all due to our then-Utah plates.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US71

Quote from: Rothman on June 19, 2018, 11:08:13 PM
The only similar encounter that comes to mind is when I stopped to take a picture of the Tunkhannock Viaduct in PA and a local stopped to tell me of a better place to take a shot of it.

That happened to me in Apache, OK. I was photographing a couple old buildings and someone directed me to a near perfect angle for my photos.

wxfree

I have no experience that quite qualifies, but I was once questioned, in a non-harassing way, by a DOT contractor while photographing a construction project and walking on an unopened road.  It was a Sunday and I expected that no one would be around, but unbeknown to me bridge beams for an overpass were being set nearby.  I assume they did that on a Sunday so that the road closures would cause the fewest problems.  The contractor person asked which paper I worked for, and I explained that I was there only for personal interest and that I knew to stay away from the active work area.  He then left me alone.

I also was once out photographing a road that was closed due to flooding.  A bridge that almost flooded, and its approaches, were closed.  I walked from the road closure to the bridge for photographs.  As I was leaving, a law enforcement vehicle stopped on the far side of the bridge and someone got out and moved the barricade.  The vehicle crossed the bridge and stopped so the driver could talk to someone else, who was walking toward the bridge.  I was already walking away so I didn't get run off, and I already had some pretty cool photos.

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Bruce

Plenty, by all sorts of "officers".

A bus driver told me to stop taking pictures of a station because I was "aiding the terrorists".

Security guards often don't know that sidewalks are public property, and that public property means unlimited rights to photograph from its bounds.

One random pedestrian tried to punch me for allegedly taking a picture of him, while I was instead taking a picture of a sign way above his head.

DaBigE

I got harassed by a cop while "on the job"...while wearing a safety vest and all. He claimed he thought I was taking pictures of a nearby grocery store that was for sale (not totally sure why that would matter anyway), but it just happened to be in the background of what I was actually photographing. Once my record came back on the up and up, he was chowing down on a huge helping of crow. He attempted to save face by making small talk about the road project. Gotta love small-town cops.  :pan:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

freebrickproductions

I've been stopped by police officers and security the most while out railfanning. The only times I've been "chased off" were on Redstone Arsenal (was taking pictures/video of some traffic lights when some officers came up and told me to stop) and when I set-up at a couple of different public crossings in Birmingham, AL that happened to be near some steel mills...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Scott5114

In 2008, I got yelled at by an ISTHA toll collector for taking a picture of the tiny stop sign on her toll booth. "No photos on the tollway!!" she cried.

Fuck you, lady.

Got pulled over in Texas on my way to clinch Loving County.  My then-fiancee/now-wife was in the car, too.  He said I was speeding and asked where we were going.  My fiancee then told him about county clinching and that we were headed to Dallas.  He said we were way off the beaten path.  I asked how fast he thought we were going and he just pointedly said that he could go back to his car and come back to tell me.  I told him not to bother and we were on our way.  Probably all due to our then-Utah plates.

The best way to answer a "where are you going" type of question is probably to simply state the next waypoint you're going to instead of the ultimate destination. If you had given your destination as "Mentone", it would both be true and not invite questions as to why you were so far off the "correct" route. Bonus points if you can give a halfway-plausible reason for going there (there's a restaurant you want to stop at, etc.).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Tom958

A security guy approached me as I was taking photos of a '50's freeway artifact in downtown Atlanta. It was right next to the loading dock on a high rise, and I hadn't realized that the building has been leased for federal government offices. I showed the guy my photos, and he'd seen me take them, so he sent me on my merry way. I can't blame him for that.

formulanone

Never been bothered by law enforcement over road photography. A few locals have made friendly chit-chat, but nothing threatening nor even stern. I once mistakenly parked on private property, and was told to "move along" once in Mansfield, Ohio. That's understandable. Two decades ago, I'd also parked on private property on what appeared to be an long-abandoned property, and was caught exploring alone; I was advised by the "owner" to not steal nor break anything, and be careful.

I've heard lots of similar complaints in the aviation-spotting field, and how some airport can be more overly concerned than others, but in all my travels, I've had only one flight attendant tell me to stop taking pictures. I'd snapped a few outside the plane, but noticed I took one of the inside the plane while we waited on an active taxiway. She demanded to see that photo, and asked for it to be deleted, even though there were exactly no people shown in the image.

jemacedo9

One time about 10 years ago, I was taking a picture of a lake and beach in Indian Lake NY in the Adirondacks, and as I was just starting to drive away, I saw a woman walking fast towards me, pointing. As I had started to pull away, I just kept going.

A few days later, I had a call on my home voice mail from a State Trooper from the Indian Lake barracks asking for a call back - but I had rarely checked my home voice mails then, so I didn't get the message for until a couple of months later.  I never returned the call.

Max Rockatansky

I was asked to leave one time while taking pictures of the outside of the Packard Plant and other public streets years ago.  I didn't think Detroit was the best place to draw myself into an argument so I left.  Got some cool pictures from Grand Boulevard at least.  Most of my stuff usually is so rural that there isn't anyone around to care I've found. 

ET21

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 20, 2018, 05:04:45 AM
In 2008, I got yelled at by an ISTHA toll collector for taking a picture of the tiny stop sign on her toll booth. "No photos on the tollway!!" she cried.

Fuck you, lady.

The best way to answer a "where are you going" type of question is probably to simply state the next waypoint you're going to instead of the ultimate destination. If you had given your destination as "Mentone", it would both be true and not invite questions as to why you were so far off the "correct" route. Bonus points if you can give a halfway-plausible reason for going there (there's a restaurant you want to stop at, etc.).

Toll takers are assholes. I had one yell at me for using the cash lanes with my I-Pass. I pointed over to the backup in the open toll lanes and the sensor above our heads and said "Sorry I'm being smarter."
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US71

Quote from: ET21 on June 20, 2018, 11:28:40 AM

Toll takers are assholes. I had one yell at me for using the cash lanes with my I-Pass. I pointed over to the backup in the open toll lanes and the sensor above our heads and said "Sorry I'm being smarter."

Considering they basically live in a box for 8 hours a day. I've been known to try to joke with them and some respond and others act like they have a stick up their butt.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.