News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

FHWA approves Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway

Started by Pink Jazz, March 10, 2015, 08:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

South Mountain Freeway gains final federal approval

It looks like the FHWA has approved the South Mountain Freeway.  I expect there will be some lawsuits, but I expect them to be tossed quickly.

Thing 342

Link appears to be broken. When clicked, it redirects me to a Viglink site telling me that the URL is invalid.

roadfro

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 10, 2015, 08:26:51 PM
South Mountain Freeway gains final federal approval

It looks like the FHWA has approved the South Mountain Freeway.  I expect there will be some lawsuits, but I expect them to be tossed quickly.

Corrected link: http://azdot.gov/media/News/news-release/2015/03/10/south-mountain-freeway-gains-final-federal-approval

Seems like a decent project overall. Nearly $2 Billion to construct...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

blanketcomputer

I am glad this project is moving forward. It will be interesting (and probably somewhat frustrating) to watch the effects of the interchange construction along I-10.

Henry

This is a good thing! Hopefully we'll be able to drive on it in five years, if not sooner.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hm insulators

I still think it should hook into I-10 at the Loop 101 in Tolleson, rather than 59th Avenue.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Pink Jazz

Quote from: hm insulators on March 11, 2015, 04:43:22 PM
I still think it should hook into I-10 at the Loop 101 in Tolleson, rather than 59th Avenue.

Downtown Tolleson would have to be bulldozed if that were to happen.

NE2

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 11, 2015, 05:10:30 PM

Downtown Tolleson is a distribution center and a Freightliner truck dealer? Arizona sucks.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

pumpkineater2

I can't wait to drive on it!  Hopefully this will bring some relief to I- 10.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

JKRhodes

Quote from: NE2 on March 11, 2015, 05:30:09 PM

Downtown Tolleson is a distribution center and a Freightliner truck dealer? Arizona sucks.

Once the 202 is tied in with the 10 at 55th ave, I-10 will have eight freeway to freeway interchanges within a 28 mile span. Once 85 is upgraded to a full freeway, that number will be ten within 50 miles.

Quote from: roadiejay on March 12, 2015, 01:37:53 AM

Once the 202 is tied in with the 10 at 55th ave, I-10 will have eight freeway to freeway interchanges within a 28 mile span. Once 85 is upgraded to a full freeway, that number will be ten within 50 miles.

Good thing they have SR 30 planned.

Sonic99

Quote from: roadiejay on March 12, 2015, 01:37:53 AM

This has been my biggest gripe for how they are planning this.

Starting at the 85, you have this to go through.

85 -> 303 - 12 miles
303 -> 101 - 9 miles
101 -> 202 - 5 miles
202 -> 17 - 4.5 miles
17 -> 202/51 - 4 miles
202/51 -> 17 - 3 miles
17 -> 143 - 3.5 miles
143 -> 60 - 3 miles
60 -> 202 - 6 miles

Sounds like a lot of weaving and merging.

That, and the construction process is going to be a mess along I-10/59th Ave. I just don't see how they are fitting a full freeway-to-freeway interchange in the middle of this...
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

roadfro

^ Lots of property acquisition...

An ADOT page linked earlier has a fairly detailed simulation video showing the whole freeway proposal.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

NE2

http://wwwa.azdot.gov/projects/south-mtn-final-eis/smfeis_ch_3_alternatives.pdf (pp. 49, 56) shows that it'll be entirely east of 59th, meaning it'll fuck the apartments but not the single-family homes.

p. 64 shows the I-11 corridor far to the west on Vulture Mine Road. This, currently a two-lane road, actually looks like a reasonable bypass right now.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

The I-10 relieving part may happen at a better scale with the building of AZ 30. Honestly without AZ 30, this stretch of Loop 202 would seem pretty indirect, long and out of the way for Interstate traffic compared to the straight forward route of I-10.

swbrotha100

I think the connection to I-10 could have been along 99th Ave. So maybe they redo the current I-10/Loop 101 interchange, and turn current 99th Ave into one-way frontage roads with the 201/101 in the middle for a few miles. Tolleson could have had residences and businesses and still have potential freeway frontage. Guess it's too late now.

Looking at the map regarding Proposition 300 in 1985, the Loop 202 connection to I-10 was originally proposed at around 55th Ave.

http://wwwa.azdot.gov/projects/south-mtn-final-eis/smfeis_ch_1_purpose-and-need.pdf

Look on page 6 of the pdf.

Pink Jazz

Looks like PARC is planning a lawsuit against ADOT and the FHWA.  Hopefully ADOT files a countersuit as criminal rather than civil charges against PARC and sends every single member of that criminal organization to jail.

Zeffy

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 20, 2015, 09:42:55 PM
Looks like PARC is planning a lawsuit against ADOT and the FHWA.  Hopefully ADOT files a countersuit as criminal rather than civil charges against PARC and sends every single member of that criminal organization to jail.

What exactly are they even filing a lawsuit for?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Zeffy on March 20, 2015, 09:47:29 PM

What exactly are they even filing a lawsuit for?

Just to stop the freeway.  This is why ADOT should file a countersuit for abuse of the legal system and interfering with ADOT's and the FHWA's legal authority.

swbrotha100

I've heard that one of the top people in PARC purposely bought two houses in Ahwatukee, along the current Pecos Road corridor.

Anyway, for those of you on Facebook, here's a page that supports the South Mountain Freeway:

https://www.facebook.com/Loop202

blanketcomputer

Quote from: Sonic99 on March 13, 2015, 12:06:48 AM

I just don't see how they are fitting a full freeway-to-freeway interchange in the middle of this...

Right-of-way maps and plans for the I-10 interchange can be seen here http://smfonlinehearing.com/maps/

DJStephens

ADOT seems to have built these newer roads in the phoenix metro area for the most part right the first time around.  The SW section or 202 should link directly into the 101 freeway, to make it coherent, and to continue the pattern, and finish the network correctly.   

Pink Jazz

Looks like PARC and several other criminal leftist organizations have filed a lawsuit to block the South Mountain Freeway:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2015/05/19/phoenix-south-mountain-freeway-lawsuit-abri/27578365/

Hopefully ADOT files a countersuit with criminal charges against all of those organizations to throw every single member of those organizations in jail.

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 19, 2015, 06:04:24 PM
Looks like PARC and several other criminal leftist organizations have filed a lawsuit to block the South Mountain Freeway:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2015/05/19/phoenix-south-mountain-freeway-lawsuit-abri/27578365/

Hopefully ADOT files a countersuit with criminal charges against all of those organizations to throw every single member of those organizations in jail.

Amen.

Anthony_JK

Sorry, but however you may oppose frivolous lawsuits like this one, calling opponents "criminal leftists" for exercising their Consitutional rights is way over the line. Their case is bogus and should be thrown out of court, but they have that right to express their grievances. Plus, there are plenty of lefties who aren't radically anti-freeway...I'm one of them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.