News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Utah Freeways

Started by roundabout, August 25, 2011, 04:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigManFromAFRICA88

Going to school in the morning on Foothill is a pain in the a** with the huge amounts of traffic. I say if this were an extension of I-215 or a SR 186 6 lane freeway/expressway going past the U and Rice-Eccles, it would take less time, maybe even less than using I-80 and 13th/7th East.
I dunno, that's what my dad (who works at the U) and me (I go to Rowland Hall) were thinking...

andy3175

Quote from: andy3175 on March 06, 2014, 11:59:15 PM
There is also the West Davis Corridor:

An update... http://www.sltrib.com/news/1816746-155/udot-freeway-shared-alternative-solution-lanes (11/12/14) states that the proposed West Davis freeway may instead be replaced with boulevard and street improvements.

Instead of building the proposed West Davis Corridor freeway, officials are studying converting existing arteries into boulevards – some with through-traffic lanes in the middle, separated by tree-lined medians from outside lanes just for local access.

That is part of a "shared solution" alternative that claims such boulevards – along with better signal timing, more lanes and innovative intersection designs that limit left turns – will "allow users to drive slower but travel faster."

The Shared Solution Coalition, which has said such options are better than the proposed controversial freeway, has just finished putting meat on the skeleton of its early proposals. The Utah Department of Transportation has posted those details online at http://udot.utah.gov/westdavis.

UDOT has moved back its schedule a couple times for deciding whether to build the freeway in order to consider that "shared solution" after opposition arose over the agency's proposed preferred alternative for a 19.7-mile, $587 million freeway that would be a northwestern extension of the Legacy Parkway.

Some federal agencies complained the freeway would destroy too many Great Salt Lake wetlands, and a variety of community groups said it may displace too many homes or create more urban sprawl. Several of them called jointly for consideration of the "shared alternative" instead.

Jefferies said UDOT once had 46 alternatives for the freeway, and they all went through such initial screening – and a handful advanced for additional study on their impacts.

The current schedule calls for UDOT to approve a final Environmental Impact Statement and choose its final alternative next spring – but Jefferies said that will be delayed if the "shared solution" moves to a second-level of screening, or even more detailed study later.

Newly posted details of the shared solution call for a grid system of new boulevards along existing major arteries in west Davis County, addition of bus rapid transit routes, incentives to increase use of mass transit and design of walkable, mixed-use communities along boulevards that would reduce the need for vehicle travel by having people live, work and play in the same area.

"In most cases, boulevard enhancements, including increasing the number of travel lanes, can be achieved within the existing right-of-way by re-purposing existing wide shoulders," the proposal says.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

authenticroadgeek

Most non-Interstate freeways aren't Interstate freeways for a reason. The main reason why SR-201, SR-85, and Legacy Parkway (I forgot it's SR-designation number xD) don't have I-designations is because they're not actual Interstates, and they're not auxiliary routes of them either.

By "not actual Interstates", I mean freeways that are entirely Intrastate. I think the I-86 in Idaho, for example, should be re-designated to an Idaho state route. But since, say, the I-84 goes to 2 other states after Utah, it can stay an Interstate.

skluth

Quote from: authenticroadgeek on April 13, 2015, 11:45:43 AM
Most non-Interstate freeways aren't Interstate freeways for a reason. The main reason why SR-201, SR-85, and Legacy Parkway (I forgot it's SR-designation number xD) don't have I-designations is because they're not actual Interstates, and they're not auxiliary routes of them either.

By "not actual Interstates", I mean freeways that are entirely Intrastate. I think the I-86 in Idaho, for example, should be re-designated to an Idaho state route. But since, say, the I-84 goes to 2 other states after Utah, it can stay an Interstate.

I-86 should just be a 3di. Even some longer 3di's go between states; I-295 (DE/NJ), I-684 (NY/CT). I don't really care what the number would be or even if they make it I-X15 or I-X84. I-515 is a fun number, but it really shouldn't be I-86.

Kniwt

Grading has started on Phase 4 of the Southern Parkway (UT 7) as a Super-2 between Warner Valley Road (Exit 10) and 4300 West (connection to Washington Dam Road). UDOT lists expected completion in January.

This will provide a continuous road from I-15 to just outside Hurricane, which could attract a lot of Zion-bound traffic.

In a related note, the speed limit on both existing parts of UT 7 was raised from 60mph to 65mph a couple of months ago.

Kniwt

Quote from: Kniwt on October 01, 2015, 09:50:48 PM
Grading has started on Phase 4 of the Southern Parkway (UT 7) as a Super-2 between Warner Valley Road (Exit 10) and 4300 West (connection to Washington Dam Road). UDOT lists expected completion in January.

Rover_0

This will provide a continuous road from I-15 to just outside Hurricane, which could attract a lot of Zion-bound traffic.

In a related note, the speed limit on both existing parts of UT 7 was raised from 60mph to 65mph a couple of months ago.

That's good to hear; there's been the need for a bypass of St. George of sorts (maybe UT-7 can become part of an extension of US-64 or 160 in the foreseeable future when it connects with UT-9). It's also interesting that the speed limit was raised, though it seems to coincide with the general statewide rise in speed limits (from 75 MPH to 80 on rural stretches of Interstate and from 65 to 70 on urban stretches).

Quote from: Kniwt on October 02, 2015, 12:13:19 PM

Good pictures! Doesn't look like much is going on right now as far as laying asphalt down is concerned, though.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Kniwt

Paving is in progress on the new segment of UT 7, the Southern Parkway. About half a mile remains unpaved, where grading work still is going on.

A few pics:

A few more here:
http://imgur.com/a/vjuIy

Kniwt

The new segment of SR 7 will open to cyclists only on the afternoon of December 19.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthernUtahBicycleAlliance/photos/a.209584392503728.45361.207805469348287/778511932277635/?type=3&theater
QuoteSUBA and our friends at UDOT have a little holiday surprise for all local cyclists...a chance to ride the newest and final section of the Southern Parkway before it is open to motorists. This Saturday, Dec 19 from noon to 3:00pm the new section of the Southern Parkway (between Warner Valley Road and Washington Dam Road) will be open only to cyclists...it opens to traffic later this month.

jakeroot

Quote from: Kniwt on October 25, 2015, 04:13:11 PM

I like that red concrete (paint?). Fits in well with the environment.

thenetwork

More common than not in the 4-corner states + Nevada.

In Western Colorado, earth toned concrete, guardrails, signposts and even high-tension powerlines are painted either brown or green.

jakeroot

Quote from: thenetwork on December 18, 2015, 10:55:56 AM

No doubt. It just stood out to me in that photo. I have seen plenty of objects painted earth-toned colors, but for some reason, concrete barriers weren't one of the things that I remember being painted.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on December 18, 2015, 08:45:40 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on December 18, 2015, 10:55:56 AM

No doubt. It just stood out to me in that photo. I have seen plenty of objects painted earth-toned colors, but for some reason, concrete barriers weren't one of the things that I remember being painted.

In Nevada, that color (or similar) is becoming a more common accent color to paint the exterior of bridges and abutments, with a lighter, sandier-looking brown/tan as the main color. This scheme is prominent along the west & north legs of the CC 215 beltway in Las Vegas, and also featured in the I-80 upgrade in Reno.

However, the concrete barrier walls on the inside view of the bridge from the roadway are usually painted white or left unpainted.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

halork

How far is the SR 7 designation intended to apply?

Rover_0

Quote from: halork on December 20, 2015, 05:53:40 AM
How far is the SR 7 designation intended to apply?

As of now, it's supposed to run from Exit 2 on I-15 and up the route built to the southwest corner of Sand Hollow Reservoir/4300 West in Hurricane (Segments 1-4), then it's supposed to continue around Sand Hollow Reservoir and north to SR-9 (Segment 5 in orange).

Both SR-7 and SR-9 from SR-7 west to I-15 comprise what's called often referred to as part of a greater "Dixie/St. George Beltway" (if not the complete Southern Parkway) as UDOT documents (which I can't find at this point) have mentioned SR-7 and the portion of SR-9 between SR-7 and I-15 are supposed to become expressway standard at some point in the future.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Kniwt

Segment 4 of UT 7 is just about complete and will be opening to traffic any day now. Pictures taken today.

Sub-Urbanite

So is Long Valley Road the exit at Washington Dam Road? Or is that 4500 W?

Did they include any exits between Warner Valley and Washington Dam? Seems like 3090 S would make sense.

AsphaltPlanet

That is a nice looking road.  Thanks for posting the pictures.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Kniwt

Quote from: NickCPDX on December 28, 2015, 02:02:08 PM
So is Long Valley Road the exit at Washington Dam Road? Or is that 4500 W?

Did they include any exits between Warner Valley and Washington Dam? Seems like 3090 S would make sense.

Long Valley Road is where the eastern orphan stub of the freeway previously ended. It's the connector to Washington Dam Road, but the name hasn't appeared on any signs before. Until now, the exit had no signs at all; it was just the point where all traffic had to exit. (It doesn't appear to show up in any online mapping, so no idea where UDOT got the name.)

No exits between 10 and 15. It seems reasonable that, someday, there might be one to support the new housing that's going in nearby and will be very close to the highway. But on the other hand, if the goal is for UT 7 to be a Zion relief route for tourists, there might not be much sentiment for adding exits, especially if doing so could add local traffic (which, for all intents and purposes, is nearly nonexistent on the existing highway) and force UDOT into four-laning the highway sooner than expected.

2014 AADT was just 1,805 from exits 6-7 ... only 500 from exits 7-10, and 1,000 from exit 15 to the end.
http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/uconowner.gf?n=23660615311933151

It'll be nice once all of UT 7 is divided four lane. I look forward to seeing pictures and reading about it. Though I wonder if these freeways will really help places like Hurricane or if that's just political bluff?  :confused:

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: 707 on January 12, 2016, 01:34:12 AM
It'll be nice once all of UT 7 is divided four lane. I look forward to seeing pictures and reading about it. Though I wonder if these freeways will really help places like Hurricane or if that's just political bluff?  :confused:

I can't imagine it doing much for Hurricane. It's not much / any of a time-saver from I-15 right now. There's limited opportunity to extend it north of UT 9 because of terrain.

I mean, it's a great airport access route, but as far as I'm concerned it's still quicker to stay on 15 and cut over.

Kniwt

The new segment of UT 7 officially opened to traffic today without ceremony or fanfare. UDOT press release:
http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2016/01/12/djg-newest-segment-of-state-route-7-opens-for-motorists

QuoteThe Utah Department of Transportation has opened the newest segment of state Route 7, also known as the Southern Parkway to motorists and cyclists.

The latest segment extends a connection from Sand Hollow Reservoir on the north to the St. George Airport and beyond to Exit 2 on Interstate 15 to the south and west. Prior to this connection, motorists had to exit the parkway and use local streets through the City of Washington to make the loop from Hurricane City.

Construction of the new roadway, valued at $21 million, includes a single lane in each direction with shoulder space for alternative transportation and connects previously constructed interchanges at Warner Valley and Washington Dam Road. The project design and recent construction also provide the foundation and corridor for future lanes and local connections as demand grows in eastern and southern Washington County.

The project was built using state funding with the addition of $220,000 of local funds for improvements.

Construction of the Southern Parkway began in fall 2007 with an interchange at milepost 2 on I-15, a local interchange adjacent to I-15, and groundwork for a divided expressway extending east toward St. George's River Road.

Pavement on the first seven-and-a-half miles of SR-7 reached the new St. George Airport by September 2010. By January 2014, a segment immediately north of the airport to Washington City and one near Sand Hollow added an additional seven miles of pavement and brought the number of interchanges up to seven. The new segment now brings the total number of continuous roadway miles through eastern and southern Washington County up to 19.

Future expansion of lanes and an extension of the Southern Parkway up to state Route 9 are not currently funded for construction.

Quote from: NickCPDX on January 12, 2016, 12:50:11 PM
Quote from: 707 on January 12, 2016, 01:34:12 AM

I can't imagine it doing much for Hurricane. It's not much / any of a time-saver from I-15 right now. There's limited opportunity to extend it north of UT 9 because of terrain.

I mean, it's a great airport access route, but as far as I'm concerned it's still quicker to stay on 15 and cut over.

So in other words, it's just a way to access an airport from I-15 near the Arizona border and from Hurricane?

Kniwt

Quote from: 707 on January 12, 2016, 11:38:23 PM
So in other words, it's just a way to access an airport from I-15 near the Arizona border and from Hurricane?

Today, perhaps. But the southwestern Utah (aka "Dixie") region is growing by leaps and bounds -- fifth fastest-growing metro in the country -- with population expected to double over the next 15-20 years. UT 7 is essentially defining a new expanded urban boundary, and new housing developments are already beginning to sprout along the route (most notably at Exit 6, running right up to the Arizona line, and just off the current end of the route at Sand Hollow Road).

I joke with friends, but with a bit of seriousness, that in 20 years, UT 7 is going to be lined from end to end with Home Depots and Applebees. Meanwhile, I-15 will get only more congested (a story this week says that there are now plans to six-lane it all the way from the state line to at least Exit 10), so folks will start looking for alternatives.

Quote from: Kniwt on January 13, 2016, 12:14:07 AM
Quote from: 707 on January 12, 2016, 11:38:23 PM

Today, perhaps. But the southwestern Utah (aka "Dixie") region is growing by leaps and bounds -- fifth fastest-growing metro in the country -- with population expected to double over the next 15-20 years. UT 7 is essentially defining a new expanded urban boundary, and new housing developments are already beginning to sprout along the route (most notably at Exit 6, running right up to the Arizona line, and just off the current end of the route at Sand Hollow Road).

I joke with friends, but with a bit of seriousness, that in 20 years, UT 7 is going to be lined from end to end with Home Depots and Applebees. Meanwhile, I-15 will get only more congested (a story this week says that there are now plans to six-lane it all the way from the state line to at least Exit 10), so folks will start looking for alternatives.

I need to start keeping up with population statistics. That's incredible! Will any of this anticipated expansion grow that part of Arizona and reach Nevada eventually?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.