News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-180 Wyoming

Started by Truvelo, April 27, 2009, 05:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truvelo

Can anyone tell me why this is an interstate when it has traffic lights on the mainline? Was it meant to be grade separated and the lights just temporary until something permanent was built? Look at Google Maps there's plenty of grass either side in which to build some ramps, if this is so will the junctions be improved or are the traffic lights here to stay?
Speed limits limit life

Chris

I wonder about that too, a friend of mine was scrolling through Google Earth yesterday and asked me if the I-180 in Cheyenne wasn't a mistake by Google.

yanksfan6129

OK, the deal is, they wanted a spur into downtown Cheyenne from an interstate that was fully up to interstate standards, but I think that there wasn't enough traffic to justify it or something. So instead, they just made it an arterial and gave it an Interstate designation so it would be eligible for interstate funding.

corco

I believe what happened was that they originially planned to make it a full freeway, FEDERAL MONEY was then used to help design it, and then both the feds and Wyoming realized there was absolutely no reason to build an interstate spur into Cheyenne, but federal money had already been spent, so voila! loophole!

Sykotyk

The way I was told, they had planned a full-scale interstate spur along the Central Avenue corridor. The issue, was that it would limit access from those on the south side of I-80 (i.e., no sidewalks, etc). And remove a main street into town.

The compromise was to upgrade Central Avenue with at-grade intersections, no direct on/off ramps to I-80, to easily allow those on the south side of Central Avenue access to the new "I-180". Since the road was built with interstate highway funds, and since it had always been planned as "I-180", it was signed, even though it really should've just been unsigned as Central Avenue only.

Still, an interesting trivia question. And I've driven it, nice road for what it is.

Sykotyk

Revive 755

Doesn't look like it would be too hard to complete I-180 as a freeway; just turn Warren and Central Avenues into one-way outer roads, depress or elevate the road in the center, and build a couple flyovers at the I-80 interchange.

As for sidewalks, put a separate bike path between the outer roads and the main lanes, with tunnels under any ramps.  Or is Cheyenne one of those cities with a surprising amount of crime relative to its size so tunnels would be unwise?

corco

No crime in Cheyenne, but don't be fooled by satellite imagery- the twin viaducts over the railroad are far too narrow to be of interstate standard. The speed limit is 45 on those suckers and doesn't need to be a mile an hour higher, even if it were freeway all the way to I-80.

There isn't nearly enough traffic to justify cutting off everyone between I-80 and the railroad tracks, given that there are only two other railroad track crossings, neither of which go near downtown.

The road is fine as is, but maybe would just be better signed as US-85 (which, actually, there is more signage in the Cheyenne area for US 85 in that area than I-180...outside of roadgeeks I don't think anybody calls it I-180- here in Wyoming it's either the Greeley Highway (although when I think of Greeley Highway it's usually in reference to everything south of I-80), Central (even though the real Central runs parallel to it, almost everyone I know calls it Central) , or US 85 (heard occasionally on the radio)

And honestly, most I-80 traffic doesn't even use I-180. Nobody coming from eastbound I-80 or northbound I-25 would take I-180, it's much faster to get off at Lincolnway (which is well signed as Cheyenne City Center), coming from southbound it's faster to get off at Central, so only I-80 west traffic sees any advantage. Even there though, the College Drive exit is well signed as I-80 BUSINESS, so even though it takes longer I'd imagine lots of people get off there looking for the city center.

The majority of I-180's traffic, from my experience, is just coming up US-85 from south Cheyenne and is headed downtown.

I'd pull the interstate signs down if I did anything at all with it, but there's no point in spending money upgrading it to a freeway.

Bryant5493

So, is the route well-signed with I-180 trailblazers?

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

corco

It's well signed as both I-180 and US-85, with signs at reassurance shields and the junctions. When you approach from side streets besides Lincolnway though it says "JCT US-85," and then the I-80 exits off I-25 are signed as I-80 TO  US-85 as opposed to I-180.

The US-85 sign is also listed first on the exits for I-180 off I-80

Bryant5493

Oh, okay. Thanks.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Voyager

The joys of funding.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Hellfighter

Perhaps they should move I-180 farther out so they could give people access to the downtown, but still have it up to Interstate standards.

corco

Cheyenne just isn't that big of a town and is more than sufficiently served with I-25 and I-80 as full freeways

Hellfighter

How about just replace I-180 with a business loop I-80?

corco

There already is a business loop 80 that runs along Lincolnway through Cheyenne. All eastbound traffic headed for downtown uses Business I-80, not I-180

I-180 is multiplexed with Business Loop 25 though, so that works

Revive 755

Quote from: Cheyenne just isn't that big of a town and is more than sufficiently served with I-25 and I-80 as full freeways

What is the population growth rate of the Cheyenne area?  If there is significant growth, they should at least try and reserve a corridor for a future beltway.

corco

Cheyenne is fairly stagnant and will remain that way for a while. They're at a hair under 53,000 right now and  stagnant. What I've found in just six months in Wyoming is that this place actively discourages growth more than almost anywhere else. We're 50 out of 50 in population and everybody, state government included, is very proud of that fact.

That said, most growth in Southern Wyoming is going to happen probably more towards Rock Springs and Rawlins due to the presence of resources

Quillz

Quote from: corco on April 27, 2009, 09:11:46 AM
I believe what happened was that they originially planned to make it a full freeway, FEDERAL MONEY was then used to help design it, and then both the feds and Wyoming realized there was absolutely no reason to build an interstate spur into Cheyenne, but federal money had already been spent, so voila! loophole!
So, essentially, it could be considered a non-chargable Interstate, similar to I-238 in California, and thus the shield in both instances exist solely for brand name recognition?

I, too, have been wondering why I-180 can possibly be allowed to exist when it's not even really a freeway, let alone one built to proper interstate standards.

texaskdog

Business Loop 25????

Sykotyk

kdog, it already is part of Business Loop I-25 (which follows, mostly US-85 through town).

I-180 really should just be unsigned and left as US-85. Keep the federal funding if need be, but the road doesn't do nearly enough as corco has stated. Most east/north traffic takes Lincolnway (the easiest way into downtown), and south traffic probably would take exit 12 onto US85 south. Westbound still probably would take BL I-80 instead of I-180. I-180 mostly serves as the shortest route south of I-80 to downtown and for the housing just north of I-80 and south of the railroad tracks. I've driven it a couple times. There is no need for an interstate spur for Cheyenne. The city is served, closely, by two major interstate routes and widely acknowledges US-30 and US-85 in its vicinity.

There, also, is no foreseeable need for a beltway around the city. The population and distribution of the population don't warrant it. Cheyenne, for being a state capital with military installations and a major interstate hub just doesn't require that much capacity.

One problem I have with Wyoming is the bypasses that are built are built are arterials with no plans of ever being able to upgrade them. Such as Rock Spring's bypass or Casper's. Both of which are seem counter-intuitive.

ethanman62187

This should be a business spur of I80.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

agentsteel53

Quote from: ethanman62187 on October 19, 2011, 05:52:49 PM
This should be a business spur of I80.

why the Hell did you dredge up this thread to make such a pointless observation?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

brad2971

Quote from: corco on April 30, 2009, 01:42:53 PM
Cheyenne is fairly stagnant and will remain that way for a while. They're at a hair under 53,000 right now and  stagnant. What I've found in just six months in Wyoming is that this place actively discourages growth more than almost anywhere else. We're 50 out of 50 in population and everybody, state government included, is very proud of that fact.

That said, most growth in Southern Wyoming is going to happen probably more towards Rock Springs and Rawlins due to the presence of resources

Well, there's this little thing called the Niobrara Formation  southeast of town that could prove to be fairly significant. :biggrin: Even without that, Wyoming is quite prosperous, thankyouverymuch, without more people moving in than what is really necessary. After all, Campbell County is home to coal mines that produce 40+% of the nation's coal, which in turn generates up to 20% of the nation's electricity, and gets along just fine with about 46000 people in it.

corco

QuoteWell, there's this little thing called the Niobrara Formation  southeast of town that could prove to be fairly significant.  Even without that, Wyoming is quite prosperous, thankyouverymuch, without more people moving in than what is really necessary. After all, Campbell County is home to coal mines that produce 40+% of the nation's coal, which in turn generates up to 20% of the nation's electricity, and gets along just fine with about 46000 people in it.

Oh, I know- you're looking at a proud UW alum.

I wouldn't be too excited about the Niobrara Formation though- it's huge, but it's looking like it's going cost as much to extract that oil shale as it's worth. Wyoming is badass though, and is as sound economically as you can get. I really miss it :(

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.