News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US-50 Bypass around Delta Has Begun!!!

Started by thenetwork, December 18, 2012, 02:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

65 years in the making, ground was recently broken on the new US-50 bypass/truck route around downtown Delta.

http://www.deltatruckroute.com/

Should be ready to go by Spring of 2014.

The High Plains Traveler

From what I saw in the link, this is going to be a city of Delta project. So, for now it won't be designated as an actual signed bypass or the mainline of U.S. 50 until, like in Montrose, there is a route swap. This will function more like Riverside Parkway in Grand Junction, probably signed as (at least) a truck bypass. Am I correct?
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

thenetwork

As far as I know, they intend to keep US-50 on it's existing alignment through Delta (they better, as they just replaced the overhead BGSs at the CO-92 junction).  It's more like a relief route for those who don't wish to get caught at the RR tracks just north of CO-92, nor at any of the 5 traffic signals through downtown Delta. 

Meanwhile, just down the road in Montrose, the overhead BGSs at the intersection of Townsend & Main (Old US-50 and US-550's original northern terminus) have been quickly disappearing.  At last check, CO-90 is pretty much a "hidden" route as there is really no notation of where CO-90 starts (or ends) now at that point.  And there still isn't any official US-550 reassurance markers between Main and San Juan Ave. -- the street that US-50 is now following around downtown -- so it's kind of hard to tell if US-550 has been extended to San Juan Ave., or if US-550 now does not intersect with it's parent route anymore.

Milepost61

Yeah I've heard nothing of US 50 being rerouted onto it, since it's a city project. I would think it will end up with some "Truck 50" signs like Montrose (pre-swap) and Lamar.

J N Winkler

And here I was, thinking this was a bypass of Delta, Utah . . .
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

are the two cities named for the same thing?  seems awfully coincidental, being pretty close together, on the same road.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

It is possible.  Wikipedia says Delta, Colorado is so named because it contains the confluence of the Uncompahgre and Gunnison rivers.  Delta, Utah is not obviously a confluence, but it is on the Sevier River, and there is a nearby reservoir (Gunnison Reservoir) and Google Maps shows what appear to be three drainages leading into it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 21, 2012, 01:31:13 PM
It is possible.  Wikipedia says Delta, Colorado is so named because it contains the confluence of the Uncompahgre and Gunnison rivers.  Delta, Utah is not obviously a confluence, but it is on the Sevier River, and there is a nearby reservoir (Gunnison Reservoir) and Google Maps shows what appear to be three drainages leading into it.
I thought an additional significant coincidence was Gunnison Bend Reservoir in Delta UT and the totally unrelated Gunnison River flowing through Delta CO.

kphoger

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on December 21, 2012, 06:38:57 PM
I thought an additional significant coincidence was Gunnison Bend Reservoir in Delta UT and the totally unrelated Gunnison River flowing through Delta CO.

Not totally unrelated, since the reservoir and the river are both named after Captain John Williams Gunnison.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2012, 02:11:58 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on December 21, 2012, 06:38:57 PM

Not totally unrelated, since the reservoir and the river are both named after Captain John Williams Gunnison.
Good point, though I was thinking in hydrologic terms.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.