News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How do you listen to your music while you drive

Started by roadman65, August 04, 2018, 11:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just how do you obtain your music while you drive

From your phone via Aux Port/Bluetooth/USB (CarPlay/Android Auto) into your car's speaker system
15 (28.8%)
CD/Cassettes
7 (13.5%)
Typical Radio
15 (28.8%)
Satellite Radio (Sirius XM)
12 (23.1%)
Like AM Talk or other
3 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

hbelkins

I replaced the stereo in my old Toyota Tacoma truck with one that has both a USB port with something called "iPod mode" and an AUX jack. The iPod mode lets you control the music either from the head unit or the iPod. I always chose the iPod.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 05, 2018, 10:01:42 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 05, 2018, 04:10:22 PM
I have the 256 GB micro SD card, I just need the device.
This isn't a phone, but devices like these might be good for your SD card:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunpak-72-in-1-High-Speed-Card-Reader/16641239

I'm not sure how you'd use a card reader to listen to music. My MacBook Pro has the capability to copy music over to the card. I need a device in which I can insert the card to play the music with.

This is one of Apple's big FAILs -- not allowing expansion of the built-in internal memory in its devices. If iPhones or iPads had card slots the way most Android devices do, the problem is solved.

I do have an UltiFlash device that plugs into the phone, and allows charging, but it has a proprietary music player that doesn't handle gapless albums (like live albums where one song seques into the next without a cap in the sound) so I don't consider it to be a viable option.

jakeroot

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 06, 2018, 02:05:57 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on August 06, 2018, 01:30:27 PMand the classic rock station plays a shitty talk show during my whole morning commute, no music
When I moved back to Chicago, WLUP-FM had a surprisingly non-shitty morning drive duo. They were quickly replaced by Mancow. Then the station changed formats to Christian contemporary.

I would have listened to WDRV back when Steve Downes was running things. Listening to Master Chief on the way to work every day...life complete.

Quote from: hbelkins on August 06, 2018, 04:56:41 PM
This is one of Apple's big FAILs -- not allowing expansion of the built-in internal memory in its devices. If iPhones or iPads had card slots the way most Android devices do, the problem is solved.=

Not necessary anymore. Most modern phones have a large amount of built-in storage, plus, considering all the online services to keep things off-device, it's easy to keep from filling up.

Quote from: hbelkins on August 06, 2018, 04:51:27 PM
I replaced the stereo in my old Toyota Tacoma truck with one that has both a USB port with something called "iPod mode" and an AUX jack. The iPod mode lets you control the music either from the head unit or the iPod. I always chose the iPod.

Here in Washington (as in California as well), you are not allowed to use an electronic device while driving, unless it's in a dock (where my phone is). So controlling the device through the stereo is the only option without a dock. That might be why they allow both options.

Nanis

REEL TO REEL FTW

Seriously though, I listen in silence or turn on the radio.
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

vdeane

Quote from: jakeroot on August 06, 2018, 07:29:33 PM
This is one of Apple's big FAILs -- not allowing expansion of the built-in internal memory in its devices. If iPhones or iPads had card slots the way most Android devices do, the problem is solved.=

Not necessary anymore. Most modern phones have a large amount of built-in storage, plus, considering all the online services to keep things off-device, it's easy to keep from filling up.
Well, if you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone.  And even then, having storage of photos/music be external is good to have.  My friend's girlfriend's iPhone got damaged and now her data is lost.  On an Android, it would be as simple as popping out the SD card.  Of course, it would also be as simple as popping in a new battery (at least on some phones).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

Quote from: vdeane on August 06, 2018, 09:02:40 PM

Well, if you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone.  And even then, having storage of photos/music be external is good to have.  My friend's girlfriend's iPhone got damaged and now her data is lost.  On an Android, it would be as simple as popping out the SD card.  Of course, it would also be as simple as popping in a new battery (at least on some phones).

I backup the photos off my phone every month or so...iCloud does the rest. While 32 GB is sufficient for the 30-40 apps I need, I'd prefer 64 GB. But you have to pay an extra $100-200 for that. Or just pay $100 for more storage but in a lesser model.

Apple plays a mean shell game...

Recent Model
High Capacity
Low Price
Availability

(pick two)

D-Dey65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 05, 2018, 10:01:42 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 05, 2018, 04:10:22 PM
I have the 256 GB micro SD card, I just need the device.
This isn't a phone, but devices like these might be good for your SD card:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunpak-72-in-1-High-Speed-Card-Reader/16641239

I'm not sure how you'd use a card reader to listen to music.
In my previous car, I used to do it quite often. Just stick the SD card in the card reader, and stick the card reader in the USB drive in your car stereo.

hbelkins

As I've often said, cloud storage is of no use if you are frequently in areas with poor or no cell phone service. And what if you have a limited amount of data on your plan? You pay your cell service provider for access to your own music.

cahwyguy

Here in Washington (as in California as well), you are not allowed to use an electronic device while driving, unless it's in a dock (where my phone is). So controlling the device through the stereo is the only option without a dock. That might be why they allow both options.

In California, the law about devices specifically applies to phones -- it does not appear to cover devices like iPod Classics (although a dock is still a good idea, and I use one).
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on August 07, 2018, 11:23:23 AM

As I've often said, cloud storage is of no use if you are frequently in areas with poor or no cell phone service. And what if you have a limited amount of data on your plan? You pay your cell service provider for access to your own music.

In that instance, yes, cloud storage is no good. But you could keep photos and videos off-device, things which do take up a considerable amount of room. That gives you more room for music.

To be honest, I'm rarely in a situation without reception, so it's something I forget to consider.

How much storage does your current phone have? And how many songs do you have in your library? Consider purchasing an iPhone with 128 or 256 GB of storage, if you must have an Apple device. That's a ton of music in either case.

Quote from: cahwyguy on August 07, 2018, 12:40:01 PM

In California, the law about devices specifically applies to phones -- it does not appear to cover devices like iPod Classics (although a dock is still a good idea, and I use one).

Ahh, I thought it was a bit more encompassing. Here in WA, the use of a "personal electronic device" is banned (RCW 46.61.672), which basically includes everything except things manufactured primarily for hand-free use (such as built in stereos, I believe). The only things it doesn't include are two-way radios, citizens band radios, or amateur radio equipment.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on August 07, 2018, 02:58:59 PM
Ahh, I thought it was a bit more encompassing. Here in WA, the use of a "personal electronic device" is banned (RCW 46.61.672), which basically includes everything except things manufactured primarily for hand-free use (such as built in stereos, I believe). The only things it doesn't include are two-way radios, citizens band radios, or amateur radio equipment.

Cameras?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

In that instance, yes, cloud storage is no good. But you could keep photos and videos off-device, things which do take up a considerable amount of room. That gives you more room for music.

To be honest, I'm rarely in a situation without reception, so it's something I forget to consider.

How much storage does your current phone have? And how many songs do you have in your library? Consider purchasing an iPhone with 128 or 256 GB of storage, if you must have an Apple device. That's a ton of music in either case.

I dump my photos to my computer every so often, then back up the computer. I typically just use my phone's camera for quick shots; I have a camera to use as my major, primary photo-taking device. My phone has 64 GB, but remember that I don't want to use my phone as a music player. I have a 160 GB iPod classic that has about 130 GB of music on it, and I've got gobs of MP3s on hard drives, CDs and DVDs, that I have not copied to the player. I just bought my used iPhone 6 last year. A device with a card slot and a couple of 256 GB micro SD cards, and I would have my entire music library at my fingertips.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on August 07, 2018, 03:15:51 PM

Cameras?

I think I've seen on the news people being ticketed for using cameras while driving (WSP is aggressive about enforcement). The law would seem to include them. This makes roadgeeking hard up here without a dashcam.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on August 07, 2018, 03:59:01 PM

I dump my photos to my computer every so often, then back up the computer. I typically just use my phone's camera for quick shots; I have a camera to use as my major, primary photo-taking device. My phone has 64 GB, but remember that I don't want to use my phone as a music player. I have a 160 GB iPod classic that has about 130 GB of music on it, and I've got gobs of MP3s on hard drives, CDs and DVDs, that I have not copied to the player. I just bought my used iPhone 6 last year. A device with a card slot and a couple of 256 GB micro SD cards, and I would have my entire music library at my fingertips.

Sounds like you need an Android phone! You could always buy an older Android phone with expandable memory, and use that as your music player.

There's a reason I dropped Apple so many years ago. I personally take a ton of videos on my phone, always in at least 1080p, so I need a lot of space. The last iPhone I had (iPhone 6 with 128GB of storage) still wasn't enough; I had to pull media off the device every now and then to avoid filling it up. Plus I have tens of thousands of photos. Now, with all the cloud-backup solutions, I'm not so worried about having a ton of space, but at least I have option.

One issue I have had with external storage on my android phones is corruption. I have had two micro SD cards go corrupt on me, and I lost quite a few photos (not thousands -- just a few dozen) and some videos refuse to play back, though I can see the thumbnail, which is almost worse than seeing nothing, especially if it's a video I really needed to see again. I've never had any issues with corrupt storage until I started using micro SD cards.

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on August 07, 2018, 05:09:42 PM
Sounds like you need an Android phone! You could always buy an older Android phone with expandable memory, and use that as your music player.

I have too much invested in iOS app. Plus, we use iDevices for work, and anything I put on my work devices I can put on my personal devices, and vice versa, as I use the same Apple ID on all of them.

That's my plan -- find an older Android phone and use it as a wi-fi-only device. Walmart actually has some inexpensive tablets but they only take up to a 32 GB card, and I have a 256 GB I want to use. I may have mentioned before, I have an old Android phone that will use the 256 GB cards, but it has a slide-out physical keyboard and thus is a bit awkward to hold.

QuoteOne issue I have had with external storage on my android phones is corruption. I have had two micro SD cards go corrupt on me, and I lost quite a few photos (not thousands -- just a few dozen) and some videos refuse to play back, though I can see the thumbnail, which is almost worse than seeing nothing, especially if it's a video I really needed to see again. I've never had any issues with corrupt storage until I started using micro SD cards.

That's the best argument for backing up to your computer, and then backing up the computer. By copying music onto an SD card to use for playback, you have the original files elsewhere and if the card goes bad, you can reformat and then copy the tunes back over.

Try having a card go bad before you've taken it out of the camera and copied the files over. That happened to me after a trip a few years ago when I lost a whole day of pictures from northern and central Ohio, and has happened to me at work a couple of times as well.

Rothman

Wi-fi only?  You'll have a hotspot with you?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

briantroutman

^ If he's just using it to play music tracks off a local storage device (like an SD card), the lack of an Internet connection won't be an issue.

hbelkins

Quote from: briantroutman on August 08, 2018, 12:08:36 AM
^ If he's just using it to play music tracks off a local storage device (like an SD card), the lack of an Internet connection won't be an issue.

Correct. If I need a hotspot, both my work iPad and my personal iPhone have that feature enabled. However, there's that little issue of poor service in the eastern Kentucky mountains...

inkyatari

Quote from: hbelkins on August 08, 2018, 03:14:44 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on August 08, 2018, 12:08:36 AM

Correct. If I need a hotspot, both my work iPad and my personal iPhone have that feature enabled. However, there's that little issue of poor service in the eastern Kentucky mountains...

Heck, I have an issue getting cell service just 8 miles west of where I live in Illinois, and that's only a few miles south of I-80.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Thing 342

Historically, I have used the AUX port in my Accord's center console. After upgrading to a phone without a headphone jack (and not wanting to deal with seemingly universally crap USB-C headphone adapters), I bought a tiny bluetooth adapter that plugs in to the port and connects to my phone. It works pretty well, though it's occasionally irritating getting it to pair upon entering the car.

Quote from: Buck87 on August 05, 2018, 03:26:44 PM
FM Radio. I have a bunch of presets and bounce back and forth between them a lot picking and choosing songs/avoiding commercials.

Being about halfway between Cleveland and Toledo I'm able to pick up several stations from both of them plus the local stations in between, so there's usually a lot to pick from.
Yup.  I have six FM presets: both oldies, both classic rocks, an 80s/90s hits station, and a station that plays everything.  104.3 WKZG (the 80s/90s hits station) is the one that plays the highest proportion of stuff I like, and I love their 80s weekends.

Quote from: doorknob60 on August 06, 2018, 01:30:27 PM
SiriusXM almost all the time. I quickly grew tired of FM here (and the classic rock station plays a shitty talk show during my whole morning commute, no music). I have CDs and Music on my phone (Bluetooth) but I only use that on longer road trips (mostly in heavily forested areas or the Columbia Gorge, where SXM is spotty, but sometimes also when we want a change of pace). When I'm just driving around town, I like just turning on my car, and then having tons of music ready for me (I have 10 presets) without having to fuss about with my phone. Usually when we play anything else, my wife handles setting up the phone or switching CDs, etc.
105.7 WAPL?  I hate their morning show!
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

mgk920

Quote from: 20160805 on August 08, 2018, 08:37:45 PM
FM Radio. I have a bunch of presets and bounce back and forth between them a lot picking and choosing songs/avoiding commercials.

Being about halfway between Cleveland and Toledo I'm able to pick up several stations from both of them plus the local stations in between, so there's usually a lot to pick from.
Yup.  I have six FM presets: both oldies, both classic rocks, an 80s/90s hits station, and a station that plays everything.  104.3 WKZG (the 80s/90s hits station) is the one that plays the highest proportion of stuff I like, and I love their 80s weekends.

SiriusXM almost all the time. I quickly grew tired of FM here (and the classic rock station plays a shitty talk show during my whole morning commute, no music). I have CDs and Music on my phone (Bluetooth) but I only use that on longer road trips (mostly in heavily forested areas or the Columbia Gorge, where SXM is spotty, but sometimes also when we want a change of pace). When I'm just driving around town, I like just turning on my car, and then having tons of music ready for me (I have 10 presets) without having to fuss about with my phone. Usually when we play anything else, my wife handles setting up the phone or switching CDs, etc.

94.3 FM (WYDR) is the NE Wisconsin 'everything' station that most of my co-workers can agree on.  (Yes, I have had to live under 100.3 FM (current country) and 102.1 FM (contemporary Christian) bosses for a few months each over the past couple of years, too.  :banghead: )  When I was young, 94.3 FM (then WROE) played pure 'elevator music'.

104.3 FM (WKZG) does replays of 1980s-era Casey Kasum American Top 40 shows from 8a-noon on Sundays.  I like those.   :nod:

Has 105.7 FM (WAPL) ever changed their playlist from what it was back in the mid-1980s (when they were consistently pulling in a full 25% of the area's listening audience - while most radio station PDs would kill for 10%)?

Most of the time, though, when I have a broadcast radio turned on for myself I usually have it tuned to Chicago or Milwaukee AMs, local stuff here overall is pretty dullsville and the iPod does the music duties.

Mike

abefroman329

It's so hard to listen to the old Casey Kasem shows without thinking of his meltdown over the story about the little dog named Snuffles. But they are fascinating to listen to.

Big John

Quote from: mgk920 on August 08, 2018, 10:07:00 PM
Quote from: 20160805 on August 08, 2018, 08:37:45 PM

94.3 FM (WYDR) is the NE Wisconsin 'everything' station that most of my co-workers can agree on.  (Yes, I have had to live under 100.3 FM (current country) and 102.1 FM (contemporary Christian) bosses for a few months each over the past couple of years, too.  :banghead: )  When I was young, 94.3 FM (then WROE) played pure 'elevator music'.

104.3 FM (WKZG) does replays of 1980s-era Casey Kasum American Top 40 shows from 8a-noon on Sundays.  I like those.   :nod:

Has 105.7 FM (WAPL) ever changed their playlist from what it was back in the mid-1980s (when they were consistently pulling in a full 25% of the area's listening audience - while most radio station PDs would kill for 10%)?

Most of the time, though, when I have a broadcast radio turned on for myself I usually have it tuned to Chicago or Milwaukee AMs, local stuff here overall is pretty dullsville and the iPod does the music duties.

Mike
Well, WAPL has to have changed its playlist at least once in my lifetime (I was born in 1992), as they seem to play a higher frequency of 90s stuff than I'd expect on a classic rock station (and virtually ignore the 60s; even 103.9 WVBO isn't quite that bad with its ignoring of actually old stuff); in high school WAPL was actually the station they piped into the bathrooms.  Nothing like taking a dump to "Bohemian Rhapsody"!  :-P

I would HATE having 100.3 on all day at work!  Even 45 minutes of it is enough to drive me batcrap insane (which I know from experience...thanks, 10th grade PE teacher!)

Edit: Congratulations on me reaching "State Route" status!
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.