News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

3 Major Northern Virginia parkways (*NOT* NPS) now primary routes.

Started by froggie, February 16, 2012, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 24, 2012, 03:46:51 PM
The Washington Post is (finally) reporting the number change (not really news for anyone in this forum).

Why change the numbers of the Fairfax, Prince William and Franconia parkways? Here's why

QuoteThe route number for the Fairfax County Parkway may have been odd – Route 7100 – but at least you could remember it. Same with the Prince William Parkway. Route 3000. Who ever heard of Route 3000? But for road signs or GPS or map use, they at least were memorable, if odd.

QuoteNow, they're changing. The Fairfax County Parkway is becoming Route 286. The Prince William Parkway is becoming Route 294. The Franconia-Springfield Parkway, formerly Route 7900, is becoming Route 287. None of these should be confused with the Dulles Toll Road, which is Route 267.

See text bolded and underlined. Typical sloppy reporting from your average Post reporter.

I don't see what's so difficult about it. Aside from radio traffic reporters, I've never heard anyone refer to those roads by number.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 24, 2012, 04:35:30 PM
The Washington Post is (finally) reporting the number change (not really news for anyone in this forum).

Why change the numbers of the Fairfax, Prince William and Franconia parkways? Here's why

QuoteThe route number for the Fairfax County Parkway may have been odd – Route 7100 – but at least you could remember it. Same with the Prince William Parkway. Route 3000. Who ever heard of Route 3000? But for road signs or GPS or map use, they at least were memorable, if odd.

QuoteNow, they're changing. The Fairfax County Parkway is becoming Route 286. The Prince William Parkway is becoming Route 294. The Franconia-Springfield Parkway, formerly Route 7900, is becoming Route 287. None of these should be confused with the Dulles Toll Road, which is Route 267.

See text bolded and underlined. Typical sloppy reporting from your average Post reporter.

I don't see what's so difficult about it. Aside from radio traffic reporters, I've never heard anyone refer to those roads by number.

I suggested on Facebook to someone that they should send Jackman  an e-mail or leave a comment on the blog about this error.

EDIT:  I see you did comment to him.  Let's see if he reads the comments.

EDIT II:  Fixed typo.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

I didn't read all the comments, but I did notice that I was far from the first person to make the point about him getting the number wrong.

Some Post bloggers are pretty good about reading the comments and either replying or making corrections. Others seem never to read the comments, which kind of makes me wonder what the point of blogging is.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 24, 2012, 04:35:30 PM

This is par for the course for the Washington comPost.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

More from WTOP Radio: Answer Desk: Why did the signs change on 3 NoVa roads?

Looks like WTOP got the route numbers right, too, though how does VDOT "ease confusion?"

QuoteAll the roads will keep their names, but the numbers change. New signs show the Fairfax County Parkway as Route 286 rather than 7100, the Prince William Parkway as Route 294 rather than 3000, and the Franconia-Springfield Parkway as Route 289 rather than 7900. The changes were announced this winter, but the signs are rolling out now, including some noting the roads' old designations to ease confusion.

Quote"Ultimately, making these roads primary routes means we're talking about more money and a higher priority for maintenance," says Virginia Department of Transportation spokewoman Jennifer McCord says.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 26, 2012, 02:05:23 PM
More from WTOP Radio: Answer Desk: Why did the signs change on 3 NoVa roads?

Looks like WTOP got the route numbers right, too, though how does VDOT "ease confusion?"

Like it says below, "signs ... noting the roads' old [route number] designations ...".   Keep them in place for about a year until people get used to the new numbers, then remove them.

QuoteAll the roads will keep their names, but the numbers change. New signs show the Fairfax County Parkway as Route 286 rather than 7100, the Prince William Parkway as Route 294 rather than 3000, and the Franconia-Springfield Parkway as Route 289 rather than 7900. The changes were announced this winter, but the signs are rolling out now, including some noting the roads' old designations to ease confusion.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.