News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doogie1303

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 06, 2013, 07:06:05 PM
Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on July 15, 2013, 05:44:29 PM
I've noticed that Connecticut has changed their license plate format.  It's been 123-AAA for as long as I can remember but now its 1ABCD2 with no spaces or anything.  I'm not fond of it at all. 

At least you don't have this Connecticut plate:

Yes, it's very real. My brother saw it in the lot of his work place! :D

On a side note, Connecticut finally allows 7-digit plates, but only if it's a vanity plate.

I've seen FAP 1 in RI, my friend and I laughed ... but on a side are you sure about the 7-digit vanity restriction? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing some 7-digit vanity plates back in the 80's when they switched from the older AB-1234 style to the 123-ABC format.

If I can remember right from when I still lived there, the 6-digit restriction was for the specialty "preserve the sound" plates due to the fact they couldn't fit more than 6-digits with the lighthouse on the plate.

We have a similar situation in RI with the "Plum Beach Lighthouse" plates, except we are restricted to only 5-digits on the plate!

jakeroot

From the UW Office of News and Information...

"The newly designed University of Washington vehicle license plate is now available for sale from the state Department of Licensing. The new Husky plate design features a bold gold block "W"  on a solid purple background."

TO

OCGuy81

QuoteWashington State will be offering new Seahawks and Sounders license plates for $40 beginning January 1, 2014, with proceeds going to three local charities.

Bet with the Super Bowl win, one of these sells VERY well this year!

NJRoadfan

New Jersey is switching to "flat" digital plates across the board. They should be appearing on the road when the rest of the stamped plate inventory runs out. At least they don't seem to be using that terrible default 3M font on the plates. I'll miss the unique squared off dies NJ used though.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/About/MVC_Advisory_2014-04.pdf

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 22, 2014, 11:12:16 PM
New Jersey is switching to "flat" digital plates across the board. They should be appearing on the road when the rest of the stamped plate inventory runs out. At least they don't seem to be using that terrible default 3M font on the plates. I'll miss the unique squared off dies NJ used though.

In the press release, it talks about a security mark. Do you know what that is?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 23, 2014, 01:56:57 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 22, 2014, 11:12:16 PM

Depending on the lighting and angle when you look at the plate, there's a security mark that runs down at or near the center of the newer tags. 

NJRoadfan

Its the 3M "Ensure Virtual Security Thread" that is seen on many state's plates.

http://barfety.com/of-license-plates-and-double-helix-strands/

vtk

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 23, 2014, 05:45:49 PM

Its the 3M "Ensure Virtual Security Thread" that is seen on many state's plates.

http://barfety.com/of-license-plates-and-double-helix-strands/

I think I've seen that on Kansas plates...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ski-man

Wyoming plates have those as well.

tidecat

Kentucky and Missouri are double helix states as well-their plates are basically identical.

I actually did see a Nevada plate that read "10JQKA" once on I-5 in Northern California - that was long before the days of cell phone cameras, though.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

vtk

Quote from: Takumi on May 15, 2014, 04:22:48 PM
Ohio issues a brightly colored plate for DUI offenders (NSFW)
http://dougdemuro.jalopnik.com/ohio-issues-bright-yellow-license-plates-to-shame-dui-o-1576928319/

It's hard to take that guy's opinions seriously. Everytime an argument or bit of evidence is presented, it's embellished like a standup comedy routine.

Anyway, his main point seems to be that we shouldn't publicly mark people for "one little mistake" because of the resulting unfair stigma. But perhaps the better solution is to work to lessen that stigma.  You don't accomplish that by encouraging the stigmatized to hide.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jakeroot

Quote from: vtk on May 15, 2014, 04:38:00 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 15, 2014, 04:22:48 PM
Ohio issues a brightly colored plate for DUI offenders (NSFW)
http://dougdemuro.jalopnik.com/ohio-issues-bright-yellow-license-plates-to-shame-dui-o-1576928319/

[H]is main point seems to be that we shouldn't publicly mark people for "one little mistake" because of the resulting unfair stigma. But perhaps the better solution is to work to lessen that stigma.  You don't accomplish that by encouraging the stigmatized to hide.

It seems like we are creating an issue where there doesn't need to be one. What exactly would this license plate solve? Is it contributing to society in a positive manner? Does it make it easier for cops to identify their new targets? Would John Doe drive out of his way to avoid DUI Dan? Would it prevent future DUIs? Would people no longer associate with you because you had a DUI once? Simply, the negatives far outweigh the positives.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on May 15, 2014, 04:38:00 PMBut perhaps the better solution is to work to lessen that stigma. 

on the contrary, I'd love to have it raised.  drunk driving isn't a mistake; it's a conscious choice.  we've made great strides against everything from public littering to homophobia.  drunk driving would be well served to go the way of the three-martini lunch.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: jake on May 15, 2014, 05:44:25 PMDoes it make it easier for cops to identify their new targets?

hey, black people could use a break.

QuoteWould John Doe drive out of his way to avoid DUI Dan?

that's actually a good public safety point.  I'd avoid DUI Dan because he's Distracted Donna, or Texting Ted, or Putting-on-Makeup Pat, i.e. his behaviors while driving make it obvious that being a safe road user is not his main priority.  the license plate wouldn't be relevant to me; but I can see myself avoiding Must-Get-Far-Away-From-DUI-Dan Mike.

jake@aaroads.com

jakeroot

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 15, 2014, 05:49:17 PM
on the contrary, I'd love to have it raised.  drunk driving isn't a mistake; it's a conscious choice.  we've made great strides against everything from public littering to homophobia.  drunk driving would be well served to go the way of the three-martini lunch.

Much like Gun-free zones and shootings, these license plates won't stop DUIs from occurring. Drunk driving is terrible, but this isn't the solution.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 15, 2014, 05:52:09 PM
the license plate wouldn't be relevant to me; but I can see myself avoiding Must-Get-Far-Away-From-DUI-Dan Mike.

Precisely. And that would be my concern. They'll feel like people are consciously avoiding them, and then they'll just commit suicide fall into a deep depression because no one wants to associate with an apparent drunk (not where I'm from, at least).

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 15, 2014, 05:52:09 PM
Quote from: jake on May 15, 2014, 05:44:25 PMDoes it make it easier for cops to identify their new targets?

hey, black people could use a break.

Nevermind, you win.

6a

agentsteel53

Quote from: jake on May 15, 2014, 05:58:10 PM
Precisely. And that would be my concern. They'll feel like people are consciously avoiding them, and then they'll just commit suicide fall into a deep depression because no one wants to associate with an apparent drunk (not where I'm from, at least).

I mean on the road.  if people are staying out of my way and I am staying out of theirs, then I am the farthest thing away from deep depression.  thus, my concern is Vehicle A sees that Vehicle B (moving innocuously in the rightmost lane at 60mph) has the yellow plate; so Vehicle A violently swerves left and causes me to have to slam on my brakes to avoid him.

jake@aaroads.com

jakeroot

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 15, 2014, 06:20:19 PM
Quote from: jake on May 15, 2014, 05:58:10 PM

I mean on the road.  if people are staying out of my way and I am staying out of theirs, then I am the farthest thing away from deep depression.  thus, my concern is Vehicle A sees that Vehicle B (moving innocuously in the rightmost lane at 60mph) has the yellow plate; so Vehicle A violently swerves left and causes me to have to slam on my brakes to avoid him.

My concern with the whole depression thing is when it extends to places like parking lots. A far fetched example indeed, but lets say you hook with a girl (or guy...not sure of your homophobic sexual preference) at a bar (ironic? I think not). You have a great time and decide to head back to your place. You two walk outside and he/she sees your car with the yellow license plate. Most likely, this won't cause an issue. But in some cases, this person could potentially end whatever relationship you have established thus far because of their...zero tolerance policy?

If this same situation continues to occur, DUI Dan will certainly become Depressed Dan. And we don't want to cause suicides.

Again, I know this is far fetched. Just take it for what it's worth.

agentsteel53

Quote from: jake on May 15, 2014, 06:52:29 PMnot sure of your homophobic sexual preference

generally straight.  hopefully not homophobic.  I had thought "we've made great strides against everything from public littering to homophobia." would clearly identify where my beliefs lie.  apparently not?

jake@aaroads.com

jakeroot

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 15, 2014, 07:41:26 PM
Quote from: jake on May 15, 2014, 06:52:29 PMnot sure of your homophobic sexual preference

generally straight.  hopefully not homophobic.  I had thought "we've made great strides against everything from public littering to homophobia." would clearly identify where my beliefs lie.  apparently not?

That was part of a sentence I took 95% out. Forgot to delete "homophobic". Just "sexual preference" was what was supposed to be left.

agentsteel53

Quote from: jake on May 15, 2014, 07:44:20 PM

That was part of a sentence I took 95% out. Forgot to delete "homophobic". Just "sexual preference" was what was supposed to be left.

ha!  out, out, damn typos.

I think my wife would be quite upset if I were picking up people of any gender at the local bar.

jake@aaroads.com

jakeroot

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 15, 2014, 07:53:36 PM
Quote from: jake on May 15, 2014, 07:44:20 PM

ha!  out, out, damn typos.

I think my wife would be quite upset if I were picking up people of any gender at the local bar.

Oh good. I didn't offend you. Did I ever mention that people with more than 4000 posts genuinely frighten me? Can't anger them...they are the people you need to be on the good side with. I thought I almost lost the original Jake.

And yeah, I bet she would!

agentsteel53

ha ha you may offend me as you see fit!

jake@aaroads.com

Pete from Boston

Is the plate for life?  I can digest this a little easier if it's temporary (a few years?) for first offenders, maybe graduated to permanent at stages beyond that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.