News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-35 in the Dallas Horseshoe project

Started by longhorn, December 01, 2015, 09:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhorn

http://dallashorseshoe.com/photos/

Isn't the I-35 northbound bridge that veers left after crossing the "lake" and over I-30 relatively new? They are building its replacement right next to it, but I thought the original bridge was just redone. As a matter of fact, wasn't that long ago they added a HOV lane to it.

MaxConcrete

Yes, that northbound structure north of the river is quite new. I have photos of the area from October 2007 and the old structure is still there, with no construction underway. I remember the construction as being recent, and I'm thinking that the new northbound structure is less than five years old.

I never saw any news reports about why that structure was replaced. I speculated that maybe the old bridge had structural issues. Or since they needed to build a new structure for the HOV lane, it was affordable and made sense to go ahead and also replace the main lane bridge. Whatever the reason, I assume they did not anticipate that the Horseshoe project would begin in 2013.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

dfwmapper

The NB I-35E mainline bridge over I-30 was built in 2001ish, based on historical imagery in Google Earth. With only 2 mainlines+1 (reversible) HOV, it's pretty underpowered for the traffic volume through there. I believe the new bridge adds an extra lane. Most likely the old one is going away due to space/clearance issues, as a lot of new lanes are being built in a fairly tight space.

longhorn

Looked at the latest pics of the construction site, I did not know the original I-35 southbound bridge across the lake was demolished. I know the northbound lane original bridge was demolished about a month ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.