News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

It may be pronounced "Innis Road" but it's spelled "Innes Road." It is on private property, definitely non-highway gothic or clearview (the R is definitely Arial), but at least they can spell the street name right.

GMSV: http://goo.gl/maps/Pbfj5

yakra

Quote from: jake on September 30, 2014, 01:58:17 AMThe old 295 shield was state-named, so it was probably old and someone decided it needed replacing. Some silly DOT worker obviously was paying no attention to the fact that the road is 295, and put up 95.

Just a classic fuck-up, is my guess.
Maine briefly stopped using state-name shields, but now is back at it. If you copy the image URL and view it full-size, you'll see the I-95 shield is state-name. The old sign wasn't particularly old; the Fore River Parkway only opened to traffic in 2005 or 2006. Hence methinks it got jüted.
But yes, in any case it's a classic cock-up.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bigboi00069

Forgive me if this is posted somewhere already, but i do not see it anywhere.

On FL 736 EB approaching US 441 there is a FL 441 sign posted.

formulanone

Business Loop shield with standard Interstate shield colors...caught this today in Kalamazoo.

roadfro

Quote from: formulanone on October 02, 2014, 08:59:05 PM
Business Loop shield with standard Interstate shield colors...caught this today in Kalamazoo.

What a strange design error... I've seen the other way around (Interstate shield with business color scheme), but not this.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on October 02, 2014, 09:41:09 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 02, 2014, 08:59:05 PM

What a strange design error... I've seen the other way around (Interstate shield with business color scheme), but not this.

I'm surprised temporary contractor construction signs are allowed to be posted in this thread...I see very few without errors! :-D

vtk

Also, that US 131 shield uses the 2dUS shape stretched to 5:4 proportion.  Both are design errors, rather than erroneous information, so this belongs in "Signs With Design Errors".
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

WillWeaverRVA

VA 62 gets downgraded:

...and US 58 gets upgraded (although we can't blame VDOT for this one):

US 15/US 360 doesn't get the BUSINESS like it should:

The signage at the actual intersection with the Keysville, VA US 15/US 360 BUSINESS is correct:

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 04, 2014, 09:55:27 PM
VA 62 gets downgraded:

That happens quite often on those blue Virginia attractions signs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

national highway 1

Quote from: hbelkins on October 05, 2014, 09:52:40 PM
VA 62 gets downgraded:

That happens quite often on those blue Virginia attractions signs.
Also note the all-caps series B Clearview
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

freebrickproductions

I'm actually impressed by this error. How did they get our state route shields up there anyways? :hmmm:
http://www.wsfa.com/story/3642053/alabama-road-signs-in-massachusetts

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 06, 2014, 11:13:47 AM
I'm actually impressed by this error. How did they get our state route shields up there anyways? :hmmm:
http://www.wsfa.com/story/3642053/alabama-road-signs-in-massachusetts

The default MUTCD state marker shows an Alabama route shield. If whoever is assembling the sign doesn't read the MUTCD, they might assume that they are supposed to use the design provided instead of what the actual state uses.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jakeroot

I have seen this sign so many times and never thought twice about it...anyone else spot the issue?

EDIT: All the nearby roundabout guide signs also have this error. I'm starting to wonder whether or not it was intentional.

EDIT 2:

Not sure this is a grammatical error or not...shouldn't it be miles, since it's more than 1? Or are fragments up to two allowed to say "mile"? I thought I was good at English, but I can't decide what it should be. Both sound right/wrong.

1995hoo

I assume the error is that there shouldn't be an arrow on the bottom of the roundabout diagram (the part representing where you already are).

I suppose if New Jersey were to start using roundabouts, they might have a need for that arrow given the greater need for U-turns there compared to many other jurisdictions!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Hoss6884 on October 07, 2014, 08:19:28 AM
The first advance guide sign for Exit 19 on I-79 North in PA incorrectly states "US 19 TO PA 221" when the opposite is true (http://goo.gl/IKD00a).  The sign after that shows the correct information (http://goo.gl/mxVK4V).

I didn't get pictures because I didn't realize until after the fact, but luckily Google captures the error.

Even more interesting is that the listed destinations are in a different order as well. 

The 2-mile BGS looks like it's a more recent (but pre-Clearview) installation.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jake on October 07, 2014, 02:11:07 AMNot sure this is a grammatical error or not...shouldn't it be miles, since it's more than 1? Or are fragments up to two allowed to say "mile"? I thought I was good at English, but I can't decide what it should be. Both sound right/wrong.

If I'm speaking, I always say the plural, but I have no idea what/if the MUTCD says.

If that's the sign I'm thinking of (I feel like overhead Lane Ends 1 1/4 Mile signs are far and few between), there's another error, perhaps more of a design error, not with the sign itself, but with the gantry.  On the same gantry, there's a 1 mile exit advance hung to the left of the lane ends sign.  I feel like many motorists looking for that exit will parse the "important" information on the signs but gloss over the distances, and assume from the placement that the right lane will end first and they should be in the second lane to exit.

ETA: Street view, since I'm not quite as lazy as I thought.

Eth

Quote from: Hoss6884 on October 07, 2014, 08:19:28 AM
The first advance guide sign for Exit 19 on I-79 North in PA incorrectly states "US 19 TO PA 221" when the opposite is true (http://goo.gl/IKD00a).  The sign after that shows the correct information (http://goo.gl/mxVK4V).

There's a similar issue on I-75 in Marietta, GA at exit 267B. TO GA-5 / SOUTH US-41 (wrong), followed by TO US-41 / SOUTH GA-5 (right).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 07, 2014, 07:36:21 AM

I suppose if New Jersey were to start using roundabouts, they might have a need for that arrow given the greater need for U-turns there compared to many other jurisdictions!

There's a few dozen roundabouts in NJ already. They are signed normally.

Kniwt

US 101 north, just south of San Jose, taken today:

The exit number is wrong and appears to be the exit number for the north 101/85 junction way up in Mountain View. In fact, here's the correct exit number just half a mile up the road:

I reported it to Caltrans a while back, but nothing happened.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 07, 2014, 08:54:00 PM

There's a few dozen roundabouts in NJ already. They are signed normally.

I assumed it would be clear I meant that as a joke. Guess I was wrong.

roadfro

Quote from: Kniwt on October 07, 2014, 09:17:05 PM

That sign is oddly designed as well. Destination legend appears to have compressed spacing, the shield is rather small, and the north banner is rather large. The space was there to design everything with the usual parameters.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Thing 342

VA 62 gets downgraded:

I've noticed that a good number of these blue signs in VA contains goofs. Usually, it's the numbers being in Clearview or some sort of design flaw, but there was one for VA-6 off of US-29 that was circular and inexplicably had two leading zeros, so it read "006". Really wish I had a picture of it.

1995hoo

Quote from: Thing 342 on October 07, 2014, 10:16:42 PM
VA 62 gets downgraded:

I've noticed that a good number of these blue signs in VA contains goofs. Usually, it's the numbers being in Clearview or some sort of design flaw, but there was one for VA-6 off of US-29 that was circular and inexplicably had two leading zeros, so it read "006". Really wish I had a picture of it.

Then in the opposite vein, I can think of one on eastbound Route 55 in Linden that upgrades Route 638 (Freezeland Road) to primary status.

jakeroot

I assume the error is that there shouldn't be an arrow on the bottom of the roundabout diagram (the part representing where you already are).

Exactly. Didn't think the experts here at AARoads would take too much time to spot the error. I was right.

I've only been to NJ once, but from what I've been told by Zeffy and from personal flyovers (using Google Earth), it appears that New Jersey roads are a complete cluster-fuck, and therefore u-turns are a highly-desirable feature, no? Roundabouts might help!

cjk374

Quote from: roadfro on October 07, 2014, 10:07:21 PM
Quote from: Kniwt on October 07, 2014, 09:17:05 PM

That sign is oddly designed as well. Destination legend appears to have compressed spacing, the shield is rather small, and the north banner is rather large. The space was there to design everything with the usual parameters.

Is the sign on the left saying that the CA 85 exit, being described by the sign on the right, a left lane exit...but the exit tab being on the right side of the sign indicating a right-hand exit?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.