News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Rover_0 on August 07, 2013, 08:03:30 PM
Since we already have I-26 and I-2 that spur off, why not?
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 07, 2013, 08:43:33 PM
Yeah but I-2 is not technically a spur, at least it has a bigger idea.  But it is not a violation.
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 07, 2013, 09:42:58 PM
why is I-2 a violation?  as far as I can tell, it is south of I-4.

I-2 has a "spur" going from I-69C westward similar to the I-26 "spur" going from I-81 to the Virginia state line.

NE2

I-26 ends at US 11W (and sillily the exit numbers begin there).

holy crap I-10 is a spur to Santa Monica
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on August 07, 2013, 09:55:20 PM

Why sillily? I posted "to"*, not "ending at".  Doesn't I-26 go in the direction of the Virginia state line from I-81 to US 11W? I didn't bother identifying the current western terminus of I-2, either.

to 
/to͞o/
Preposition
Expressing motion in the direction of (a particular location): "my first visit to Africa".

agentsteel53

holy crap I-10 is a spur to Santa Monica

I-5 is a spur to Tijuana.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Grzrd

I-2 is not technically a spur ... But it is not a violation.
why is I-2 a violation?
Quote from: Grzrd on August 07, 2013, 09:49:23 PM
I-2 has a "spur" going from I-69C westward
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 07, 2013, 10:29:12 PM

But it is not a violation.

Scott5114

If not ending at another interstate highway was a "violation", half the routes in the system would be "violations". Like I-44 Wichita Falls, I-55 Chicago, I-39 Wausau, I-43 Green Bay, I-27 Lubbock, I-37 Corpus Christi...

I-2 and I-69C/I-69E are in violation for collectively not connecting to the rest of the Interstate system, but that will be remedied at some point.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

swbrotha100

Speaking of I-69, where are all the complaints of "violation" of everything south (and west) of I-65?

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: swbrotha100 on August 07, 2013, 11:31:43 PM
Speaking of I-69, where are all the complaints of "violation" of everything south (and west) of I-65?

Ehhh, I have been okay with it for years.

Grzrd

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 07, 2013, 06:18:51 PM
If Interstate 11 never extends to Reno, I think it should at least extend down the US 95 corridor in Las Vegas so at least a portion of it will not violate the grid!!
Quote from: Rover_0 on August 07, 2013, 08:03:30 PM
Since we already have I-26 and I-2 that spur off, why not?
Yeah but I-2 is not technically a spur ... But it is not a violation.
why is I-2 a violation?  as far as I can tell, it is south of I-4.
Quote from: Grzrd on August 07, 2013, 09:49:23 PM
I-2 has a "spur" going from I-69C westward
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 07, 2013, 10:29:12 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on August 07, 2013, 10:57:10 PM
But it is not a violation.
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 07, 2013, 11:22:59 PM
If not ending at another interstate highway was a "violation", half the routes in the system would be "violations".

Who's on I-1?

NE2

Quote from: Grzrd on August 07, 2013, 10:18:04 PM

Why sillily?
Because the freeway begins at the state line, and now the interchange there has no exit number.

I posted "to"*, not "ending at".  Doesn't I-26 go in the direction of the Virginia state line from I-81 to US 11W? I didn't bother identifying the current western terminus of I-2, either.

to 
/to͞o/
Preposition
Expressing motion in the direction of (a particular location): "my first visit to Africa".
What a shitty-ass definition. You don't say you're going to Africa if you're taking a trip from Paris to Gibraltar. And you don't say a highway goes to the state line if it actually ends at a major crossing several miles from the border.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on August 08, 2013, 07:49:26 AM
Why sillily?
Because the freeway begins at the state line, and now the interchange there has no exit number.

US 11W is a logical, not silly, terminus.  To argue otherwise is, well, silly.

NE2

It's silly to have the exit numbers begin at US 11W rather than the state line...

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on August 08, 2013, 09:36:44 AM
It's silly to have the exit numbers begin at US 11W rather than the state line...

Depends on where the start of the interstate is considered to be.

It's a bit ridiculous anyway as I-26 should be an odd, not even numbered interstate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Exit numbers don't have to begin where the Interstate begins. In this case it's silly not to begin them where the freeway begins at the state line.

Henry

Quote from: NE2 on August 08, 2013, 10:27:34 AM
Exit numbers don't have to begin where the Interstate begins. In this case it's silly not to begin them where the freeway begins at the state line.
I-17 is the prime example, as there is no mile/exit 0/1 anywhere (in fact, IIRC, they both begin at 194).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

Since the Carters Valley Road interchange is the only non-numbered freeway interchange at issue, there really isn't a need for a number.  In this locally-specific case it is logical to not begin the exit numbers at the Carters Valley Road interchange and to begin them on I-26. This is especially true when one considers the March 2007 exit renumbering from I-181 to I-26. Putting a number at a non-"logical terminus" interchange (admittedly interstate grade) only a few miles miles from the beginning of the interstate can certainly be seen as possibly confusing the public, especially since the change was from Interstate 181 to Interstate 26. Logic would also support what NE2 has suggested; however, it does not necessarily follow that the alternative currently in place is silly.

What a shitty-ass definition. You don't say you're going to Africa if you're taking a trip from Paris to Gibraltar.

Then why do I laugh all of the way to the bank when you gratuitously curse instead of laughing to the bank? Here's a good deal on some light reading if you are considering invoking Godwin's Law again.

you don't say a highway goes to the state line if it actually ends at a major crossing several miles from the border.

Yawn 2.0. See Reply #202 in this very thread.......

Brandon

And you don't say a highway goes to the state line if it actually ends at a major crossing several miles from the border.

Sure you do, your local DOT does it all the time with control cities.

I'll give I-80 as an example.  It goes to Chicago and New York City, yet never enters neither.  Ditto with I-294 in Illinois.  It goes to Wisconsin and Indiana, but stops short of both - in the case of Wisconsin, about 30 miles short.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Brandon on August 08, 2013, 01:37:03 PM
And you don't say a highway goes to the state line if it actually ends at a major crossing several miles from the border.

Sure you do, your local DOT does it all the time with control cities.

I'll give I-80 as an example.  It goes to Chicago and New York City, yet never enters neither.  Ditto with I-294 in Illinois.  It goes to Wisconsin and Indiana, but stops short of both - in the case of Wisconsin, about 30 miles short.

Don't forget Cleveland on that I-80 trip!!

The reverse of this argument is I-37 in San Antonio. After it ends the mile markers continue down US 281. Same can be said about I-45 in Dallas, when I-345 starts the mile markers from I-45 continue, and even the exit numbers continue. The. When US 75 Central Expressway starts, the exit numbers start at 0, but the mile posts still continue from I-45.

swbrotha100

Quote from: Henry on August 08, 2013, 11:10:54 AM
I-17 is the prime example, as there is no mile/exit 0/1 anywhere (in fact, IIRC, they both begin at 194).

In the case of I-17, it inherited its mileposts (and exit numbers) from when it used to be AZ 69.

agentsteel53

Quote from: swbrotha100 on August 08, 2013, 04:27:55 PM
In the case of I-17, it inherited its mileposts (and exit numbers) from when it used to be AZ 69.

furthermore, the Arizona mileage scheme is in place.  AZ 69 didn't go all the way down to number 0 either. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

What the fuck is going on here? Did Obama decide to redefine 'to' when I was sleeping?

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on August 08, 2013, 07:50:53 PM
What the fuck is going on here? Did Obama decide to redefine 'to' when I was sleeping?

Yes, you missed it.  It was a Senate bill, passed unanimously by the House and signed by Obama.  It's already been upheld by the SCOTUS as well.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Brandon on August 08, 2013, 10:15:41 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 08, 2013, 07:50:53 PM

Yes, you missed it.  It was a Senate bill, passed unanimously by the House and signed by Obama.  It's already been upheld by the SCOTUS as well.
The definition of pi would not be passed unanimously by the House.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Grzrd

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on August 08, 2013, 10:21:26 PM

Certainly "poo" would eventually be passed unanimously by the House, no?

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Grzrd on August 08, 2013, 10:26:47 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on August 08, 2013, 10:21:26 PM

Certainly "poo" would eventually be passed unanimously by the House, no?
There would be poo, and then there would be poo. Since you have the Hastert rule, it could not be brought up. It would not be unanimous. It would not be cool, either. There is the remote chance of a discharge petition, in which case there could be a lot of poo at one time.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.