News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 08, 2014, 12:09:14 PM
Stupid convention anyway. There NEEDS to be an I-711. It's bad enough that we got doofed on I-420 and I-666.
And I-13 too. Nobody in Vegas wants that number anywhere near there. I totally agree on the I-711 thing as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Kniwt

A very long report (4,500 words plus accompanying video) about I-11 in today's Las Vegas Review-Journal:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/long-road-interstate-11

Nothing new in there that I can see, but it surveys the state of the project and presents interesting voices both for and against the project.

Thing 342

Stupid convention anyway. There NEEDS to be an I-711. It's bad enough that we got doofed on I-420 and I-666.
The US 95 Freeway west of I-15 could be I-711.

Henry

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 14, 2014, 09:47:37 PM
But wouldn't that be the same as I-345 in Dallas? (a 3di that picks up where its parent 2di leaves off)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

Quote from: Henry on January 15, 2014, 02:42:11 PM
But wouldn't that be the same as I-345 in Dallas? (a 3di that picks up where its parent 2di leaves off)
And is that a problem? 2dis generally have to end at Interstates, or at least at... someone correct me here... primary civil defense network routes? I forget what the exact designation is. 3dis have much more latitude.

NE2

Quote from: Steve on January 15, 2014, 09:56:56 PM
And is that a problem? 2dis generally have to end at Interstates, or at least at... someone correct me here... primary civil defense network routes? I forget what the exact designation is. 3dis have much more latitude.
There doesn't seem to be a difference between 2DIs and 3DIs.
QuoteThe proposed route should connect to the Interstate System at each end, with the exception of Interstate routes that connect with continental routes at an international border, or terminate in a "major highway traffic generator" that is not served by another Interstate route. In the latter case, the terminus of the Interstate route should connect to routes of the National Highway System that will adequately handle the traffic. The proposed route also must be functionally classified as a principal arterial and be a part of the National Highway System system.
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/legsregs/directives/fapg/cfr0470a.htm

So I-26 could have continued to the state line, since US 23 is an NHS route that can handle the traffic.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ethanhopkin14

Both Interstate 37 and 45 end into their southern downtown control cities into city streets.

TheStranger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 16, 2014, 08:43:26 AM

Both Interstate 37 and 45 end into their southern downtown control cities into city streets.

If I'm not mistaken, I-40 and I-15 are the only California 2dis to actually end at another Interstate.  I-8, I-10 both end near the ocean, I-5 of course has a border terminus to the south, and I-80 ends at US 101 in San Francisco.

(I-80 was proposed at one point to end at the originally planned I-280 route along Route 1 in Golden Gate Park, though)
Chris Sampang

Alps

Quote from: TheStranger on January 16, 2014, 11:41:08 AM

If I'm not mistaken, I-40 and I-15 are the only California 2dis to actually end at another Interstate.  I-8, I-10 both end near the ocean, I-5 of course has a border terminus to the south, and I-80 ends at US 101 in San Francisco.

(I-80 was proposed at one point to end at the originally planned I-280 route along Route 1 in Golden Gate Park, though)

Whee, random thoughts: NJ also has two such (76 and 80) and every other route crosses borders, so we're 100% on ending at another Interstate. (You could also count I-95's twin endings at I-295 and I-276, but those are going away soon.) Is there any other state at 100% with more than two such Interstates?
~ PA: 78, 83, 84 all end at 81, and 79 ends at 90, so it's a question of how you look at 99. Double Breezewood = fail in my book. Once it's extended north to NY, I might reconsider letting the south end slide.
~ OH: I-71 and I-77 end at I-90. I-76 ends at I-71. I-74 ends at I-75.
~ This is getting OT.

Henry

As do I-83 and I-95, among others (although, ironically, the former route was once proposed to terminate at the latter before it got cancelled).

NE2

That's not even rain on your wedding day league.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

Quote from: NE2 on January 17, 2014, 12:41:54 PM

However, it may, under certain circumstances, be a traffic jam when you're already late.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 20, 2014, 02:45:04 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 17, 2014, 12:41:54 PM

However, it may, under certain circumstances, be a traffic jam when you're already late.

Isn't it ironic, don'tcha think?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

andy3175

Another article on the I-11 proposal:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014/mar/05/interstate-linking-las-vegas-phoenix-faces-tough-g/

QuoteLas Vegas and Phoenix are linked by a road that narrows to two lanes, hits stoplights in a Depression-era town and until recently backed up traffic over the Hoover Dam. Despite being two of the largest cities in the Southwest, they aren't directly connected by an interstate freeway. There have been halting advances toward creating a slick, new highway to cover the 300 miles of desert between Sin City and the Valley of the Sun, but if it's ever going to happen, according to Steve Betts, leader of a coalition of project supporters, "everyone would have to be very creative."

An effort to improve what's now a 4 1/2-hour drive with a more reliable road has heavy-hitting allies, including business leaders and the Republican governor of each state. "Long-term jobs are created by our connectivity," Betts said, noting that the stretch would be the first piece of a new shipping route between Mexico and Canada.

But critics ask whether such a multibillion dollar development would be more than a vanity project that would take resources away from more immediate concerns. The cities already "are connected by U.S. 93. Whether they need an interstate is a question," said transportation historian Earl Swift.

QuoteThe main talking points now are how the interstate would create more efficient freight flows and boost the regional economy. "It's not a matter of functionality," said Tom Skancke, president and CEO of the Las Vegas Global Economic Alliance.

"Looking from a global competitiveness standpoint, does it compete better globally?" he asked. "Or do we want to bounce along the bottom?"

An interstate could link Los Angeles, Phoenix and Las Vegas as partners in a "megaregion" that competes with other regions, and could open a trade route from Mexico to Pacific Ocean ports and Canada. Arizona and Nevada are currently losing much of that flow and its attendant development to Texas and California, according to Betts, chairman of CAN-DO, an acronym for Connecting Arizona and Nevada-Delivering Opportunities.

Proponents warn about the consequences of doing nothing, pointing to projections that the cities will add a combined 4 million people by 2025.

QuoteArizona is well on its way to widening a 200-mile stretch of two-lane road between Phoenix and the Nevada line. All but 40 of those miles are now four-lane, divided highway, addressing most congestion problems there, said Michael Kies, the Interstate 11 project manager for the Arizona Department of Transportation.

In Nevada, county leaders recently approved a local fuel tax increase to pay for the $300 million Boulder City Bypass, aimed at loosening the most notable bottleneck between Las Vegas and the Arizona border. The 12-mile route will allow drivers to avoid Boulder City's quaint but often congested downtown streets. The bypass is expected to be complete in late 2017.

Also, in a joint Nevada-Arizona project, a bridge went up in late 2010 allowing travelers to bypass tourist traffic on top of the Hoover Dam.

QuoteStill, other critics worry that pushing further toward the interstate dream would contribute to urban sprawl and hurt the environment. "The last thing we need is another freeway," said Sandy Bahr, president of the Arizona chapter of the Sierra Club. "We need to look for other transportation modes."

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

sdmichael

What is wrong about an expressway with bypasses around towns... or at least Boulder City and Kingman?

Brandon

Quote from: sdmichael on March 07, 2014, 01:45:33 PM
What is wrong about an expressway with bypasses around towns... or at least Boulder City and Kingman?

Some people are hypnotized by that red/white/blue interstate shield.

Me?  A good road is a good road regardless of the shield.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Molandfreak

That's how it should be, but unfortunately a U.S. route suggests nothing to the average driver as it stands. Which is why an intermediate system should be in place.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

mapman1071

KTVK 3 Phoenix
http://www.azfamily.com/home/Signs-mark-proposed-freeway-linking-Vegas-Phoenix-251474421.html
video of the press conference from Hoover Dam unavailing of both the Future I-11 Corridor and Nevada I-11 Signs.

swbrotha100

Quote from: mapman1071 on March 22, 2014, 02:01:55 AM
KTVK 3 Phoenix
http://www.azfamily.com/home/Signs-mark-proposed-freeway-linking-Vegas-Phoenix-251474421.html
video of the press conference from Hoover Dam unavailing of both the Future I-11 Corridor and Nevada I-11 Signs.

Nice. Hope to be able to check them out in person when I do the Phoenix-to-Vegas ride again.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: mapman1071 on March 22, 2014, 02:01:55 AM
KTVK 3 Phoenix

Super Awesome!!  Have to drive out there to see it...............and the Hover Dam. 

Scott5114

Something tells me a hovering dam wouldn't be too useful for its intended purpose...  :-D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

myosh_tino

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 25, 2014, 07:30:12 AM
Something tells me a hovering dam wouldn't be too useful for its intended purpose...  :-D

No, but a hoovering dam would definitely suck!  :rofl:
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

hm insulators

Quote from: myosh_tino on March 25, 2014, 01:24:13 PM

No, but a hoovering dam would definitely suck!  :rofl:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

The High Plains Traveler

And yet you could get to it on a hovercraft.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on March 26, 2014, 04:27:10 PM
And yet you could get to it on a hovercraft.

Funi guise.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.