News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hastings MI to Houston TX via Tupelo MS

Started by brianreynolds, August 28, 2014, 12:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianreynolds

I will be leaving Saturday Sept 6 for my next visit with kids and granddaughter in Houston.  The plan thus far:

Day 1:  Local roads and I-69 to Indianapolis, I-65 to Nashville, I-40 west to TN-22 south to US-64 west to US-45 south to Tupelo.

Day 2:  Natchez Trace Parkway to Natchez, US-84 and LA-28 to Leesville, LA-63 and US-190 to Livingston TX, US-59/I-69 to Houston.

According to Google Maps, Day 1 = 11 hr 41 min on the road, Day 2 = 10 hr 37 min travel.

Anything scary to beware of?  Construction, speed traps, trolls? 

Should the construction on I-65 south of Indy be a concern?

Saturday mid-afternoon through Louisville.  I-65 straight through or I-265 to I-64 to I-264 around town?

Any advice for good-value lodging in or near Tupelo?

Does traffic move well along the NTP?  It sounds good, no trucks, few interchanges. 

I'm already familiar with the road from Alexandria to Houston.

hbelkins

Going to be some major issues on I-65 on the north side of the Ohio River starting this weekend, as the road is going to be choked down to two lanes because of the new bridge construction, but I don't know what traffic will be like on a Saturday afternoon. If you have some sort of mobile device that will check traffic or congestion (a smartphone with Google Maps, for instance), I'd recommend checking it before you get to I-265.

I stayed here when in Tupelo a couple of years ago. What I found, when looking for accommodations, is that it's a fairly expensive town in which to stay overnight.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

QuoteI-40 west to TN-22 south to US-64 west

Though it's 4 lanes, plan on TN 22 being slow from I-40 down to US 412, as both Parker Crossroads and Lexington have annexed up to each other along 22.  Last time I was on it (several years ago), there was a brief 55 MPH section, but it was otherwise 45 or less the entire way.

QuoteDoes traffic move well along the NTP?  It sounds good, no trucks, few interchanges.

Yes it does, all things considered.  No trucks, no traffic signals or stop signs, plenty of sight distance to pass in most areas.  One note of caution, though:  the speed limit is 50 MPH, and there's usually a fair bit of enforcement from NPS.

Brandon

Quote from: brianreynolds on August 28, 2014, 12:12:28 AM
I will be leaving Saturday Sept 6 for my next visit with kids and granddaughter in Houston.  The plan thus far:

Anything scary to beware of?  Construction, speed traps, trolls

Not unless you run into another vehicle from the Lower Peninsula.  :-D
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.