How Christmas could help the NBA threaten the NFL’s reign over American sports

Started by bing101, December 25, 2017, 09:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SP Cook on December 28, 2017, 09:37:24 AM
- Head trauma.  The only mistake the NFL can make is the one NASCAR made, which is listening to the "someone might get hurt" idiots.  You can get hurt, and fantastically rich and famous, playing football.  Same with any blue collar job, except for the fantastically rich and famous part.  There will always be people willing to play football, just like there will always be Marines, oil well workers, firemen, deep sea fishermen, coal miners, and so on.

Not "might get hurt," but "most likely will sustain long-term brain injury that carries a real risk of shortened life and/or lifelong repercussions."  But they're paid, so it's ok. 

I work in a hazardous profession with daily risk of debilitating physical injury.  There is no "but this project is worth a lot and we'll pay you more and not take the available precautions."  I am legally required to stop myself and others from working when available precautions are not used.  NFL players are not gladiators, they are employees, and are entitled to the same.

It doesn't matter what I think anyway. The NFL knows that if it loses the support of mothers that allow their kids to play football, it will destroy its future.  As soon as the head injury denial began, it began marketing directly to those mothers.  It is losing their support anyway.

Alps

formulanone

In short, I don't think the NBA is going to topple NFL any time soon. The sport is just as injury-prone, and like major league baseball, still just of local interest within the same 20-25 core markets. Football is still king everywhere else and most urban markets, as well.

Most folks that swear they're not watching the NFL because of that pesky right to free speech are usually the same ones that only watch their NCAA teams, their high school stuff, and little else involving a brown oblong ball.

Quote from: SP Cook on December 28, 2017, 09:37:24 AM
- Head trauma.  The only mistake the NFL can make is the one NASCAR made, which is listening to the "someone might get hurt" idiots.

After Dale Earnhardt died in 2001, I'd guess roughly 10% of NASCAR's fan base gradually stopped tuning in within a year or so. Death has this "bad for marketing/revenue" specter that's extremely hard to shake.

We get it, you live in a very white area of the country that has no professional sports and no collegiate success in basketball. Quit moaning about it every month, nobody's forcing you to watch it anymore than a dog show or snooker.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: formulanone on December 31, 2017, 06:58:01 PM
Quit moaning about it every month, nobody's forcing you to watch it anymore than a dog show or snooker.

I'd be really, truly surprised if anything more than a dozen Americans actually watch snooker.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 01, 2018, 08:23:01 AM
Quit moaning about it every month, nobody's forcing you to watch it anymore than a dog show or snooker.

I'd be really, truly surprised if anything more than a dozen Americans actually watch snooker.

The blossoming of the Internet has taught me not to underestimate how many Americans are extremely interested in anything.  If there is a whole community of people that write fan fiction about the animatronic band in the defunct Showbiz Pizza Place (there is), then there is probably a bigger community of people that watch snooker.

US71

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 01, 2018, 01:42:00 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 01, 2018, 08:23:01 AM

The blossoming of the Internet has taught me not to underestimate how many Americans are extremely interested in anything.  If there is a whole community of people that write fan fiction about the animatronic band in the defunct Showbiz Pizza Place (there is), then there is probably a bigger community of people that watch snooker.

Or Snooki ? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.