News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

CA-134 on ramps near Hollywood Way

Started by mrsman, February 04, 2020, 10:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

In another part of the forum, there is an interesting discussion on some of the on-ramps of the 134 fwy in Burbank.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2983.msg2475832#msg2475832

The topic discusses the new signalization at the corner of Alameda and Cordova (one block east of Hollywood Way).  There seems to be an off-ramp right there that has been there for a long time.  The on-ramp (to westbound 134) is somewhat newer.  The older on-ramp just to the west of Hollywood Way is still there as well.

A few years ago, the left turns from Alameda to Cordova and the 134 ramp were controlled by doghouses.  Now, the doghouse from westbound Alameda to westbound 134 was converted to FYA.  A lot were concerned that there would be yellow trap if they didn't convert both signal heads.  I reasoned that it wouldn't be an issue, so long as the FYA was leading and the doghouse was lagging.

Qn - Is this the operation of the signal?  I can see through the GSV that this street is blocked at the alley, so the left only reaches a paking lot and an alley.

Qn - Why even allow a left from Alameda onto the 134 when traffic could just continue two more blocks to the old ramp and enter from the right?

I surmised that some of the changes were done to increase capacity to the westbound 134 due to all of the studios and other employment centers in the area.

Any thoughts or comments?

mrsman

stevashe

For your second question, I'd say the left turn is allowed to reduce the amount of traffic going through the Alameda/Hollywood intersection, which aligns with one of the stated goals of the project to reduce congestion there, per the link in your second post. Plus if the cycle times are long at Alameda/Hollywood it may be faster to turn left and get on a ramp to the freeway sooner instead of waiting for that light depending what the lights are showing when you arrive. Allowing the left turn could also help balance out traffic between the ramps when they're metered, keeping the ramp with the free right from backing up onto the street if the other ramp is holding less cars.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.