News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bay Area Toll Bridges go cash-free

Started by jdbx, March 20, 2020, 07:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdbx

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/03/20/bay-area-bridges-go-cash-free-to-contain-coronavirus/

It looks like the options for paying bridge toll as of today are either FasTrak or de-facto pay-by-plate.  I think cashless tolling was going to be inevitable for the Bay Area bridges, the current coronavirus crisis has just sped that transition.

I have a suspicion that even once this crisis is over, cash toll collection will be a thing of the past in the Bay Area.

gonealookin

Good riddance, and if we could get a bipartisan push for that national standard for a single transponder and a single national toll account, I'd appreciate it.

vdeane

Quote from: gonealookin on March 21, 2020, 01:30:47 PM
Good riddance, and if we could get a bipartisan push for that national standard for a single transponder and a single national toll account, I'd appreciate it.
I think it was MAP-21 that required the nation to be interoperable by 2016.  Obviously that never happened.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffe

Quote from: vdeane on March 21, 2020, 10:10:41 PM
I think it was MAP-21 that required the nation to be interoperable by 2016.  Obviously that never happened.

There's a multi-year project to remove the toll plazas and switch to open road tolling at all seven state owned bridges in the Bay Area. 
The Golden Gate bridge is building a new toll gantry and will eventually remove the existing toll booths. 

Both projects will switch all of the equipment from Title 21 (only used in California) to the ISO/IEC 18000-63 (6C) standard which will be used in the entire US.

As jdbx noted, it seems unlikely that cash collection will resume after the Covid-19 issue is over, especially since all of the bridges will transition open road tolling.

vdeane

The E-ZPass zone does not use 6C, though, so that's not really nationwide interoperability then, is it?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffe

Quote from: vdeane on March 23, 2020, 01:03:23 PM
The E-ZPass zone does not use 6C, though, so that's not really nationwide interoperability then, is it?

Yeah, E-ZPass uses TDM.  Some providers are switching to dual TDM/6C transponders, but there doesn't appear to be a widespread push.

MAP-21 had neither funding nor penalties for the 2016 interoperable deadline.  Seems like we'd need new legislation that does both in order to get some real traction on this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.