🛣 Updates to the California Highways Web Page – Nov 19 – May 20

Started by cahwyguy, May 10, 2020, 07:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

I really appreciate the maps you are putting in!  Makes it so much easier than having Google Maps open in another window.

CA Highways is a great resource.

don1991

Quote from: cahwyguy on May 17, 2020, 09:13:55 AM
Just an update with respect to the May updates: I've now completed the memorial names (and format conversion) for all the highways and county sign routes. Next up will be going through the 650 page SHOPP just approved to see which projects need annotation in my pages.

As always, I still need pictures of naming signs (and the people mentioned thereon). You would think will all the picture sites out there, people would have clear pictures of the naming signs as part of the highway record, but we don't.

How can we say that a highway is called something when there is no sign ever using that name. Three examples, all from the Bay Area, that I ran into:

1. I-280 and I-680 are called the Sinclair Freeway. Where is there ever a sign saying that?

2. I-880 (and Route 17 before that) were the Nimitz Freeway. Where is there a sign saying that?

3. I-980 is the Grove-Schafter freeway ... but again, no signs I could find online with that name.

This is critical. In doing this project, I've often found that what makes it on naming signs is different than what is in the naming resolution -- and we need to record what is out in the field.

We also need to be searching the archives for the historical naming signs that have been taken down. I could swear I remember seeing signs proclaiming I-605 as the San Gabriel River Freeway, the 118 as the Simi Valley Freeway, or the 90 as the Marina Freeway ... but none have images online. Is my memory wrong?

In any case, everything is uploaded now, so you can see what I have and what is missing.

Daniel

I live down by the I-605 in Cerritos.  I can tell you that there are several signs proclaiming the "San Gabriel River Freeway" for I-605, which I am glad for - both on the overhead signs and one or two on the side of the road. The one that irks me is the "San Gabriel Freeway" on the BGS on the 605 ramps as they split South / North from the Westbound 91 Freeway.

Speaking of pet peeves, I am still annoyed at the "Artesia" control city on the WB 91 Freeway as it passes through the I-5.

Was the 118 ever just the "Simi Valley Freeway" before it was the "Simi Valley - San Fernando Valley Freeway"?  There are a few signs showing "Ronald Reagan Freeway" (surprised those have survived today) but as we all know, freeway names are disappearing in California.

don1991

Quote from: cahwyguy on June 08, 2020, 08:55:36 AM
Just letting folks know that I completed Part III of the May updates: Adding in some maps from Joel Windmiller, and more importantly, adding in the items of interest from the 2020 SHOPP. Here are the additional parts of the changelog:

May 2020 Part III:
Added historical information and naming pictures to the following routes, my research(1) and information from Corco(2), Denis Wolcott/Gerald Desmond Bridge Replacement Project(1): I-710(1), I-880(2).

Joel Windmiller has been posting historical information about route adoptions to the California's Historic Highways group on Facebook. With his permission, I've started grabbing that information and incorporating on the corresponding pages for the current highways. This resulted in changes to the following routes:  I-5, US 40, US 50, Route 65, Route 70, Route 89, Route 99, Route 113, Route 244, I-680, I-780.

Worked my way through the 2020 SHOPP adopted at the May 2020 CTC Meeting. The State Highway Operation and Protection Program (SHOPP) is the State Highway System's "fix-it-first"  program that funds the repair and preservation, emergency repairs, safety improvements, and some highway operational improvements on the State Highway System (SHS). By continuously repairing and rehabilitating the SHS, the SHOPP protects the enormous investment that has been made over many decades to create and manage the approximately 50,000 lane-mile SHS. Much of what is in the SHOPP is significant work, but not at the level of interest that impacts these pages. For example, SHOPP funding that simply rehabilitates existing roadways, improves drainage, fixes landscaping, repairs storm damage, adds ADA cutouts, and such does not make a long-term historical impact on a route, or make changes that sometime in future years might be curious about. Some other SHOPP changes, however, are of interest: new roundabouts, potentially rumble strips, realigning a roadway for safety, replacing a bridge -- all can impact the pages. All projects  funded by the SHOPP are limited to capital improvements that do not add  capacity (no new highway lanes) to the SHS, though some new auxiliary lanes are  eligible for SHOPP funding. The SHOPP portfolio of projects is updated every two years, carrying forward  projects programmed in the last two years of the preceding SHOPP and making those last two years of projects the first two years of projects in the new SHOPP. There are also "long lead" SHOPP projects, which require more than four years to develop due to complex environmental and preliminary engineering work. The 2020 SHOPP contains 40 Long Lead projects, valued at $2.93 billion. These projects are authorized to start work on the Project Approval and Environmental Document (PA&ED) phase. Separate authorization addresses the construction phase. Projects are generally divided into nine broad categories: Major Damage Restoration, Collision Reduction, Mandates (such as reserves for relinquishment), Bridge Preservation, Roadway Preservation, Mobility, Roadside Preservation, Facilities, and Multiple Objective.

Contrast the SHOPP with the STIP, which was incorporated in the main May updates. The STIP is a multi-year capital improvement program of transportation projects on and off the State Highway System, funded with revenues from the Transportation Investment Fund and other funding sources. STIP programming generally occurs every two years. With respect to highways, the STIP has two types of projects. Capacity Increasing Highway Operational Improvements, which are improvements that expand the design capacity of the system, and thus are not eligible for SHOPP funding. If regional, they are nominated by the regional agency; if statewide, Caltrans nominates them.  Examples of such projects would be HOV lanes and interchanges, interchange design modifications and upgrades to accommodate traffic volumes that are significantly larger than the original design capability of the existing facility, or truck or slow vehicle lanes on freeways with six or more lanes. There are also non-capacity improvements that could be funded through the SHOPP, but which can be implemented faster through the STIP.

My review of the adopted SHOPP resulted in updates to the following routes: Route 1, Route 3, Route 4, I-5, Route 9, I-10, Route 12, Route 13, I-15, Route 17, Route 20, Route 22, Route 25, Route 26, Route 29, Route 33, Route 35, Route 36, Route 37, Route 39, I-40, Route 41, Route 43, Route 49, US 50, Route 51, Route 52, Route 59, Route 68, Route 70, Route 74, Route 79, I-80, Route 82, Route 84, Route 88, Route 96, Route 99, US 101, I-105, Route 110, Route 120, Route 121, Route 128, Route 133, Route 138, Route 140, Route 145, Route 154, Route 162, Route 165, Route 175, Route 180, Route 184, Route 190, I-215, Route 217, Route 223, Route 237, Route 245, Route 299, US 395, I-405, I-580, I-710. The Route 39 item is particularly amazing: a Long-Lead item "Near Falling Springs, from 1.8 miles north of Crystal Lake Road to Route 2. Rehabilitate and reopen a 4.4 mile segment of Route 39." Who woulda thunk, right? Even more amazing is the schedule: it is programmed in FY26-27, with construction scheduled to start May 2027.

May 2020 Part II:
Completed the update for format and memorial names. Next up: The SHOPP that was approved at the May 2020 CTC Meeting.

The CA-39 rebuild has gone back and forth several times.  I think that a combination of concerns over an alternate escape route / fire route / pressure from the City of Azusa kept it alive. It almost seemed dead for good years ago over the Big Horn Sheep (I think).  Hard to believe that the road has been closed for over 40 years.  For the past many years, one lane is technically passable in emergencies.  It will be a challenge to keep it open if/when rebuilt but I hope to get a chance to drive it someday.

cahwyguy

Quote from: don1991 on June 09, 2020, 01:29:36 AM
I live down by the I-605 in Cerritos.  I can tell you that there are several signs proclaiming the "San Gabriel River Freeway" for I-605, which I am glad for - both on the overhead signs and one or two on the side of the road. The one that irks me is the "San Gabriel Freeway" on the BGS on the 605 ramps as they split South / North from the Westbound 91 Freeway.

Was the 118 ever just the "Simi Valley Freeway" before it was the "Simi Valley - San Fernando Valley Freeway"?  There are a few signs showing "Ronald Reagan Freeway" (surprised those have survived today) but as we all know, freeway names are disappearing in California.

I have pictures of the San Gabriel River Freeway sign, but if you can take a picture of any naming of "San Gabriel Freeway", that would be appreciated.

In terms of the Simi Freeway, I think all the official documents had the full version (Simi Valley-SF Valley). But that's often different than what was signed in the field, so if you can find any pictures of either version, that would be useful.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: cahwyguy on June 09, 2020, 11:21:17 AM
I have pictures of the San Gabriel River Freeway sign, but if you can take a picture of any naming of "San Gabriel Freeway", that would be appreciated.

Here you go.

Max Rockatansky

Regarding CA 118 I have photos from all it's freeway junctions and there isn't anything named on any of the overhead gantries or BGSs.

mrsman

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on June 09, 2020, 09:14:34 PM

Here you go.

Wow.  I can't believe a  total mistake like that actually got signed.  The freeway name was always a little long, but it's incorrect to call this the San Gabriel Fwy, despite the signage.  The 10/605 interchange is 5 miles east of the city of San Gabriel.

One thing though, regarding the debate of placing control cities on the 605, while many on this forum have advocated Duarte or Irwindale as possible choices for a northern control city, if they decide that renaming this as the SG Fwy, then San Gabriel can be a reasonable control for NB I-605 between I-405 and I-5.  (Is San Gabriel more famous than Duarte if you are coming from SE LA county or Orange County?)  Of course, you would need clear signage guiding people to I-10 west to head to San Gabriel and you would still need a good control for NB 605 at 60 and 10 (like Duarte or Irwindale).  An example of such signage exists at the 710 as you approach I-10.  Since 710 does not reach Pasadena, there is signage guiding traffic to take I-10 east to Pasadena.  I-10 doesn't hit Pasadena, so people need to know to exit onto Fremont or Atlantic and continue on surface streets.

This is all a moot point as Caltrans is getting rid of signage, but I'm surprised this has stayed up.

cahwyguy

Well, now that mistake is also captured for history, in the next round of my updates. Thanks for sharing it. I welcome any other naming signs I don't have (or pictures of the people named). I tried to make that a challenge, but no one took me up on that.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

sparker

Quote from: mrsman on June 10, 2020, 08:54:53 AM

Here you go.

Wow.  I can't believe a  total mistake like that actually got signed.  The freeway name was always a little long, but it's incorrect to call this the San Gabriel Fwy, despite the signage.  The 10/605 interchange is 5 miles east of the city of San Gabriel.

One thing though, regarding the debate of placing control cities on the 605, while many on this forum have advocated Duarte or Irwindale as possible choices for a northern control city, if they decide that renaming this as the SG Fwy, then San Gabriel can be a reasonable control for NB I-605 between I-405 and I-5.  (Is San Gabriel more famous than Duarte if you are coming from SE LA county or Orange County?)  Of course, you would need clear signage guiding people to I-10 west to head to San Gabriel and you would still need a good control for NB 605 at 60 and 10 (like Duarte or Irwindale).  An example of such signage exists at the 710 as you approach I-10.  Since 710 does not reach Pasadena, there is signage guiding traffic to take I-10 east to Pasadena.  I-10 doesn't hit Pasadena, so people need to know to exit onto Fremont or Atlantic and continue on surface streets.

This is all a moot point as Caltrans is getting rid of signage, but I'm surprised this has stayed up.

Signing San Gabriel as a control city probably wouldn't pass muster; that city is well off the I-605 pathway (and even trajectory!), sited south of Pasadena and west of Rosemead Blvd. (CA 164, still signed as CA 19 as of 2012).  Citing sub-regions rather than cities might be a bit of a stretch, but "San Gabriel Valley" would be more appropriate.   

gonealookin

Quote from: cahwyguy on June 10, 2020, 08:40:47 PM
I welcome any other naming signs I don't have (or pictures of the people named). I tried to make that a challenge, but no one took me up on that.

Thanks for all your work, I'm always very impressed when I look something up on your site and consider it a definitive reference.  As far as the "challenge", I'd be very happy to help if I could but I haven't seen anything yet where I would be able to contribute.  The naming of some highways in this area as the "Alpine State Highway" way back when, for example...I mean, there might be a plaque or something I'd see while on my bicycle and I'd take a picture if I saw it, but I don't ever recall seeing anything like that.

don1991

Quote from: sparker on June 10, 2020, 10:09:37 PM

Here you go.

Signing San Gabriel as a control city probably wouldn't pass muster; that city is well off the I-605 pathway (and even trajectory!), sited south of Pasadena and west of Rosemead Blvd. (CA 164, still signed as CA 19 as of 2012).  Citing sub-regions rather than cities might be a bit of a stretch, but "San Gabriel Valley" would be more appropriate.   

Agreed.  If a control city is going to be used, it should be the destination point.  Even San Dimas has gotten some love! (10 Fwy EB transition to CA-57 NB)  I wonder why Pasadena hasn't been considered, given that the I-710 does not go through.  Granted, you have to then take the I-210 West to get to Pasadena but if the issue is having a big city name...  In any case, anything except "Thru Traffic" please.....  Same with the 91 Freeway in Cerritos.  Why can't they use "Long Beach" or "Beach Cities"?

don1991

Here you go.

It may have been awkward (but since when does Caltrans care about green-outs and compressed word spacing) - but I don't see why they could add the word "River" below "San Gabriel" (spaced between).

don1991

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 09, 2020, 09:42:35 PM
Regarding CA 118 I have photos from all it's freeway junctions and there isn't anything named on any of the overhead gantries or BGSs.

At one time - 10 to 15 years ago? - there were references to "Ronald Reagan Fwy" in more than one place.  Maybe they have since taken those down.  I don't go up that way too often.

mrsman

Quote from: don1991 on June 12, 2020, 09:12:03 PM

Here you go.

It may have been awkward (but since when does Caltrans care about green-outs and compressed word spacing) - but I don't see why they could add the word "River" below "San Gabriel" (spaced between).

If Caltrans wanted to they could also just replace "Fwy" with "Riv Fwy".  There is enough room on the  sign for that.
But I worry that if Caltrans does anything here, they will remove the name completely.  Such is their nature.

Agreed.  If a control city is going to be used, it should be the destination point.  Even San Dimas has gotten some love! (10 Fwy EB transition to CA-57 NB)  I wonder why Pasadena hasn't been considered, given that the I-710 does not go through.  Granted, you have to then take the I-210 West to get to Pasadena but if the issue is having a big city name...  In any case, anything except "Thru Traffic" please.....  Same with the 91 Freeway in Cerritos.  Why can't they use "Long Beach" or "Beach Cities"?

There have definitely been a bunch of spirited debate on the controls that are used on the highways system, especially for the 605.  I have always thought the best approach for 605 is Duarte/Seal Beach.  Duarte is somewhat famous because of City of Hope.  And even though 605 does go to Long Beach, it is the far eastern end and it would be confusing for those headed to Downtown LB to be guided down 605 instead of 710, so I prefer Seal Beach. 

For westbound 91, I like Anaheim as a control in Riverside County instead of Beach Cities.  Once you are in Orange County, I am happy to have the Anaheim control continue until CA-57 and then the proper western control is Gardena.  Yes, there are plenty of places using Los Angeles, since the 91 leads to the 5 (and there are some benefits to having that control in eastern OC).  There are even occasional references to Long Beach since US 91 used to end in Downtown Long Beach, but the current 91 freeway skirts the very northern edge of Long Beach so I don't like using it on 91 for similar reasons as what I said earlier with regard to 605.  Gardena is not that big of a city, but it is the end of the highway.  (I know there were plans for extension to Redondo Beach and that the freeway west of 710 was once known as the Redondo Beach Fwy, but given that the freeway has not extended west of Vermont Ave, I don;t believe we want to encourage more surface traffic on Artesia Blvd -- the beach traffic should use 91 to 110 to 405 and then surface streets.)

And also for the 57 north, at least from most approaches (other than I-10 eB), they should use a control city of Pasadena.  This stretch used to be I-210 and even though the number has changed, the roadway still connects to Pasadena.  And given the lack of 710 extension, 605 facing northeast, for anyone coming from the Diamond Bar/Pomona area on I-10 wb, 57 north or 71 north, this is the best way to Pasadena and should be advertised as such.  (From I-10 eb, there is backtracking so more people transitioning from I-10 eb to CA-57 nb are probably not heading to Pasadena so San Dimas would be better.)

cahwyguy

Quote from: don1991 on June 12, 2020, 09:13:19 PM
At one time - 10 to 15 years ago? - there were references to "Ronald Reagan Fwy" in more than one place.  Maybe they have since taken those down.  I don't go up that way too often.

The 118 still has a name sign for Ronald Reagan.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cahwyguy on June 14, 2020, 07:35:39 PM

And to clarify my statement above I was referring to freeway-to-Freeway junctions.  The Ronald Reagan Freeway signs are present on 118 itself. 

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 14, 2020, 07:39:21 PM
Quote from: cahwyguy on June 14, 2020, 07:35:39 PM

And to clarify my statement above I was referring to freeway-to-Freeway junctions.  The Ronald Reagan Freeway signs are present on 118 itself.

Were there ever Reagan signs on freeway to freeway junctions? My recollection is that they only existed on roadside signs on the 118 itself.  The same with honorific signs that honor the fallen CHP officers.  They are always on roadside signs, not the elevated signs.  These are far easier to install.

cahwyguy

Quote from: mrsman on June 15, 2020, 08:43:28 AM
Were there ever Reagan signs on freeway to freeway junctions? My recollection is that they only existed on roadside signs on the 118 itself.  The same with honorific signs that honor the fallen CHP officers.  They are always on roadside signs, not the elevated signs.  These are far easier to install.

Correct. The predominate place for naming signs is on the side of the road, often where a new segment of constructed freeway started, or for the newer honorifics, whereever they start. You might see them off the highways on the directional signs pointing to the on ramps. Much less frequent are the signs on the freeway to freeway junctions, and those are usually the directional names in District 7 (i.e., "San Diego Freeway") -- I don't recall seeing those in the Bay Area (if they were there, it would have been easier to do the naming sign project).

ClassicHasClass

There's the almost ubiquitous M L King Jr Fwy signage on CA 94, which even appears on pull-thru signage as well as exits and interchanges, but I think that's specific to that highway because I haven't really seen it elsewhere.

cahwyguy

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 19, 2020, 03:14:02 PM
There's the almost ubiquitous M L King Jr Fwy signage on CA 94, which even appears on pull-thru signage as well as exits and interchanges, but I think that's specific to that highway because I haven't really seen it elsewhere.

Ah, but have you found any Helix Freeway or Campo Freeway signage.

TheStranger

One that I suddenly am wondering:

Was the "Montgomery Freeway" name ever signed on what was US 101 (now I-5) between downtown San Diego and the border?  That's one of the historic freeway names that I remember existing for a long time, but seems to have fallen out of use (unlike Nimitz, Eastshore, Bayshore, Cabrillo, MacArthur, Central).

Others I am curious about from that area include...

Wabash Boulevard (or anything with the Wabash name) along the stretch of Route 15 between I-805 and I-5
Jacob Dekema Freeway along I-805
Chris Sampang

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: cahwyguy on June 19, 2020, 05:02:51 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 19, 2020, 03:14:02 PM

Ah, but have you found any Helix Freeway or Campo Freeway signage.

I vaguely remember a Helix Fwy sign years and years ago, but I've never seen Campo Fwy signage.

QuoteWas the "Montgomery Freeway" name ever signed on what was US 101 (now I-5) between downtown San Diego and the border?  That's one of the historic freeway names that I remember existing for a long time, but seems to have fallen out of use (unlike Nimitz, Eastshore, Bayshore, Cabrillo, MacArthur, Central).

Others I am curious about from that area include...

Wabash Boulevard (or anything with the Wabash name) along the stretch of Route 15 between I-805 and I-5
Jacob Dekema Freeway along I-805

I haven't seen signage for Montgomery, but it appears on all the maps. Wabash Blvd used to be on street signs.

Jacob Dekema Fwy was definitely signed at one time -- I clearly remember this as a kid -- but only at the northern terminus for sure. I don't think at the southern terminus but I was very rarely that far south. I think the northern terminus signage disappeared when the Sorrento Valley interchange with I-5 was reconfigured.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.