News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA 255

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 05, 2020, 11:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

CA 255 is an interesting 9 mile State Highway which forms a loop of US 101 in Humboldt County.  CA 255 initially begins as a Super Two Freeway from US 101 in Eureka and traverses the three structures of the "unofficially named" Humboldt Bay Bridge to the Samoa Peninsula.  From the Samoa Peninsula CA 255 is much more conventional but nonetheless has some pretty views of Arcata Bay.  CA 255 is relatively modern by the conventions of California State Highways having been added from Eureka to the Samoa Peninsula during 1963.  CA 255 was legislatively extended to Arcata during 1970 and became a functional highway during 1971 when the three structures comprising the Humboldt Bay Bridge were opened.  Of note; CA 255 has one of the few "BEGIN" placards I've seen on a California State Highway:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/07/california-state-route-255-and-humboldt.html

nexus73

There is quite the collection of settlements on the peninsula.  It is an interesting place to explore.  Once across the bridges, a left turn and a short distance later will lead to the Samoa Cookhouse, which is a dining hall from the big time logging era which serves homestyle meals albeit there is a limited selection for each day. All you can eat too!  The scalloped potatoes were so good that I ordered up a bowl of them for my dessert. 

No doubt Max knows all these things but for others who are contemplating a trip behind the Redwood Curtain, as the locals nickname the area, this information should help the cause of enjoying a visit there. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Added photos from the Arcata-Eureka loop of CA 255 in addition to numerous vantage shots of the Samoa Bridge.  The Super-Two Freeway on the structures comprising the Samoa Bridge are quite interesting and unique.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/07/california-state-route-255-and-humboldt.html

In particular I liked this photo from Vance Avenue looking east towards the Samoa Bridge and Eureka. 

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.