New LA county unincorporated street name signs? as well as new LA street signs

Started by bulkyorled, April 14, 2012, 10:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulkyorled

Hm, I gathered Bonnywood was a major street, or perhaps had a major outlet right there. Im in a group on facebook that is specific to Burbank and they talked about it and even had pics from the 40s and 50s that made it sound like it was a large street. Not one that left Burbank though, maybe like a smaller version of Olive Ave.

I think maybe some of their facts are a bit skewed.

But if what you said is true then it makes sense because if Front St was once Bonnywood Pl then that explains why that street is there. That street has been rerouted slightly a few times then. I remember in the late 90's they had changed how Front St comes out at Burbank Bl so that it met up with the fwy offramp which it didn't quite do before or something
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Bigmikelakers

Was looking at HistoricAerials and before the current I-5 was built in that area, there was an expressway type of road that carried US-6 and 99. Maybe that was the dividing line?

Im thinking that the railroad is actually the dividing line though.

bulkyorled

Do you have the pic? If it's what Im picturing I think that was Bonnywood.

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

bulkyorled

Yea the curved one is Bonnywood, it seems like it was just a through way, potentially unchanged from what is today's Front Street except now it doesnt cross Olive, Magnolia or any of the smaller streets like Angeleno or Orange Grove.

My only question is why did they change the name. I cant figure out if there was Front St before the 5 was built or not. It was posted that they changed it from Bonnywood because it wasnt exact and the numbers would have to be changed. I wish I could find that post, it would take ages to find exactly what they said. They made it seem a bit complicated.

DTComposer

The 1945 Thomas Guide and the 1948 topo map show Bonnywood as Front Street and only running between Cypress and Providencia. Bonnywood Place is a dead-end street running north from Cypress. The curved section you mention (between Magnolia and San Fernando Road) is new road, constructed between 1948 and 1954, based on the topos and Historical Aerials. Since it's in the ROW of the Golden State Freeway, I'm guessing it was a "pre-freeway" (like the original sections of the Foothill Freeway in Pasadena) that allowed thru traffic to bypass downtown Burbank, and was upgraded when the rest of the Golden State Freeway was constructed (1958-ish?)

CL

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on April 25, 2012, 11:55:11 PM
I'll try to explain as best as I can. 7400 N is 74 blocks north of 1st St. If a east/west street was Santa Monica Bl 9400 W, then that street is 94 blocks west from Main St. The LA grid is a little strange because its not exclusive to only the city of LA. One town may use the same LA system while the next town over (usually an older town pre 1920) will have its own system. For example, Long Beach and Lakewood use the same system. While the next town over, such as Bellflower or Cerritos use the Los Angeles grid system even though they are nearly 15-20 miles from the LA City limits. Its complicated I know.

So it sounds like it doesn't exactly work the same way as it does in Salt Lake. Here, a street is more or less assigned a grid number (e.g., north-south State Street is 100 East in the grid, so a sign for that roadway would read "State St 100 E" anywhere you intersect State Street). If I understand correctly, a sign that reads "Santa Monica Blvd 9400 W" denotes the address of the street at that point (9400 W. Santa Monica Boulevard), not the N/S grid position of the entire roadway.
Infrastructure. The city.

bulkyorled

Quote from: DTComposer on April 29, 2012, 11:35:07 AM
The 1945 Thomas Guide and the 1948 topo map show Bonnywood as Front Street and only running between Cypress and Providencia. Bonnywood Place is a dead-end street running north from Cypress. The curved section you mention (between Magnolia and San Fernando Road) is new road, constructed between 1948 and 1954, based on the topos and Historical Aerials. Since it's in the ROW of the Golden State Freeway, I'm guessing it was a "pre-freeway" (like the original sections of the Foothill Freeway in Pasadena) that allowed thru traffic to bypass downtown Burbank, and was upgraded when the rest of the Golden State Freeway was constructed (1958-ish?)

That about says it. I wish I could remember what it looked like from the ground before they ripped down whatever building was on Front Street right before Burbank Blvd, it looked slightly different. I remember for a while you couldn't go through there, not that it matters, aside from the fwy exit and it leading to the train and bus station that street is useless, no one ever goes that way it seems

bulkyorled

In response to 00 block in Burbank, it is the train tracks. I was coming in off Flower St and the Alameda sign has 00W on it and the light directly on the other side signed Gateway for the Ralphs center has 00E

Bigmikelakers

Haha glad we figured it out! Interesting that the railroad tracks are the dividing line.

bulkyorled

Now to figure out what 00E & 00W would be...

Bigmikelakers

bulkyorled

Yup, so mystery solved haha 00 intersection would be Olive/Front (Bonnywood). I suppose we could have figured it out by just putting 00 Burbank into Google Maps since it put me right at the spot  X-(

CenVlyDave

Makes sense to use the railroad as a dividing line.  Alot of towns sprung uporiginally because of the railroad, auto roads and state highways came later.

mrsman

Quote from: bulkyorled on April 17, 2012, 09:20:23 PM
Oh wait I defined my search and found another page on the same site;
http://militantangeleno.blogspot.com/2011/03/more-street-signs-of-times.html

None of these seem to be left however in very old pictures I have seen them before.
Wooden signs could have been pre-1920 or even over 100 years ago now based on what this is saying

Sorry for the necro-post but here is a picture of a street blade that was a prototype to the "shotgun".  I remember seeing some of these at Highland/Yucca in Hollywood and along Olympic in Country Club Park when I was a kid in the 1980's.

Here is an old picture of 1st and Broadway, courtesy of the Huntington Library, with the curley-q street blades.

https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p15150coll2/id/8794

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.