News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Where in the US are the traffic lights furthest from any other traffic lights?

Started by KCRoadFan, December 08, 2023, 02:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

A little while ago, I was perusing the thread about counties without traffic lights, which made me wonder: where in the US might one find the most isolated traffic light - that is to say, what traffic light is the furthest away from another traffic light? Or, if a town has multiple traffic lights, then what town is furthest away from any other town with traffic lights?

I'm guessing the towns topping this list are various county seats in sparsely populated western states - places like Ely, Nevada come to mind. Anyway, do you have any info about that? (By the way, on a trip to Albuquerque this past October, I saw one of those temporary construction-zone traffic lights along that very remote stretch of US 350 through southern Colorado between La Junta and Trinidad - however, this post is about permanent traffic lights.)

roadfro

At least as far as Nevada is concerned, Ely is probably the town to beat. The straight line distance to the next closest traffic signal is around 110 miles to West Wendover to the north, about 170 miles to Mesquite to the south, and about 200 miles to Fallon or Hawthorne to the west—not sure where the next closest signal to the east would be in Utah, but gotta imagine it's somewhere along I-15 or US 89 and that would be at least 130 miles.

EDIT: A short prior thread with similar topic: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=28674.msg2578562#msg2578562
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SkyPesos

StogieGuy7

Quote from: roadfro on December 08, 2023, 11:35:32 AM
At least as far as Nevada is concerned, Ely is probably the town to beat. The straight line distance to the next closest traffic signal is around 110 miles to West Wendover to the north, about 170 miles to Mesquite to the south, and about 200 miles to Fallon or Hawthorne to the west—not sure where the next closest signal to the east would be in Utah, but gotta imagine it's somewhere along I-15 or US 89 and that would be at least 130 miles.

EDIT: A short prior thread with similar topic: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=28674.msg2578562#msg2578562

The nearest traffic light to the east would be in Delta, UT (about 135 mi east) at the corner of Main St (US 50) and 200 W.  But traffic signals are indeed few and far between in this region. 

Parts of Wyoming, Montana, central Idaho, south central UT and the Navajo Res would also be similar to what you find in Nevada.

tmoore952

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 08, 2023, 02:51:21 PM
Somewhere in Alaska probably.

EDITED several hours after original post. Had bad info in first version of post. The correct info changes my follow-on statement.

I've driven from Anchorage to the Denali Park entrance, that was about 140 240 miles. It's about 110 miles from Denali Park entrance to Fairbanks, and IIRC less than 100 miles from Anchorage south to Seward.

It's been 16+ years since I've been there, but I assume there is a signal at the Denali Park entrance since that is a big tourist destination.

Of course, there is a lot more to Alaska roadwise than that, which I cannot speak to.

webny99

It's not a nationwide contender, but NY 18 at NY 78 in Olcott, NY feels like one. It's the lone traffic light on a 63-mile stretch of NY 18.

tdindy88

Quote from: tmoore952 on December 08, 2023, 04:34:22 PM

I've driven from Anchorage to the Denali Park entrance, that was about 140 miles. It's about 110 miles from Denali Park entrance to Fairbanks, and IIRC less than 100 miles from Anchorage south to Seward.

It's been 16+ years since I've been there, but I assume there is a signal at the Denali Park entrance since that is a big tourist destination.

If that is the case, that would eliminate any of the Fairbanks-Seward corridor from consideration, given the distances mentioned for Nevada.
Of course, there is a lot more to Alaska roadwise than that, which I cannot speak to.

I was there last March, there wasn't a stoplight at the entrance to Denali Park Road but there were a couple in the Denali Park commercial district a few miles north. However, those lights were turned off as the hotels and businesses in that area are seasonal and only open in the summer. The last YEAR-ROUND traffic signal leaving the Anchorage area is in Houston, Alaska. The next YEAR-ROUND signal is at University Avenue in Fairbanks, 302 miles apart from each other.

tmoore952

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 08, 2023, 06:56:28 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on December 08, 2023, 04:34:22 PM

I've driven from Anchorage to the Denali Park entrance, that was about 140 miles. It's about 110 miles from Denali Park entrance to Fairbanks, and IIRC less than 100 miles from Anchorage south to Seward.

If that is the case, that would eliminate any of the Fairbanks-Seward corridor from consideration, given the distances mentioned for Nevada.

I was there last March, there wasn't a stoplight at the entrance to Denali Park Road but there were a couple in the Denali Park commercial district a few miles north. However, those lights were turned off as the hotels and businesses in that area are seasonal and only open in the summer. The last YEAR-ROUND traffic signal leaving the Anchorage area is in Houston, Alaska. The next YEAR-ROUND signal is at University Avenue in Fairbanks, 302 miles apart from each other.
It did cross my mind that if there were any lights in the Denali area, they were seasonal, but to me that still counts as far as the question is concerned. I am guessing there are other "seasonal" lights especially near national parks, ski resorts, more remote summer destinations, so the answer to that question could almost be its own subcategory.

EDIT - It's about 240 miles from Anchorage to Denali Park Road, not 140 (240 feels more like what I drove). Whatever I looked up earlier was wrong. My earlier post edited as a result.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.