News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

WISDOT Inconsistencies with routing highways in cities

Started by peterj920, September 10, 2016, 01:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 18, 2018, 08:04:00 PM
I am going to post back to this topic instead of the general Wisconsin notes thread.

I have relocated to the Green Bay area, and I have come to the conclusion that WI-29 should not be routed into the city and in fact should end at I-41.  Even the locals get confused as to the interchange with WI-29 and Shawano Avenue due to the highway numbering.

I would eliminate WI-29 in the city of Green Bay, then extend US-141 to end at WI-42 at Kewaunee.

Would need AASHTO Approval to do that.  Green Bay does have more state highways running through it than most cities in Wisconsin.  With the bad condition most streets are in the City of Green Bay I'm for keeping the state highways in the city for the sole purpose of having the state maintaining them and giving connecting highway aids. 

Interesting in Bellevue that when Wis 29 recently went under a resurfacing project, the area at Huron Rd wasn't resurfaced due to a roundabout being constructed in the next couple years.  Would only hope a connection between Huron Rd and US 141 will finally be completed to make a straight shot to Wis 29 from I-43.  It seems that the debate over the railroad crossing is holding that project up. 

skluth

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 20, 2018, 08:58:37 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on August 19, 2018, 11:07:15 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 18, 2018, 08:04:00 PM
I am going to post back to this topic instead of the general Wisconsin notes thread.

I have relocated to the Green Bay area, and I have come to the conclusion that WI-29 should not be routed into the city and in fact should end at I-41.  Even the locals get confused as to the interchange with WI-29 and Shawano Avenue due to the highway numbering.

I would eliminate WI-29 in the city of Green Bay, then extend US-141 to end at WI-42 at Kewaunee.

On that same note, and one that I have suggested in here and elsewhere many times, would be to turn Mason St over to Brown County (call it County 'E') and reroute WI 54 to replace WI 172 to the I-43 Bellevue interchange, then follow I-43 northward to the WI 54/57 University interchange.

Mike

Not a bad idea at all.  You would only be taking a few blocks off the state highway system since WI-32 runs over most of Mason St. west of the river.  (I wonder if the reason all the highways still run through the city is to keep the river bridges as state highways???)

Both of these are good ideas. There's currently no logical reason for US 141 to continue south of Abrams (other than your reasonable conjecture about keeping bridges under state control). It currently runs along Velp, Main, etc until it truncates in Bellevue.

triplemultiplex

If I had my druthers, I-41 would end at Abrams, US 141 would start at Abrams and a "hidden" US 41 would resurface at Abrams.
But that's getting into fictional territory.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.