News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2019, 10:40:28 AM
I miss the color contrasts as now Google maps don't have much to differentiate the streets from the areas around them.  My HP notebook has everything white including the areas off the streets.

It maybe my pc, but it is an issue I hate with Google maps.

The very similar thin grey lines for railroads and non-trail walking paths has led to some confusion and detouring in the past.  Open Street Map uses dashed lines as in the international map symbol for railroads, and makes it much easier to tell the difference.

Quote from: 1 on May 13, 2019, 07:01:47 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on May 13, 2019, 07:00:40 PM
Was trying to use Street View when at work today, does part of this issue involve a very "slow" movement along the road? (like you can't go very far on one click?)

That happens to me for 2007—2009 imagery, which seems to be a different issue.
This has been around forever and is an issue I've gotten used to in my many years of GSV driving; I think it has to do with the resolution of the images themselves.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

jakeroot

Quote from: 20160805 on May 15, 2019, 05:07:33 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 13, 2019, 07:01:47 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on May 13, 2019, 07:00:40 PM
Was trying to use Street View when at work today, does part of this issue involve a very "slow" movement along the road? (like you can't go very far on one click?)

That happens to me for 2007—2009 imagery, which seems to be a different issue.
This has been around forever and is an issue I've gotten used to in my many years of GSV driving; I think it has to do with the resolution of the images themselves.

I've noticed it on and off for a long time too, but seems to be amplified with the "single track" issue mentioned on the last page.

Michael

I noticed on Monday that there was no historic Street View on a street in Raleigh I know had older imagery.  I also noticed the track issue after reading it in this thread.  I looked in other places and noticed both issues in other locations as well.  I just checked a few minutes ago, and the issues appear to be mostly fixed.  I tried Jakeroot's link on the previous page, and it works now.  I think there may still be imagery missing, since I saw my car in my driveway in one of the Street View dates, but now I don't.  Some of the tracks might still be goofy, but I can't tell for sure since sometimes it's super picky about where you click.

jakeroot

Quote from: Michael on May 16, 2019, 06:14:23 PM
I noticed on Monday that there was no historic Street View on a street in Raleigh I know had older imagery.  I also noticed the track issue after reading it in this thread.  I looked in other places and noticed both issues in other locations as well.  I just checked a few minutes ago, and the issues appear to be mostly fixed.  I tried Jakeroot's link on the previous page, and it works now.  I think there may still be imagery missing, since I saw my car in my driveway in one of the Street View dates, but now I don't.  Some of the tracks might still be goofy, but I can't tell for sure since sometimes it's super picky about where you click.

Thank you for the update. There are still some areas that appear to be unfixed, but that Downtown Seattle link I posted is also working for me as well.

What an annoying bug.

vdeane

I've been noticing the bug too.  It's REALLY annoying.  It's probably an over-correction for tying to reduce the incidence of accidentally clicking onto another road, especially where bridges/tunnels are involved.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

This street doesn't even exist in real life, so how does it exist on Street View? (It's a diagonal in a grid that doesn't have any.)

https://goo.gl/maps/tH8jMj7E4HiaRaxF8
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

CNGL-Leudimin

I've just finished doing this year's Giro d'Italia route, and that bug appeared halfway through. It was really annoying, I ended up clicking on the map through the areas where that bug was present.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on May 21, 2019, 03:17:17 PM

Quote from: 1 on May 21, 2019, 02:18:10 PM
This street doesn't even exist in real life, so how does it exist on Street View? (It's a diagonal in a grid that doesn't have any.)

That's really weird. It's like a Street View island - you can't go in either direction on the next (or previous) cross street.

Which is exactly what we had been talking about for 22 of the last 25 posts...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Maybe it does exist, but it's a trap street?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHaG9zDZU2Y
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 21, 2019, 04:11:27 PM
That's really weird. It's like a Street View island - you can't go in either direction on the next (or previous) cross street.

No, this is different. While true that you can't jump to cross streets here either, this actual road does not exist.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on May 21, 2019, 06:16:56 PM

No, this is different. While true that you can't jump to cross streets here either, this actual road does not exist.

It exists: https://goo.gl/maps/pnQSyX7qk6YSvSZj8

I don't know why it's showing on the map in Street View mode as being somewhere off in the distance. Some code got screwed up somewhere, and it misaligned that old imagery, apparently.

MNHighwayMan

this actual road does not exist.

"Nah, the map can't be wrong! These images are fake!"

Verlanka

It's like they want to trap you in that area for eternity.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on May 21, 2019, 06:44:13 PM
It exists: https://goo.gl/maps/pnQSyX7qk6YSvSZj8
I don't know why it's showing on the map in Street View mode as being somewhere off in the distance. Some code got screwed up somewhere, and it misaligned that old imagery, apparently.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 21, 2019, 08:32:41 PM
this actual road does not exist.
"Nah, the map can't be wrong! These images are fake!"

Of course the road exists :pan:
It just doesn't exist in that area, meaning this is a map / alignment issue separate from what is discussed above.

Ben114

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 21, 2019, 03:33:41 PM

I've just finished doing this year's Giro d'Italia route, and that bug appeared halfway through. It was really annoying, I ended up clicking on the map through the areas where that bug was present.
They recently deleted the Street View on the street I live on.

CtrlAltDel

I was reading the thread on the I-95 interchange with the Pennsylvania Turnpike, wherein Mr. Matté shows that new imagery of the interchange has appeared on Google Earth. At which point I went to Google Maps (because I misread) to check it out, and it turns out that I no longer have a Globe view option. I’m not sure why that is (perhaps they are thinking of removing the option?), but I thought it something worth mentioning.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

vdeane

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 22, 2019, 11:57:36 PM
I was reading the thread on the I-95 interchange with the Pennsylvania Turnpike, wherein Mr. Matté shows that new imagery of the interchange has appeared on Google Earth. At which point I went to Google Maps (because I misread) to check it out, and it turns out that I no longer have a Globe view option. I'm not sure why that is (perhaps they are thinking of removing the option?), but I thought it something worth mentioning.

It probably means that they don't think your computer can handle it.  They occasionally blacklist certain system configurations.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: vdeane on May 24, 2019, 04:47:18 PM
It probably means that they don't think your computer can handle it.  They occasionally blacklist certain system configurations.

I did not know that. That's interesting, if weird, since my computer is brand new.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

vdeane

Could also be OS/drivers or even whether hardware acceleration is enabled.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: vdeane on May 24, 2019, 05:41:13 PM
Could also be OS/drivers or even whether hardware acceleration is enabled.

I did not know that either.

Bickendan

US 41

I've been noticing the bug too, especially on newer images.

The new cameras aren't as good either. Everytime they go under a bridge the imagery is just absolutely horrible. Example (March 2019) --> https://goo.gl/maps/zkhtvgQdKJDDo2KH7
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

jakeroot

Quote from: US 41 on May 29, 2019, 12:10:00 AM
The new cameras aren't as good either. Everytime they go under a bridge the imagery is just absolutely horrible. Example (March 2019) --> https://goo.gl/maps/zkhtvgQdKJDDo2KH7

Perhaps the quality is not so good under a bridge, but the overall capture quality has improved quite a bit. This was primarily to assist Google's AI in reading real-world text:

https://youtu.be/s0bZx4u1hxQ

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US 41 on May 29, 2019, 12:10:00 AM

I'm pretty sure the old ones were just as bad.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.