News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Quote"It's the decline in reflectivity that's prompting the replacement,″ said Doug Cotton, the design manager for the I-84 project.

Okay. Tell that to the Thruway Authority who, until recently, put up non-compliant (and possibly illegal) signs that are not visible in the night at all 😂

PHLBOS

Quote from: seicer on December 10, 2018, 11:14:56 PM
Quote"It's the decline in reflectivity that's prompting the replacement,″ said Doug Cotton, the design manager for the I-84 project.

Okay. Tell that to the Thruway Authority who, until recently, put up non-compliant (and possibly illegal) signs that are not visible in the night at all 😂
Even more ironic, the remaining roughly 30+ year old signs out there are still readable at night.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

seicer

I always wondered what test is done for reflectivity. WVDOH did a massive sign replacement along I-79 and US 50 a year or so ago because the signs were generally all put up at the same time - guide signs, regulatory signs, etc. But not all - some had been replaced as signs were knocked down over the years and as some faded out.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: seicer on December 11, 2018, 10:09:09 AM
I always wondered what test is done for reflectivity. WVDOH did a massive sign replacement along I-79 and US 50 a year or so ago because the signs were generally all put up at the same time - guide signs, regulatory signs, etc. But not all - some had been replaced as signs were knocked down over the years and as some faded out.

There's several methods prescribed in the MUTCD for this (section 2A.08, paragraph 4), but the general gist is that you can either go by visual inspection by a trained engineer, by measurement with a retroreflectometer and compare the result to a table of accepted values, or just set a timeline and replace it once the expected lifetime (as suggested by the manufacturer of the sheeting, for example) is reached.

Mccojm

NYSDOT Long Island NY-27 "Oakdale Merge"  public information meeting with concepts. Design phases and construction are a LONG ways off of it even happens at all.

General link:
https://www.dot.ny.gov/OakdaleMerge

Presentation including the various concepts:
https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/content/delivery/region10/projects/005928-Home/005928-Repository/0059.28%20-%20Oakdale%20Merge_PIM%20Presentation_21%20Nov%202018%20Reduced%20Size.pdf

currently as it's setup, ny-27 EB and WB each have a 3 mainline- 2 service lane setup east and west of the oakdale merge. As NY-27 enters he merge, the service roads end and merge into the three mainline lanes causing major bottleneck delays during rush hours that backs up for miles. Also, NY-27A/ CR-85 comes to a meeting spot next to NY-27 with an alghment running next to NY-27 lanes separated by a jersey barrier with glare fins. Access to ny-27A/CR-85 is only permitted from eb lanes at exit 46a. Also constricting NY-27 it's horroble setupmcurrently besides having my-27a/cr-85 to its south, there's connectquot state park to the north with a bike path butting against the highway, and south of ny-27a is wetlands and waterways and LIRR tracks.  Going forward, NYSDOT is going to have to deal with the highway alignment, environmentally sensitive areas, and maintaining heavy traffic through an already horrendous bottleneck if and when construction occurs and keep costs to a minimum as this region seems to always be at a shortfall when it comes to highway construction projects.

I can see either the DOT going with. Do nothing approach or one of the reversible lane appreciates which will not really solve anything as it is the most cost effect and environmentally least intrusive. The only true solution is somehow carry the 2-3-3-2 lane setup through the merge while also maintaining NY-27a as well on separate alignment.

Region 10 has been beyond the point of any new road construction since probably the 80s with the last major project being the ny-27 conversion to limited access hey in Suffolk county. The oakdale merge fix could be the biggest project region 10 sees since that conversion and for decades to come.

Starting in spring there is a "bandaid"  contract that will be occurring here including resurfacing, installing ramp meters, opening the median barrier to allow emergency vehicle cross over, and installing glare fins on median barrier (much needed, glare through here is horrendous). We're already brwcing for public outrage when they think this project is suppose to be the concepts presented at the pibmicninfo meeting for their long term study.
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

Buffaboy

I have never heard of this junction (never been to LI), but judging by the aerial photos, it looks like a mess with that double merge.

It is interesting to see that all options are on the table in those cutaways. I doubt 75% of them will be considered.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Mccojm

Quote from: Buffaboy on December 11, 2018, 05:04:17 PM
I have never heard of this junction (never been to LI), but judging by the aerial photos, it looks like a mess with that double merge.

It is interesting to see that all options are on the table in those cutaways. I doubt 75% of them will be considered.

It's a total cluster, there's no alternatives through here.  NY-27A basically merges into NY-27 here and traffic in PM rush backs up for miles on 27a through great river and east Islip, cr-50 backs up as it terminates on ny27a just west of the merge. Eb Southern state pkwy backs up for miles as traffic enters ny27 onto the jammed service road west of the merge in which the service road ends and merged into the mainline just east of there.  Can't send traffic north to I495 as that is a parking lot already and would double if not more than double your commute time. The oakdale merge has been one of region 10 biggest headaches for decades, it will definitely be interesting to see what gets built and what solution they could come up with, hopefully before my retirement in 2058 or before I'm forced to move off Long Island as it's too expensive and crowded to live here. I can pretty much guarantee the viaduct concept will never see light of  day between the environmental impacts, nimbys, and the astronomical costs (the largest viaduct option which is also the best option to minimize ROW impacts and carries the 3-3 mainline above and 2-2 service lanes below had price tag of $700+ mil which would be well over $1B when finally constructed and all the claims etc)

Also, I see the "do nothing"  approach being the only thing they can do. The logistics of WZTC and maintaining the already horrible traffic loads through here  will be a nightmare as well as preventing local residents from being trapped by having the local streets choked with detoured traffic. The population and vehicle volume load is just so bad it would be a multi year headache for DOT, emergency services, and residents.
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

vdeane

Question: where is this Truck NY 27 that I found while looking at the area?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cu2010

Following NY27A, the signed route to NY27 involves using the Heckscher Parkway... which is closed to trucks. Hence, the "truck" banner appears to be used to denote the truck route to NY27.

Not the only place in the state where the "truck" banner is being used to denote a route trucks are allowed on as opposed to being a separate signed route...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

vdeane

Looks like Region 10 has their banners in the wrong order.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mccojm

Quote from: cu2010 on December 11, 2018, 08:08:35 PM
Following NY27A, the signed route to NY27 involves using the Heckscher Parkway... which is closed to trucks. Hence, the "truck" banner appears to be used to denote the truck route to NY27.

Not the only place in the state where the "truck" banner is being used to denote a route trucks are allowed on as opposed to being a separate signed route...

I've never seen the ny27 truck sign, but there is a ny25 truck sign that is concurrent with CR-48 middle rd in mattituck on the north fork.

I'm not aware of any other truck routes on Long Island except maybe ny135 which isn't signed as truck but it's just a given being that it's the only limited access north-south route in Nassau county besides parkways.

iPhone

02 Park Ave

Here is a link to an article on the reconstruction of Exit 131 on Route 17 in Orange County:

https://www.recordonline.com/news/20181211/exit-131-project-expected-to-alter-traffic-patterns
C-o-H

vdeane

There's another Truck NY 25 (partially concurrent with that one) out near Greenport on Moores Lane.  The only other one I know of on (geographic) Long Island is Truck NY 27 in Brooklyn.

zachb

I was driving on NY110 and came across this sign. As awesome as it would be to have a US Route on Long Island, I don't think that sign is correct :spin:

Mccojm

Quote from: zachb on December 27, 2018, 09:17:43 PM
I was driving on NY110 and came across this sign. As awesome as it would be to have a US Route on Long Island, I don't think that sign is correct :spin:

In Huntington on ny-25a:

iPhone

zachb

Quote from: Mccojm on December 27, 2018, 11:53:16 PM
Quote from: zachb on December 27, 2018, 09:17:43 PM

In Huntington on ny-25a:

iPhone

I guess you can say NY110 is having an identity crisis...

Although from what it looks like in your pic I think theres black tape on the border of the sign, hiding the NY shield and making look more like a CT shield.

vdeane

Are they outsourcing sign production to Tonawanda now?

Mccojm

Quote from: zachb on December 28, 2018, 06:25:47 AM

I guess you can say NY110 is having an identity crisis...

Although from what it looks like in your pic I think theres black tape on the border of the sign, hiding the NY shield and making look more like a CT shield.

Working for region 10 DOT, the US-110 shield has appeared up and down ny-110 time and time again. Idk how us shield signs even ended up here as closest us route is in nyc which doesnt have a maintenance unit with NYSDOT, it just showed up at sign shop randomly.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: vdeane on December 28, 2018, 12:46:26 PM
Are they outsourcing sign production to Tonawanda now?
Yes to the Tonawanda transmission plant for General Motors.

Michael

On Friday afternoon, I was driving westbound on Erie Blvd in Syracuse instead of I-690 for something different, and a bit before Teall Ave, I decided to use the new ramp from Teall Ave to I-690 westbound.  Teall Ave really needed to be repaved based on looking at old Street View images, and it has been repaved and new signs have been installed all the way to Erie Blvd.  New signals are up at both intersections at the I-690 interchange but there are bags over them.

The turn from Teall Ave northbound to I-690 westbound is now a double left, with new turn lane/I-690 shield combo signs.  The double left wasn't obvious until the last minute since the new signs were blocked by the current signals.  It was a few minutes after 5:00, and there were cars in the southbound left turn lane onto I-690 blocking the northbound left turn onto I-690, but there was a gap I was able to use since I was in the right left turn lane.  As I was turning, I heard someone honk their horn, and I looked behind me to see where the honk came from.  I saw a car that wasn't the one I had been waiting for a gap next to trying to use the same gap I was already turning into.  I don't know if it was that car or another one honking, but if it was them, they should have waited since they were behind me.  Seeing this congestion makes me wonder if they should have used a SPUI instead of a diamond.

After turning, the ramp's right lane ends, and they used a merge sign instead of a lane ends sign.  After the ramp becomes the acceleration lane, the markings were so worn that I couldn't see any of the lane lines.  Since I've never driven that ramp myself (and I don't know if I've ever been on it in the past), I wasn't sure if the lane was an added lane or not.  It's not (and never was) an added lane, so I ended up using the entire length of the lane, and was surprised as it ended since there wasn't a lane ends sign on I-690.  I was looking at the right edge of the pavement to follow it, and as I realized I was switching lanes unexpectedly, I looked behind me, and thankfully, the car in the next lane was far enough back so I could get in.  It was so sudden that I didn't even have time to turn on my blinker!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: vdeane on December 11, 2018, 07:45:35 PM
Question: where is this Truck NY 27 that I found while looking at the area?

There is another Truck 27 in Brooklyn off the Prospect Expressway

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.660929,-73.9877453,0a,75y/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scL247Hbfw_GJD64zzHqbSw!2e0

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hotdogPi

Is anyone going to see the (old) Tappan Zee Bridge being exploded on January 12 at 9:30 AM? Remember to take photos!
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on January 07, 2019, 09:12:15 AMIs anyone going to see the (old) Tappan Zee Bridge being exploded on January 12 at 9:30 AM? Remember to take photos!
If a weather system hits the area this Saturday as predicted; such might be postponed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on January 07, 2019, 09:12:15 AM
Is anyone going to see the (old) Tappan Zee Bridge being exploded on January 12 at 9:30 AM? Remember to take photos!

If it occurs to me to catch that early of a train to work, I'll have the perfect view!

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 07, 2019, 09:55:29 AM
Quote from: 1 on January 07, 2019, 09:12:15 AMIs anyone going to see the (old) Tappan Zee Bridge being exploded on January 12 at 9:30 AM? Remember to take photos!
If a weather system hits the area this Saturday as predicted; such might be postponed.
Fingers crossed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.