News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Who has high blood pressure?

Started by golden eagle, March 01, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Quote from: ce929wax on May 28, 2019, 06:41:15 PM
I do and I take Lisinoprol and Prazosin for it.  Now it runs about 130/70-80. 

Lisinopril gave me a dry cough...I was told this is an allergic reaction to the medicine. If you develop a cough, you will need to change meds. I was on amolodipine (sp?) afterwards and it worked like a charm
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

LM117

Quote from: cjk374 on June 02, 2019, 12:37:04 PM

Lisinopril gave me a dry cough...I was told this is an allergic reaction to the medicine. If you develop a cough, you will need to change meds. I was on amolodipine (sp?) afterwards and it worked like a charm

I've heard the same. Funny thing is that the opposite happened to my mother, who also has high BP, along with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. She was given amlodipine and it sent her to the hospital. She was switched to lisinopril and it worked. She's also taking carvedilol with it.

My doctor is talking about giving me a low dose of losartan, as well as taking me off of propranolol since shortness of breath is apparently a side effect of propranolol and wants to see if I do better with a different beta blocker.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bandit957

When I went to the doctor in late 2016, my BP was a dangerously high 159/98.

I also found out I had thyroid failure, which had caused incredible weight gain. When I was 24 in 1997, I weighed 115. Anyone who went to the Huntington/Ashland roadmeet in 2013 knows I was still very thin then. But in 2016, I shot up to 226. Now I've gotten back down to 199.

The high blood pressure was caused by having to organize rallies after everyone else stopped doing it because they expected everyone else to do it for them. It nearly killed me.

But eventually, great rewards were promised if I finally started getting all my long-term health problems taken care of. These rewards were delivered, and the spring started to go back into my step.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Also, I'm still physically exhausted. A few months ago, I had to take 5 naps every day. I started using a spreadsheet to help speed up the weight loss, and now I'm down to one nap, but I'm still exhausted.

But I'm not in complete agony now like I was for many years because of all the harassment, which I spent all my energy fighting against. I'm just too tired to do anything.

For me, 45 is the new 95.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

ce929wax

No cough for me with the Lisinoprol.  I've been fortunate that I haven't had any real bad side effects with my meds, but some of that is because my doctor ran a DNA test on me to see which meds worked best with my body chemistry.

golden eagle

Quote from: cjk374 on June 02, 2019, 12:37:04 PM

This happened to me. Since I created this post a few years ago, I did lapse and got lazy with my blood pressure. Almost a year ago, I felt like I was having heartburn, but it never seemed to go away. After a few days, I went to an urgent care clinic and discovered my BP got really high again. I was advised to go to the ER at a local hospital (which I did) and for a few hours, I was hooked up to an IV with some kind of drug to lower it. After the treatment was over, I was prescribed lisinpronil (or whatever way you spell it). It was effective, but I suddenly had coughing spells. I thought the coughing was attributed the other things like dust or sleeping under a ceiling fan. It was the medication I was taking, so I was switched to amlodipine and it worked.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on June 03, 2019, 10:23:39 AMMy doctor is talking about giving me a low dose of losartan, as well as taking me off of propranolol since shortness of breath is apparently a side effect of propranolol and wants to see if I do better with a different beta blocker.

Well, I did not end up on losartan, but my cardiologist did switch me to metoprolol succinate ER 25mg last week based on a recommendation from my pulmonologist, since metoprolol is a cardiac-selective beta blocker while propranolol is non-selective.

BIG MISTAKE. My blood pressure went up, along with my heart rate. Switching meds did not improve shortness of breath and my heart was pounding so damn hard that it hurt with each beat, plus I was severely nauseated I ended up in the ER because of it. I tested negative for a heart attack and I called my cardiologist, who told me to stop taking metoprolol immediately and go back to taking propranolol 20mg three times a day as soon as it was safe to do so. The propranolol brought my heart rate and blood pressure back under control, though I still have occasional diastolic pressure spikes every now and then.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.