News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

I am very excited to hear this news. It is probably very highly needed, as I-26 may only be four lanes all the way to I-40, IIRC, and Asheville, NC is growing more and more. Hopefully the newly redone interchanges will turn out well (including the possible DDI).

Honestly, I don't think it would be a terrible idea if the entirety of Interstate 26 from Asheville, North Carolina to Charleston, South Carolina was widened to at least 6 lanes (especially I-26 between Columbia and I-95 needs this). I think this would really help both states, as Interstate 26 has a very high level of importance (especially for South Carolina). For now, widening this section of I-26 in North Carolina is a great start. I cannot wait to see the results!  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

wdcrft63

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 11, 2018, 08:45:36 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 11, 2018, 06:28:36 PM
NCDOT will hold a public hearing Monday on the project to widen I-26 between Hendersonville and I-40 at Asheville. The road will be widened to 6 lanes south of the US 25/Asheville Highway exit (exit 44) and to 8 lanes between that point and I-40. Exit 44 will be replaced by a DDI. More controversially perhaps, the interchange with US 64 (Exit 49) will be rebuilt: currently it is a tight cloverleaf (malfunction junction style). It will be replaced by a half cloverleaf, and traffic exiting I-26 will be forced to turn right; to go the other way will then require a U-turn. Here are links:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15064
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i26Widening/

Construction is set to begin in 2019.

It's still a partial cloverleaf at US 64/Four Seasons, so no U-turns are involved. I think the new release was worded poorly. I-26 WB to US 64 WB will loop and turn right onto Four Seasons, and I-26 WB to US 64 EB will exit and turn right. Same for I-26 EB. It looks like they've also added a "continuous flow" element for the left turns onto I-26 from Four Seasons (left turn lanes will cross over before the bridge).

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/projects/publichearings/I-4400_I-4700_RDY_PHM_Sheet_2_rev_2018-03-28.pdf

Also, the construction starting in 2019 will only be from US 64 west, and the 64 interchange won't be revised until 2023. The southern/eastern most section from 64 to 25 (Exit 54) isn't funded yet.
Thanks for these clarifications. The press release was quite misleading on several points.

LM117

NCDOT has awarded a contract to mill & resurface I-795 between the Wayne/Wilson county line and US-264.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15068

QuoteAlmost eight miles of Interstate 795 in Wilson will be repaved over the next year.

Fred Smith Co. of Raleigh will mill away the top layer of old asphalt and resurface the freeway and its ramps between the Wilson-Wayne county line and Wiggins Mill Road.

During construction, drivers should expect intermittent lane closures, except for holiday weekends.

Fred Smith received a $5.8 million contract from the N.C. Department of Transportation in March. The company may start work after April 30, and it has until June 2019 to finish.

This was one of 16 road and bridge contracts recently awarded by NCDOT. Per state law, they went to the lowest qualified bidder for each project. The contracts are worth $429.7 million, nearly $39 million under engineer estimates.

While there is no press release for it, the same is currently being done between US-70 in Goldsboro and the Wilson County line. The project can also be seen on NCDOT's Progress Report page.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Central%20Letting/07-18-2017%20Central%20Letting/Wayne%20I-5935%20C204024.pdf
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

fillup420

Random thought: It seems that NC is the only state where roads labelled as "Future I-xx" are commonplace. I know of 4 in the state right now. Future I-26 on US 19/23/25/70 north of Asheville, Future I-74 in several sections, mostly along US 74 east of Rockingham, Future I-87 and Future I-42 around Raleigh and eastward. What is the reason for this? It seems to me that NCDOT wants folks to start using the I-numbers before the road is actually considered an interstate. I-26 is sort of understandable because it's just a gap, and there are actual plans to close it. But the others are just far-fetched ideas. Future I-74 has been signed on US 74 ever since the freeway opened up, but no real progress has been made on the route as a whole other than the section with I-73. I just see this all as a waste of resources considering most people don't give a shit what the road is numbered.

LM117

Quote from: fillup420 on April 14, 2018, 12:38:20 PM
Random thought: It seems that NC is the only state where roads labelled as "Future I-xx" are commonplace. I know of 4 in the state right now. Future I-26 on US 19/23/25/70 north of Asheville, Future I-74 in several sections, mostly along US 74 east of Rockingham, Future I-87 and Future I-42 around Raleigh and eastward.

You forgot Future I-587, which is signed along US-264 between Zebulon and Greenville. There's also Future I-795 on US-117 between Goldsboro and I-40.

WashuOtaku

Random thought: It seems that NC is the only state where roads labelled as "Future I-xx" are commonplace. I know of 4 in the state right now. Future I-26 on US 19/23/25/70 north of Asheville, Future I-74 in several sections, mostly along US 74 east of Rockingham, Future I-87 and Future I-42 around Raleigh and eastward. What is the reason for this? It seems to me that NCDOT wants folks to start using the I-numbers before the road is actually considered an interstate. I-26 is sort of understandable because it's just a gap, and there are actual plans to close it. But the others are just far-fetched ideas. Future I-74 has been signed on US 74 ever since the freeway opened up, but no real progress has been made on the route as a whole other than the section with I-73. I just see this all as a waste of resources considering most people don't give a shit what the road is numbered.

You also forgot Future I-285, which is planned to finally be signed later this year.

I know for fact South Carolina has Future I-73 signs and I wouldn't doubt other states indicate future interstates in similar manner.  Printing a few signs on wooden posts is not that much of a waste of resources.  The reason the states do it is to show that future plans are in place to improve the corridor; also helps spread the word for people that don't keep up with highway news that things are changing.

LM117

The "Future I-xxx"  signs are also typically used by towns/cities along it's path as a marketing tool to help lure businesses. That's why Greenville spent a good 4 years lobbying hard for what would become I-587.

While some businesses don't care about I-shields, there are some that are pretty anal about it. The state and the city of Kinston discovered that the hard way with the Global TransPark.

bob7374

Quote from: WashuOtaku on April 15, 2018, 08:37:43 AM

You also forgot Future I-285, which is planned to finally be signed later this year.

I know for fact South Carolina has Future I-73 signs and I wouldn't doubt other states indicate future interstates in similar manner.  Printing a few signs on wooden posts is not that much of a waste of resources.  The reason the states do it is to show that future plans are in place to improve the corridor; also helps spread the word for people that don't keep up with highway news that things are changing.
The Future I-74 signs along the US 74 Rockingham Bypass were taken down in late 2016. There are now no Future I-73 or I-74 shields up in NC, there are still green Future I-74 Corridor signs up in several places along US 52 and US 74, and small green signs with Future I-73 along US 220 north of NC 68 in Rockingham County.

Dustin DeWinn

Quote from: LM117 on April 03, 2018, 03:34:03 PM
The C.F. Harvey Parkway (NC-148) in Kinston is being extended from NC-58 to NC-11.

http://www.witn.com/content/news/Felix-Harvey-Parkway-being-extended-to-Highway-11-478676233.html

QuoteWork is underway on a big highway project that is expected to benefit northern Lenoir County.

The Felix Harvey Parkway is being extended from Highway 58 near the Global TransPark over to Highway 11.

The $73.5 million project is being built by Branch Civil, Incorporated from Roanoke, Virginia.

The parkway will join Highway 11 just south of the DuPont plant, adding 5.8 miles of four-lane highway.

When completed in 2021, drivers will be able to take Felix Harvey Parkway from Highway 11 to where the road currently ends at U.S. 70 west of Kinston.

As a side note, as I live near Kinston, I take CF Harvey at least once a week and I was curious about these markers on the side of the road NEAR (but not IN) the construction area where every 100 feet or so, on the right shoulder, there are 3 stakes laid out in triangles and wrapped with pink fluorescent tape. IDK if this is a state thing or a national thing, but I made a few calls to see what they are/signify. Apparently its areas that have already been surveyed, though I don't know how they differ from the single stakes wrapped in the same ribbon....

Just thought I'd share because of my interest in highway markings and signage.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 12, 2018, 04:04:46 PM
I am very excited to hear this news. It is probably very highly needed, as I-26 may only be four lanes all the way to I-40, IIRC, and Asheville, NC is growing more and more. Hopefully the newly redone interchanges will turn out well (including the possible DDI).

Honestly, I don't think it would be a terrible idea if the entirety of Interstate 26 from Asheville, North Carolina to Charleston, South Carolina was widened to at least 6 lanes (especially I-26 between Columbia and I-95 needs this). I think this would really help both states, as Interstate 26 has a very high level of importance (especially for South Carolina). For now, widening this section of I-26 in North Carolina is a great start. I cannot wait to see the results!  :nod:

Yes, I-26 is only four lanes from I-40 to the South Carolina state line. For comparison, traffic volumes between I-40 and the airport are similar to I-85 between Kings Mountain and Gastonia and on the northern and southern sides of Salisbury. Not only has the area grown a lot, but there is a tremendous amount of vacation traffic funneled through there (both visitors to the area and mid-westerners bound for the beaches.

I don't foresee I-26 being widened all the way to the South Carolina state line any time soon, but truck climbing lanes would be a huge benefit, especially around Green River. I don't know if the numbers support it, but it seems like there are way more trucks than there were ten years ago. When loaded, they go about 25-35 mph up the westbound Green River grade. And speaking of Green River, both of those bridges are 50 years old and rated structurally deficient. Whenever they are replaced, I can't imagine they will leave it as four lanes.

The I-26 Connector through Asheville is also on the horizon. R/W and construction are scheduled to commence in 2020 for the I-26/I-40/I-240 interchange and new crossing of the French Broad (sections C and B, respectively). The I-240 widening still isn't funded yet.

wdcrft63

NCDOT is beginning construction to improve two off-ramps from I-40 in the Asheville area: the eastbound exit at Hendersonville Road (Exit 50) and the westbound exit at Sweeten Creek Road (Exit 51). The goal is to stop traffic from backing up onto the freeway during rush hour conditions.
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15119

LM117

NCDOT is holding a public meeting on May 10 to discuss widening NC-42 between US-70 Business in Clayton and NC-50.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15140

Meanwhile, a stretch of NC-24 near Roseboro in Sampson County is closed until late August.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15143

LM117

Update on the I-85 reconstruction project between Henderson and the VA state line.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15159

QuoteWork on the Interstate 85 improvement project in Vance and Warren counties is requiring a series of traffic shifts and closures this coming week.

On Monday, May 7, I-85 northbound traffic will shift on a median crossover just north of U.S. 1. Traffic will be in a one-lane pattern in each direction until the northbound traffic crosses back over to the original northbound lanes near Manson Road. This last shift will allow crews to build the final northbound section of I-85, expected to be completed by mid-November 2018.

This last phase of improvements will close a trio of northbound ramps. The I-85 off and on-ramps at Flemingtown Road (Exit 220), and the on-ramp at Manson Road (Exit 223) will reopen as the project finishes in the fall.

Flemingtown Road will close on Wednesday, May 9, for two days while crews demolish the I-85 northbound bridge. I-85 southbound traffic will not be impacted because the I-85 southbound off-ramp to Flemingtown and on-ramp from Flemingtown will remain open. Flemingtown Road traffic will be detoured via U.S. 158, Jacksontown Road, and Jackson-Royster Roads.

This work is part of a $137.3-million project to improve I-85 between Dabney Road in Vance County and the Virginia state line. The work involves repairing the deteriorating road surface, as well as bridge replacements and improvements.

The project has travelers in a single-lane pattern in both directions for a lengthy stretch. That makes it very important for drivers to slow down, avoid distractions, and leave extra space between their vehicle and the one in front of them for the safety of travelers and construction crews through the area.

For real-time travel information at any time, visit DriveNC.gov, or follow NCDOT on Twitter.

OracleUsr

Just went through that area last Friday coming back from Lake Gaston.  Was a pain in the rear, but I got some signage shots at exit 218 (it opened up right before the exit)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Roadsguy

Are there any more detailed diagrams like this one of the US 17 upgrades and bypasses around Maysville and Pollocksville? Despite being a pretty big upgrade, NCDOT doesn't seem to have a page for it. All I can find are news articles and a few simple maps breaking down the sections.

Will the upgraded sections of the existing road be made fully controlled-access freeways, or just the new alignment sections?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jcarte29

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 05, 2018, 10:37:55 PM
Are there any more detailed diagrams like this one of the US 17 upgrades and bypasses around Maysville and Pollocksville? Despite being a pretty big upgrade, NCDOT doesn't seem to have a page for it. All I can find are news articles and a few simple maps breaking down the sections.

Will the upgraded sections of the existing road be made fully controlled-access freeways, or just the new alignment sections?

Just the new alighnment sections I think. My house is 3 minutes from the southern end of this project, and in fact one of the prior plans was to go right through my neighborhood, so I'm very happy with the final decision lol.
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

slorydn1

Quote from: jcarte29 on May 07, 2018, 09:40:12 PM

Just the new alighnment sections I think. My house is 3 minutes from the southern end of this project, and in fact one of the prior plans was to go right through my neighborhood, so I'm very happy with the final decision lol.

That's interesting. My house is approximately 3 minutes from the northern end of the project (well from the stoplight at US-17 and US-17 Business, anyway).

My understanding was that its supposed to be a 70 mph freeway from the existing New Bern Bypass in Craven County down to Maysville and 60 mph expressway from Maysville to the current 4 lane sections in Onslow County. I no longer remember where I read that, however. I will endeavor to try to find it again.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

A second lawsuit has been filed regarding Greenville's redlight cameras. If at first you don't succeed...

http://www.reflector.com/News/2018/05/10/Second-lawsuit-filed-against-red-light-cameras.html

cowboy_wilhelm

Here are the public hearing maps from 2012(?):
Section B
Section C
Section D

Really detailed plans can be found here.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 22, 2018, 11:18:00 AM
I don't foresee I-26 being widened all the way to the South Carolina state line any time soon, but truck climbing lanes would be a huge benefit, especially around Green River. I don't know if the numbers support it, but it seems like there are way more trucks than there were ten years ago. When loaded, they go about 25-35 mph up the westbound Green River grade. And speaking of Green River, both of those bridges are 50 years old and rated structurally deficient. Whenever they are replaced, I can't imagine they will leave it as four lanes.

It turns out both bridges are scheduled for bridge rehabilitation next year (15BPR.20). The preliminary estimate is $9.6 million, so it sounds like a fair bit of work.

NCDOT 12 MONTH LET LIST (APRIL 2018 0- MARCH 2019

architect77

The new Bonner Bridge will easily become the NC's most elegant and possibly the first (whether intentional or not) piece of infrastructure that ventured away from pure utilitarian aesthetics.

It might make the years of lawsuits worthwhile.

I'm loving the gentle arching shapes, and apparently their 350' spans combined will accommodate lots of shifting of the channel and sand requiring only the navigational markers to be moved over to the next span.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with donations or voluntary toll contributions if people want to help.

Just like a single $5 toll at Va and SC borders on I-95 would be considered reasonable to interstate motorists and wouldn't affect in-state residents.

LM117

NCDOT is holding a public meeting on May 17 to discuss converting the I-440/Wake Forest Road interchange in Raleigh to a DDI.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15190

wdcrft63

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on May 11, 2018, 08:50:56 AM

It turns out both bridges are scheduled for bridge rehabilitation next year (15BPR.20). The preliminary estimate is $9.6 million, so it sounds like a fair bit of work.

NCDOT 12 MONTH LET LIST (APRIL 2018 0- MARCH 2019

Wow. I count nine major design-build projects scheduled for letting in the coming 12 months:

June 19: I-40 widening, I-440 to NC 42, 12.8 mi, $269.1 million

July 17: I-485 rebuild, I-77 to NC 74; 17.52 mi, $322.9 million
July 17: I-74/US 52 interchange in Winston-Salem; 2.6 mi, $113.0 million
July 17: I-440 rebuild, Wade Avenue to I-40; 6 mi, $254.5 million

Sep. 18: I-40/I-77 interchange Phase II, 3.6 mi, $214.2 million
Sep. 18: Mid-Currituck Bridge; 9.9 mi, $414.7 million (tollway)

Nov. 20: NC 540, US 401 to I-40; 8.7 mi, $465.3 million (tollway)

Jan. 15: US 70 (Future I-42) in James City; 11.1 mi, $147.5 million

Mar. 19: NC 540 Holly Springs Road to US 401; $239.2 million (tollway)

That's approximately $2.44 billion in major projects, including $1.12 billion toll-funded and $1.32 billion tax-funded.

ARMOURERERIC

I have heard that the 485  rebuild will have median HOT lanes.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 14, 2018, 07:39:44 PM
Sep. 18: I-40/I-77 interchange Phase II, 3.6 mi, $214.2 million

Glad to see the next phase of that interchange rebuild happening. :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.