News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: MCRoads on March 28, 2018, 07:40:31 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 06, 2018, 04:05:47 PM
... you are excited Big Rig Travels is going to cross craIG county (He has done so about half-a-hour ago).

BRT went past the craIG CountY sign? Did he comment about it?

I JUST FOUND IT!!! It (is there more than one?) is on the south county line on US 69.

The southbound direction on US 69 there has a  “m a y e s  c o u n t Y” sign that is almost as bad.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: webny99 on March 22, 2018, 02:13:51 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 21, 2018, 03:03:53 AM
If you posted in "Threads you'll never see on aaroads.com" before it was locked...

If you believe that thread should not have been locked  :D :banghead:

IMO it should be reopened. I still believe I went too far when I proposed "How many toddlers' foreskins have you pulled back?" seeing how some reacted. But at least I didn't post something illegal, it wasn't meant to be about child sexual abuse anyway.
Quote from: MCRoads on March 28, 2018, 07:40:31 PM
... you are excited Big Rig Travels is going to cross craIG county (He has done so about half-a-hour ago).

BRT went past the craIG CountY sign? Did he comment about it?

I JUST FOUND IT!!! It (is there more than one?) is on the south county line on US 69.

Nope, he went through the county on Will Rogers Turnpike/I-44 (twice: back when I posted that and again last Sunday), so he didn't see the Golden Standard of the Worst Signs Ever.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Quote from: Michael on February 02, 2018, 10:08:43 PM
...you notice you share a birthday with another roadgeek. (I just noticed that Scott5114 and I have the same birthday, and even the same birth year)

:-o

Happy belated birthday!

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 07, 2018, 03:54:50 PM
Also, if you (like me), on school assignments, were just absolutely dying to use those very Roadgeek Fonts on your Word Documents, but unfortunately you can't because of the typical mandatory font requirements (like Times New Roman 12 or something).  :-D  :-(

You can usually slip those in as headings without causing too much upset. Of course, having no requirements for body text and a page count minimum is the only situation that Series F was made for.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 29, 2018, 06:51:55 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 07, 2018, 03:54:50 PM
Also, if you (like me), on school assignments, were just absolutely dying to use those very Roadgeek Fonts on your Word Documents, but unfortunately you can't because of the typical mandatory font requirements (like Times New Roman 12 or something).  :-D  :-(
You can usually slip those in as headings without causing too much upset. Of course, having no requirements for body text and a page count minimum is the only situation that Series F was made for.
I just might try to write a paper in the FHWA Series!

Now should EM be used for body text or headings? Suggestions or a table of sorts on what series you would use in a certain situation? After all, that is what the Series is a bunch of situationally adaptable fonts!

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

ThatRandomOshawott

You got angry when someone used the wrong type of shield for something when you were in elementary school.
Once, when I was in elementary school, my grade and I did a Dr.Seuss-based "program", where we sang various Dr.Seuss-related songs. One song was about McElligot's Pool, and the lines were lifted straight from the book. When each line was sang, someone came out with the thing referenced by the line. When we got to the line "Right under State Highway 203", the prop that the person carried was a fake sign for that highway, but with a US Route shield instead of a state route shield.

index

I have began to unintentionally imagine all the answers to my multiple choice tests as suffixed interstates for some reason. I-30C... I-11E... I-40A...
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

DaBigE

You notice when companies are illegally using the Interstate shield as part of their logo.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: DaBigE on April 26, 2018, 01:46:52 AM
You notice when companies are illegally using the Interstate shield as part of their logo.
I don't understand.

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

CNGL-Leudimin

IIRC the Interstate shield is copyrighted, but now I don't recall who holds the copyright, if the AASHTO or the FHWA. But they don't really enforce it, unlike some asshole companies do.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 26, 2018, 01:07:01 PM
IIRC the Interstate shield is copyrighted, but now I don't recall who holds the copyright, if the AASHTO or the FHWA. But they don't really enforce it, unlike some asshole companies do.

From the FHWA Interstate 50th Anniversary Page:  AASHO secured Trademark Registration 835.635 for the shield in 1967,  to prevent private entities from using  Interstate-like advertising signs near the highways where they might confuse motorists

Seems to me the operative phrase here is where they might confuse motorists.  So a local restaurant whose LOGO is the interstate shield, and uses that LOGO as their trailblazer sign to get drivers from the freeway to the restaurant, will probably run afoul of the AASHTO trademark.  But most businesses I've seen that use the Interstate shield on billboards and the like are probably OK.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2012, 05:18:21 PM
My wife has a home daycare, and I get two weekdays plus one morning off per week, so I've watched the movie 'Cars' about 4720 times.  I keep noticing little things and big things road-related in the movie.....

Mack doesn't keep to the right lane as much as he should.   :thumbdown:

There's a button-copy US-66 shield.  :thumbsup:

Radiator Springs has a four-way flashing yellow; if the cross street had a STOP sign, it would flash red; if it were an uncontrolled intersection, I doubt there'd be a flashing light.  :thumbdown:

The freeway that takes traffic away from US-66 is labeled as I-40 on the map.  :thumbsup:

I-40 is six lanes in rural parts of the West; yeah, I wish!  :thumbdown:

I guess you're a roadgeek if you watch a cartoon and notice this stuff.

Also, Fillmore is right, the timing of the blinking really is slightly off.

thenetwork

...You feel a feel giddy and refreshed when the local municipality just put down freshly painted stripes on the road.

Michael

...you are excited at the fact that an article about a NY state route is Wikipedia's featured article of the day.

CNGL-Leudimin

Now upgrading to...

... you're excited Big Rig Steve is going to roll past the craIG county sign!!! He is on Northbound US 69 across M a y e s   C o u n t y right now.

Edit:  Very sad news...

CNGL-Leudimin

To make up the Craig County OK blowout, I have to say a few days ago Big Rig Steve was to nothing less than Breezewood! I got to see how that thing works.

jwolfer

You know your way around the city better than your friends who have driven Uber for almost 2 years

Z981

jwolfer

Or the New Jersey Turnpike authority.. they sued a pizza shop in South Florida that used a logo like the Garden State Parkway logo.. and lost

Z981

roadman

Quote from: jwolfer on June 08, 2018, 09:34:58 PM
Or the New Jersey Turnpike authority.. they sued a pizza shop in South Florida that used a logo like the Garden State Parkway logo.. and lost

Z981

And why hasn't the lawyer who represented the NJTA lost their license for bringing the lawsuit in the first place?  IANAL, but even I knew what the judge's ruling would be in this case before it was issued.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

webny99

You know you're a roadgeek if... something you find on the road immediately reminds you of a particular forum thread!

(Example from the thread for redundant signs:
Quote from: webny99 on February 20, 2022, 06:47:36 PM
I found this pair of "No Outlet" signs and immediately thought of this thread.)

SkyPesos

Quote from: yakra on February 21, 2018, 04:52:49 PM
My power bill last month was 75.29.
Which obviously means that http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.000435&lon=-97.237633
Something similar for me, except for 75.25 or 75.41

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.