News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: roadman65 on January 12, 2018, 12:06:07 PM
I do not see why not NJDOT did not make US 1 up to freeway standards from New Brunswick to Trenton years ago before the current sprawl in West Windsor and South Brunswick.  Before 1985, the road had hardly any development along its corridor, where upgrading to a freeway could have been done easily without eminent domain proceedings to acquire land along its ROW. 

Is this US-1 section currently on a limited access right-of-way?  If not, then that would have to be acquired thru eminent domain proceedings, at least I am pretty sure that every state works that way in the U.S.

In Virginia --

Limited Access Control
- Limited Access Highway is defined as extinguishing the abutting property's right to access the roadway that the land adjoins (􀋐33.1-57)
- CTB has authority to designate, regulate, abandon, and discontinue limited access control (§33.1-58)
- VDOT must actually purchase these access rights from the abutting landowners as a part of a project's right of way acquisition, and these are recorded by deeds

http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2010/oct/pres/Agenda_Item_6_CTB_Limited_Access_Control10-12-10.pdf
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Mr. Matté

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 12, 2018, 03:34:25 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 12, 2018, 01:41:29 PMThe normal people just don't care.
I'd wait until the signs are actually erected before making that call just yet.

In terms of 101.5, once the change is made, the comments from the "normal people" will be "WHY IS CORZINE, JR. SPENDING MY TAX MONEY TO REPLACE SIGNS?"

Alps

Quote from: bzakharin on January 12, 2018, 03:41:48 PM
I wonder how you can gradually replace the signs. Will they just work from the current 295 terminus? Will they temporarily put up the "End 295 Begin 95" at each interchange as they complete its signing and move it when they complete the next one?
Put up the new assemblies and bag them. For overhead signs, the question is whether they're going on existing gantries or new. If they're new, put them up and bag them. If they're going on existing, a crew has to go through and change things. Get a few crews, maybe all done in one night.

roadman65

Quote from: Beltway on January 12, 2018, 05:13:57 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 12, 2018, 12:06:07 PM
I do not see why not NJDOT did not make US 1 up to freeway standards from New Brunswick to Trenton years ago before the current sprawl in West Windsor and South Brunswick.  Before 1985, the road had hardly any development along its corridor, where upgrading to a freeway could have been done easily without eminent domain proceedings to acquire land along its ROW. 

Is this US-1 section currently on a limited access right-of-way?  If not, then that would have to be acquired thru eminent domain proceedings, at least I am pretty sure that every state works that way in the U.S.

In Virginia --

Limited Access Control
• Limited Access Highway is defined as extinguishing the abutting property’s right to access the roadway that the land adjoins (􀋐33.1-57)
• CTB has authority to designate, regulate, abandon, and discontinue limited access control (§33.1-58)
• VDOT must actually purchase these access rights from the abutting landowners as a part of a project’s right of way acquisition, and these are recorded by deeds

http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2010/oct/pres/Agenda_Item_6_CTB_Limited_Access_Control10-12-10.pdf
I do not know what you are saying, but I simply suggested that before development you could acquire land easier than, lets say, if TGI Fridays builds right up against the highway.  Whether Fridays sells or not is the issue, but the fact is that it takes more time to secure the right of way if it is occupied than vacant.

Also in VA I distinctly remember US 301 being upgraded to I-95 between Exits 12 and 41 which was not freeway previously.  Also I-64 west of Williamsburg was originally a divided arterial called VA 168.   Also the I-77 and I-81 concurrency was a non freeway as well.

I lived in NJ and traveled US 1 plenty of times and even lived off of it, so I know that area back then and it could have been easy then to just upgrade.  Heck if your point was to just upgrade it now, I am for that if it can be done with ease or even takes twenty years to get it in order.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

I don't think New Jersey ever would have converted that stretch of Route-1 to controlled-access status because it would have taken too much traffic (and revenue) away from the NJ Turnpike.

roadman65

Not really as it opened up anyway for development that uses it to get in and out. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: roadman65 on January 12, 2018, 05:58:22 PM
I do not know what you are saying, but I simply suggested that before development you could acquire land easier than, lets say, if TGI Fridays builds right up against the highway.  Whether Fridays sells or not is the issue, but the fact is that it takes more time to secure the right of way if it is occupied than vacant.
Also in VA I distinctly remember US 301 being upgraded to I-95 between Exits 12 and 41 which was not freeway previously.  Also I-64 west of Williamsburg was originally a divided arterial called VA 168.   Also the I-77 and I-81 concurrency was a non freeway as well.
I lived in NJ and traveled US 1 plenty of times and even lived off of it, so I know that area back then and it could have been easy then to just upgrade.  Heck if your point was to just upgrade it now, I am for that if it can be done with ease or even takes twenty years to get it in order.

I don't know the details of what it would take to upgrade US-1 in New Jersey, but I can assure you that those segments in Virginia were not easy to upgrade, it involved 100 feet or more of right-of-way acquisition on one side of the highway, the construction of a new directional roadway for the Interstate, reconstruction of one of the existing roadways to Interstate standards, construction of service roads, construction of bridges, and construction of interchanges.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on January 12, 2018, 11:13:16 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 12, 2018, 05:58:22 PM

I don't know the details of what it would take to upgrade US-1 in New Jersey, but I can assure you that those segments in Virginia were not easy to upgrade, it involved 100 feet or more of right-of-way acquisition on one side of the highway, the construction of a new directional roadway for the Interstate, reconstruction of one of the existing roadways to Interstate standards, construction of service roads, construction of bridges, and construction of interchanges.
Upgrading US 1 would require either building miles of service roads on either side, or acquiring in total hundreds of businesses because their driveway access would be revoked. Now add the cost of utilities in South Brunswick (tens of millions, if not hundreds) to the cost of widening (tens of more millions, if not hundreds). Even ratcheting that back 40 years, that's a lot of money to spend, with more needed projects elsewhere. (The widening in SB should take place, and is slowly being done piecemeal, but not the revocation of driveways.)

yakra

QuoteThe widening in SB should take place
By SB, do you mean South Brunswick?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

NE2

Quote from: Alps on January 13, 2018, 12:21:40 AM
Upgrading US 1 would require either building miles of service roads on either side, or acquiring in total hundreds of businesses because their driveway access would be revoked.
Replace the center lane in each direction with Jersey barriers. There you go...two-lane freeway with one-lane service roads.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NE2 on January 13, 2018, 02:28:13 PM
Upgrading US 1 would require either building miles of service roads on either side, or acquiring in total hundreds of businesses because their driveway access would be revoked.
Replace the center lane in each direction with Jersey barriers. There you go...two-lane freeway with one-lane service roads.

Way.too much traffic for 2 lanes.  Simply look at the morning rush hour when most stores aren't open. Those 3 lanes are needed, and the shoulders were opened up in the 2 lane sections to handle the traffic.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 14, 2018, 11:18:23 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 13, 2018, 02:28:13 PM

Way.too much traffic for 2 lanes.  Simply look at the morning rush hour when most stores aren't open. Those 3 lanes are needed, and the shoulders were opened up in the 2 lane sections to handle the traffic.
Jeff, meet NE2.

ekt8750

Saw some VMSes warning that 95 North at PA 413 will be closed overnight on 2/2 and 2/3. It would appear the beams for the flyover ramps will be completed at this time. We're getting there lol

cpzilliacus

Quote from: ekt8750 on January 19, 2018, 02:01:44 PM
It would appear the beams for the flyover ramps will be completed at this time. We're getting there lol

The Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1982 (H.R. 6211, Public Law 97-424) was approved by Congress on 06-Jan-1983, about 12,797 days ago as I write this, well over 30 years.  I know that it was not Pennsylvania's fault that the Somerset Freeway part of I-95 was cancelled, but taking this long to complete what should have been a fairly simple interchange project is the fault of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission and PennDOT.

Here's the relevant language (emphasis added):

QuoteWITHDRAWAL  AND  DESIGNATION  OF  CERTAIN  INTERSTATE  ROUTES 
SEC.   162.
(a) Notwithstanding  the  first  sentence  of section  103(e)(4)  of  title  23,  United   States  Code,  the  Secretary   of  Transportation  shall,  upon  application  of the  State  of  New  Jersey,  withdraw  under  such  section  103(e)(4) his approval  of the  designation  on the  National  System  of Interstate  and  Defense  Highways  of the  portion  of  Interstate  Route  95 and  Interstate  Route  695  from  the  intersection with Interstate  Route  295  in  Hopewell  Township,  Mercer  County,  New  Jersey,  to  the  proposed  intersection  with  Interstate  Route  287  in  Franklin  Township, Somerset  County,  New  Jersey. 
(b)  Notwithstanding  any  other  provision  of  law,  the  Secretary  of  Transportation  is authorized  and  directed, pursuant  to section  103 of such title, to designate as part  of the Interstate  Highway  System  the  New  Jersey  Turnpike   from   exit   10  to  the  interchange  with   the   Pennsylvania  Turnpike  and  the  Pennsylvania  Turnpike  from  such  interchange  to  and  including  the  proposed  interchange  with  Interstate Route  95 in  Bucks County,  Pennsylvania.
(c)  The  Secretary   of  Transportation   is  further   authorized   and directed  to  designate  the  highways  described  in  subsection  (b)  as  Interstate  Route  95 and  assure through  proper  sign  designations  the  orderly  connection  of  Interstate  Route  95  pursuant  to  this  section.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

A co-worker of mine was recently on the stretch of I-95 near Mercer-Trenton Airport (TTN) last Friday.  According to him, new signs w/the new I-295 designation are erected (at least in that vicinity) but covered in black tarp.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Per this press release, http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2018/011218.shtm , they were supposed to start last week.  It's possible they may have erected some signs.  Of course, it could also be construction-related signage for the Scudder Falls Bridge.  It's doubtful any new overhead signage was done yet.

PHLBOS

My co-worker didn't specify if the tarped signs he saw were overhead or ground-mounted.  I haven't had a chance yet to head up there to verify.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Compulov

I'll need to drive up 95 one day and take a peek (I moved so I started taking US 1 into work instead of 95). I can say they've put up VMSes at every entrance between 1 and the bridge to mention the numbering change is going to happen. Since I think the new ramps are supposed to open *sometime* this year (summer?), I would imagine they'd want the renumbering done well in advance of that.

akotchi

My office is located at the Princeton Pike interchange, and they have been changing out signs since January 18.  I have been getting a few as I have been noticing the changes.  A couple of my photos from the past few days are below -- I am finally learning how to upload these things . . .

Ground-mounted signs are being changed first, since they only require shoulder closures to do.

(Left) New I-295 confirmation just west of Exit 67.  First time it has been I-295 since 1993.  Taken January 18.

(Right) New sign showing old and new routes and exit numbers.  Guide sign in background already has new exit number.  Taken January 22.

A couple of route marker assemblies on U.S. 1 northbound approaching the (former) I-95 SB ramp have also been changed over, and I got photos the day they appeared, but they have since been covered.

Edit:  Replaced with slightly larger photos.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

akotchi

There is some space between the two signs, though not a lot.  In any event, seems like an odd placement for it, as it is not attached in any way to the guide sign.

I think my sitting in the shoulder on a curved section of highway may make that blockage worse than it really is.  I will know better when I go past it again in the morning.  Was more interested in getting the shot.

Also . . . curious to see if the plate under the Hospital sign in the background gets changed.  The hospital is at I-95 Exit 3B (my wife works there), which will become I-295 Exit 73A.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

yakra

Before making the necessary NJ changes in TravelMapping, I'm waiting till all NJ signage is changed over, which TMK will be early Phase 2, March - April 2018. How's signage looking within the Scudder Falls Bridge project limits, existing I-95 Exit 1 in New Jersey?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

akotchi

According to the project schedule, the Scudder Falls Bridge sign changes are supposed to occur in the March-April timeframe.  Probably will be done as a change order under the ongoing construction contract (not sure), which is different from the NJDOT work underway.  I have not been by there this week, but as of late last week, no changes had been made yet.

I have been changing my way home lately to monitor the changes.  Probably won't get that way tonight because of the rain, but can check again tomorrow.

jeffandnicole

I'm actually surprised they've posted as much as they've had already, being it's only been a week since they started!  I guess I'm used to NJDOT's slow pace of construction...even if it's only general signage work!

akotchi

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 22, 2018, 01:40:43 PM
My co-worker didn't specify if the tarped signs he saw were overhead or ground-mounted.  I haven't had a chance yet to head up there to verify.
I went through there this afternoon leaving work.  There are a few covered assemblies at Exit 2 and toward the bridge.  One has an interstate shield partly visible.  They are oversized detour assemblies for the various ramp detours associated with Scudder Falls Bridge work.

The DOT's project webpage indicates a "north-to-south" changeover, i.e. from U.S. 1 toward the bridge.  As of this evening, nothing west of 8B/68A has been changed, nothing at all in the I-95 northbound direction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.