News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

rickmastfan67

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

rickmastfan67

jakeroot

Never did like that API. Not interactive enough. May I suggest screenshots from here on? That's what I've always done.

Brian556

Quote from: jakeroot on September 02, 2018, 12:18:07 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on September 01, 2018, 07:37:36 PM
Google Maps is slower than an 85-year old woman driving a Buick

Depends on the computer.

3.6 GHz processor, 8G RAM. Motherboard has on-board graphics

Michael

A few days ago, the ClassyGMap link I use that still has ClassyGMap branding had the "for development purposes only" watermark.  I got the watermark once before when Acme Mapper still used Google Maps as a base, and it was just a DIV that I was able to add a filter for in Adblock Plus.  When I added the filter, I was surprised that the watermark wasn't added server-side, and wondered how long it would take for Google to start adding it.  It turns out that this week was when it happened.  I did notice something weird though: while loading the map, it didn't have a watermark for a split second.  After looking at Chrome's developer tools, I found that it turns out that there's a sort of key that tells it to load the watermarked tiles.  I was able to block the key, and it worked fine.  Here's the filter I used:

http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js/QuotaService.RecordEvent?1shttp%3A%2F%2Fgokml.net%2Fmaps-azteca.php*

I assume that the address at the end could be changed to another address and it would work on that site too.  Now the question is if Google will figure this out and move everything server-side.

bzakharin

Has anyone noticed that any time there is street view from 2018 there is no history even when there used to be older data?

LM117

Quote from: bzakharin on October 09, 2018, 07:45:24 PM
Has anyone noticed that any time there is street view from 2018 there is no history even when there used to be older data?

It worked fine for me. I used streetview in Goldsboro, NC and I was able to use the history. I just wish the history feature was available on the Google Maps app.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

thenetwork

Kinda cool that the latest GSV shows me just ahead of them for 3 blocks going down one of the streets in my town.  They were driving in town back in June and it finally got posted.  :bigass:

bzakharin

Quote from: LM117 on October 09, 2018, 08:15:35 PM

It worked fine for me. I used streetview in Goldsboro, NC and I was able to use the history. I just wish the history feature was available on the Google Maps app.
You are right, I found places where it sort of works for me (the number of items in the history changes depending on which one is selected), so it's not everywhere

jakeroot

Quote from: bzakharin on October 09, 2018, 10:59:31 PM
Quote from: LM117 on October 09, 2018, 08:15:35 PM

You are right, I found places where it sort of works for me (the number of items in the history changes depending on which one is selected), so it's not everywhere

While I love historic street view, it's not without its flaws. Depending on the exact point you're "standing", you could have anywhere from one to eight (or more) options. Big issue in cities, where the cars drive around a lot.

seicer

I was going to report that I see past histories, but now it's been removed for a few areas I know have prior data. Might just be a bug.

vdeane

I've been seeing the prior data most of the time.  Only location I can think of where I didn't was on I-86/NY 17 WB near Chemung, which had the right lane closed when street view went through and may have interfered with the data points matching up.  I've also found at least one location where Google defaulted to an older year and I had to keep using the history menu to get the recent data (Brookdale Ave in Cornwall).  Speaking of Cornwall, I think it's interesting that they drove across the bridge onto the island, turned around at the former location of customs (too bad they didn't get imagery for the other streets on the island while they were doing this!) and then went through present-day customs, camera on.  This happened a lot in the first round of street view (the blurry era), but they usually try to avoid it now.  The area still looks like a construction site even though theoretically it was supposed to be done; I guess they don't see the need to tidy everything up.

This round of street view updates seems to be the least exciting in a while.  No new countries, no new areas they had previously missed, not even high-profile new highways like I-11 or FL 9B.  Seems like they stuck mostly to major roads they already had.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: vdeane on October 10, 2018, 12:45:23 PM
This round of street view updates seems to be the least exciting in a while.  No new countries, no new areas they had previously missed, not even high-profile new highways like I-11 or FL 9B.  Seems like they stuck mostly to major roads they already had.

The June-July 2018 GSV does seem to have a slightly higher resolution and more vivid colors than even hi-res imagery from 2017, 2016. As I play Geoguessr, I can immediately tell which imagery is from this past summer and I bet I would be right if I cheated and hit the Google Maps hyperlink that appears in the game (which brings you to the spot you're viewing).

jakeroot

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 12, 2018, 09:22:32 AM
Quote from: vdeane on October 10, 2018, 12:45:23 PM

The June-July 2018 GSV does seem to have a slightly higher resolution and more vivid colors than even hi-res imagery from 2017, 2016. As I play Geoguessr, I can immediately tell which imagery is from this past summer and I bet I would be right if I cheated and hit the Google Maps hyperlink that appears in the game (which brings you to the spot you're viewing).

I noticed the change in camera quality as well. Noticeably easier to read signs, and there's less in the way of clipping (or whatever it's called, when the images are put together, but they don't always overlap correctly). Evidently, Google found it harder to take proper 360 degree photos than they initially expected, as it's taken 11 years to get to this point. There was a giant boost in quality around 2008 to 2009, but quality has been relatively stagnant since then.

kphoger

I've seen a few flaws with the new imagery.  Specifically, they seem to have gotten the directions wrong on some.  There have been locations I've browsed, where the pegman moved at 90° to where I clicked, and one instance where the pegman moved backwards from where I clicked.  With that having happened in multiple locations, I'm none too thrilled.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on October 12, 2018, 06:00:28 PM
I've seen a few flaws with the new imagery.  Specifically, they seem to have gotten the directions wrong on some.  There have been locations I've browsed, where the pegman moved at 90° to where I clicked, and one instance where the pegman moved backwards from where I clicked.  With that having happened in multiple locations, I'm none too thrilled.

Have the images lined up with the direction the pegman was facing on the bottom-left map? (assuming you're browsing on a computer). I was browsing around Rodbourne Road, near the Bruce Street Bridges Roundabout in Swindon, England, and every time I clicked in what was clearly the correct direction on both the images and the map, it went backwards. I reloaded the page and "went around the block"; the error did not re-occur.

EDIT: actually it's still doing it. Check it out: https://goo.gl/uqyTho (images and pegman are pointing in opposite direction this time, so clearly the cock-up is the imagery)

jakeroot

ErmineNotyours

For the first time ever, this weekend I saw the Google Street View car go by me.  I'll post pictures when/if they appear.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on October 17, 2018, 10:10:02 AM
For the first time ever, this weekend I saw the Google Street View car go by me.  I'll post pictures when/if they appear.

Be warned: it usually takes a couple months for the images to end up online.

LM117

Quote from: jakeroot on October 17, 2018, 12:43:17 PM

If they appear at all. A Streetview car went past my house in 2013 and it still doesn't show. The only Streetview image of my house is from December 2007, long before I moved here.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jakeroot

Quote from: LM117 on October 17, 2018, 04:46:32 PM

If they appear at all. A Streetview car went past my house in 2013 and it still doesn't show. The only Streetview image of my house is from December 2007, long before I moved here.

It must not have been taking any images. That does happen from time to time.

ErmineNotyours

The current imagery for that location is July 2018, which is fairly recent.  The car I saw was on the opposite side of the street from the current view.

Michael

Within the past day, my ClassyGMap workaround was finally "fixed" by Google.  Map tiles are served with the watermark embedded now.  Imagery is still served with the watermark as a DIV, but I'm guessing they just haven't "fixed" that yet.  On my older version of Chrome, the only things that work on Google Maps are panning and zooming with the scroll wheel.  There's no buttons for zooming or Street View, and I can't switch to satellite view.  Links to satellite view only show a blinking satellite view.

For a while, I have been able to set my useragent spoofer extension to spoof Firefox 31, which fixes these issues, but breaks scrolling, closing a search, and the minimap in Street View.  I haven't been able to use the minimap for the past two months or so anyway since a change from Google made the map and satellite buttons so big they covered the entire minimap.  The problem with spoofing Firefox 31 on google.com is that it messes up the formatting of search pages, and it's annoying to switch my useragent every time I want to look at a map.  Since it looks like I won't be able to use ClassyGMap any more, I decided to try putting "google.com/maps" in the domain field of my useragent spoofer.  That didn't work, so I tried "google.com/maps*" (note the asterisk at the end), and that worked.  I wasn't sure if using a full URL in the domain field would work, but thankfully it does!

Mr. Matté

Looks like the Google fix caught up with my go-to site for quick access to GM and GSV: http://mytopo.com/maps

Anyone have any recommendations as to another site that has the simple & quick GM interface and default lite mode on GSV?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.