News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bottlenecks and outdated intersections/interchanges in Denver Metro.

Started by nengleman, April 14, 2014, 02:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: sandwalk on January 19, 2018, 10:57:13 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on December 29, 2017, 07:05:32 PM
The I-70 and E-470 interchange. Still just one direct movement.

That's a fun set-up. It reminds me of the I-71 / US-35 kind-of-interchange in Ohio. https://goo.gl/maps/YSJbaHJ7Zum

Or the I-70/US 63 interchange in Columbia, MO. https://goo.gl/maps/sx2SqzQZytS2

Mark68

I-25 and C-470/E-470 interchange.

Mainline I-25 drops from 5 lanes each direction to 4 at the gore points for the C-470/E-470 exits, then 3 (northbound) at the County Line exit. It gains those lanes back at the merge from the 470s, but the backup northbound during morning rush goes past Lincoln (and the Lincoln on-ramp).

https://goo.gl/maps/ss5UqyDKHc52

Also, during evening rush hour, I-25 between US 85 (Santa Fe) and CO 2 (Colorado Blvd). Even though both these stretches were widened as part of the T-Rex project, and were supposed to be able to handle predicted traffic up to 2030, they...well...aren't. Denver Metro's growth has unfortunately already rendered much of this expansion obsolete.

https://goo.gl/maps/6WL33v5cdBL2
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

mrose

Yep.... 25 sucks as much as it ever did, in spite of everything.

It's better up beyond the 36 split; it merely slows down now instead of stopping. North of 104th though is a godawful construction mess that feels like it's never going to end.... I get on southbound 25 from 120th several times a week and it's just atrocious; plus the mainline pavement there has these giant tire-eating ruts in it. The end of all the express lane nonsense can't come soon enough.

theroadwayone

IIRC the I-25/I-70 interchange was a gigantic clusterf__k at one point in time.

wriddle082

Just flew back into Denver this morning for work (was here 6 months ago), and I have one for your consideration: all of I-270!

Around 11 AM on a Tuesday afternoon, was sluggish going from I-70 up to York Ave.  averaged about 30 MPH.  It was highly annoying.  Six months ago, it was even slower going the other way, and I think it was mid-afternoon.

IMO, this area is highly industrial and needs an extra lane in each direction (not HOV or toll) in each direction just for the sake of safety!

thenetwork

Quote from: wriddle082 on March 06, 2018, 07:47:17 PM
Just flew back into Denver this morning for work (was here 6 months ago), and I have one for your consideration: all of I-270!

Around 11 AM on a Tuesday afternoon, was sluggish going from I-70 up to York Ave.  averaged about 30 MPH.  It was highly annoying.  Six months ago, it was even slower going the other way, and I think it was mid-afternoon.

IMO, this area is highly industrial and needs an extra lane in each direction (not HOV or toll) in each direction just for the sake of safety!

Both all of I-270 and the segment of I-76 from I-270 to I-70.  Once they start doing the I-70 Viaduct replacement work in a couple of years, this "bypass" of said construction zone will be gridlocked...GUARANTEED!!!

will_e_777

Quote from: wriddle082 on March 06, 2018, 07:47:17 PM

we've been saying this since the 1990s, tbh.
Rocky Mountain man.

wriddle082

I noticed yesterday that a lingering bottleneck has been successfully remedied...

Where I-225 south narrows down to two lanes prior to the I-25 split, they have restriped the roadway to create three lanes.  I was surprised to not have to slow down through this area around 4:45 in the afternoon!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.