News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

PHLBOS

Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2018, 03:54:53 PMI haven't seen any documentation, but I can confirm that Kentucky is going back to Clearview. This was confirmed by someone in Frankfort when I asked directly.
I based my KY reference from what you mentioned on a FB thread regarding such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 15, 2018, 08:32:44 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2018, 03:54:53 PMI haven't seen any documentation, but I can confirm that Kentucky is going back to Clearview. This was confirmed by someone in Frankfort when I asked directly.
I based my KY reference from what you mentioned on a FB thread regarding such.

That's what I figured. I knew I had posted it somewhere, but couldn't remember if it was Facebook or here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

Clearview in Sri Lanka?

jakeroot

Quote from: seicer on August 16, 2018, 01:35:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/i1pmWAD.png

Clearview in Sri Lanka?

Wouldn't be the first Asian country to use Clearview. Indonesia and the Philippines both use it.

J N Winkler

Supposedly Israel has standards documents that call for Clearview to be used for Latin text on signs, but all I have ever seen in casual StreetView inspection is a blocky Arial/Helvetica knockoff.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

DJStephens

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 14, 2018, 05:15:32 PM
Currently ADOT's Manual of Approved Signs continue to show FHWA fonts, although mainly with Series D and E instead of E(M).  Recent installs also continue to use FHWA fonts, including the first APL sign in the Phoenix area.

That does seem to be largely correct.  Noticed some recent replacements on the eastern end of the superstition frwy last week, as well as the short frwy section at the florence cutoff - exit 212. 

jakeroot

I thought this was rather funny.

Gray's Harbor County, WA, the first jurisdiction to be denied interim approval for the use of Clearview (way back whenever), was already using Clearview street blades anyway. This is the intersection of two county-maintained roads. The street blades were installed prior to 2014.

Pink Jazz

Here is a memo from ADOT:
https://www.azdot.gov/docs/default-source/local-public-agency/memo_ia-05.pdf?sfvrsn=2

ADOT has confirmed they have no plans to re-adopt Clearview, however, local agencies within the state are allowed to resume its use.  It appears that the City of Chandler has resumed its use at least on its non-signalized blades; not sure on its illuminated blades on its signalized intersections.  Mesa and Gilbert though continue to use FHWA based on some recent installations I have seen.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 26, 2018, 03:09:26 PM
https://www.azdot.gov/docs/default-source/local-public-agency/memo_ia-05.pdf?sfvrsn=2

ADOT has confirmed they have no plans to re-adopt Clearview, however, local agencies within the state are allowed to resume its use.  It appears that the City of Chandler has resumed its use at least on its non-signalized blades; not sure on its illuminated blades on its signalized intersections.  Mesa and Gilbert though continue to use FHWA based on some recent installations I have seen.

"Sings design"  :-D
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

jakeroot

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 26, 2018, 11:16:27 PM

Spelling errors by large agencies on official documents seem to be becoming quite common. WSDOT has dropped the ball at least a few times.

SD Mapman

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 06, 2018, 10:22:54 AM
BTW, the line for Kansas is "Yes, KTA."  However, KTA appears to be using Clearview only for in-house installs of large panel guide signs.  KTA contract signing work has never stopped using Series E Modified, to my knowledge.  Meanwhile, a few local agencies have been using Clearview and it has therefore made its way into KDOT plans sets for project elements that are matched to local agency standards.  This information mostly pre-dates rescinding and then reinstatement of the Clearview interim approval, so I don't have up-to-date information on how Kansas local agencies are reacting.
The city of Atchison still uses it on street signs as far as I know.

Quote from: OracleUsr on August 06, 2018, 05:32:20 AM
Speaking of, where does South Dakota use Clearview?  Every new sign I've seen in the state uses Em.
4 or 5 blocks of East North Street in Rapid City. I haven't seen it anywhere else. There is an IowaDOT sign right near the Big Sewer on I-29, but I don't think we put that up.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Brandon

Quote from: jakeroot on September 27, 2018, 12:08:07 AM

Spelling errors by large agencies on official documents seem to be becoming quite common. WSDOT has dropped the ball at least a few times.

That's what happens when they rely solely on spell check.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PHLBOS

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 26, 2018, 11:16:27 PM"Sings design"  :-D
To be fair, I have inadvertently typed sing when I meant to type sign from time to time.  Fortunately, I caught my error & corrected it.

True story: one time, my boss handed me a review the I needed to sign off on.  He placed a Post-It note on top that had a hand-written "Please sing this" (instead of "Please sign this") on it.  Needless to say, I got a good chuckle on it; and No, I did not sign sing to my boss per the Post-It note.

Quote from: Britney SpearsOops, I did it again.
Only in reverse :colorful:

Note: I'm not a fan of Britney Spears but that phrase from one of her songs seemed fitting.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

DaBigE

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 27, 2018, 09:57:54 AM
To be fair, I have inadvertently typed sing when I meant to type sign from time to time.  Fortunately, I caught my error & corrected it.

True story: one time, my boss handed me a review the I needed to sign off on.  He placed a Post-It note on top that had a hand-written "Please sing this" (instead of "Please sign this") on it.  Needless to say, I got a good chuckle on it; and No, I did not sign to my boss per the Post-It note.

I think because of auto-correct and my boss, I've gone numb to typos like that. Ironically, said boss has been on a QA/QC kick lately, yet he's one of the biggest quality offenders, especially when it comes to documents that get sent out to clients.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jakeroot

True story: one time, my boss handed me a review the I needed to sign off on.  He placed a Post-It note on top that had a hand-written "Please sing this" (instead of "Please sign this") on it.  Needless to say, I got a good chuckle on it; and No, I did not sign to my boss per the Post-It note.

Did you mean to write "I did not sing to my boss..."? Perhaps I misunderstood something.

vdeane

Well, since he says he didn't sign it, he must have sang it!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on September 27, 2018, 11:54:13 AM

Did you mean to write "I did not sing to my boss..."? Perhaps I misunderstood something.

I was going to say that.  But then I saw the "Last edit" tag and figured he'd done it on purpose.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

^^See edit to my previous post.  My typo was not intentional but would've been a good deliberate prank.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Android

If I was going to sing a song about Clearview, it would unlistenable, mostly puking and swearing. 
-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

Scott5114

I, meanwhile, would have trapped my boss in her office and forced her to listen to me sing the document in its entirety, because I'm that guy.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 27, 2018, 07:59:21 PM
I, meanwhile, would have trapped my boss in her office and forced her to listen to me sing the document in its entirety, because I'm that guy.
Acapella or choral?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Scott5114

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 02, 2018, 11:43:57 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 27, 2018, 07:59:21 PM
Acapella or choral?

Depends if I could rope some coworkers into it... I can think of a few that might go along with it!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

epzik8

I'm in Utah right now and have seen a total of zero Clearview signs.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

roadman

Reminds me of the time many years ago when I was looking for a specific autographed photo of Carole King on eBay.  One of the search results read:  Carole King Photo - Signing Legend.

Mentioned this to my best friend, and he immediately quipped:  Well, maybe she's multi-talented.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

Quote from: epzik8 on October 11, 2018, 02:52:59 PM
I'm in Utah right now and have seen a total of zero Clearview signs.

Only used on the Legacy Parkway (Hwy 67), as far as I know.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.