News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Positive Things in Apple Maps

Started by TEG24601, March 22, 2015, 05:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEG24601

State Shields on State Routes/Roads/Highways, instead of those damn circles/ovals.

Routes don't seem to reappear at random with there is a database upgrade like they do on Google, I'm looking at you SR 603.

I'm curious if anyone has anything else they find that is better in Apple Maps than Google Maps?
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

empirestate

I think the 3D quality is better in Apple's Flyover, but Google has more areas covered.

renegade

Apple Maps could add exit numbers to its freeways and I'd be happy.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

briantroutman

I think Apple's method of showing traffic–red or yellow dotted lines over trouble spots, but nothing on free-flowing roads–is preferable to Google's method of painting everything else green (and covering over labels in the process).

Also, if you're an iPhone user, there's something to be said for the integration of handing Siri commands directly off to Maps.

rschen7754

It looks pretty and is a bit more responsive.

pianocello

I particularly like Apple's rendering of curves over Google.

When I'm looking at traffic data when I'm driving sitting in the passenger seat, I prefer Google over Apple. My phone has a tendency to have slow data, so when I look at traffic on Apple maps I often mistake seeing nothing on free-flowing roads as missing information.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

adventurernumber1

Apple Maps is a default app on my iPhone (though I also have a supplementary Google Maps app - most of the time that is - I currently don't thanks to my gosh awful stupid phone storage). The thing I'd say I like very most about Apple Maps is that they use each state's state road shield on all the state highways. That's very cool IMO.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

triplemultiplex

You get to see more of the town you happen to be in the way Apple Maps locates businesses in the wrong place. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ilvny

Like some of you have already said, I like that Apple Maps uses the state route shields.  Google Maps should do the same.

PITCHS

This thread is 2.5 years old and the only thing Apple does better is use state shields? That's not saying much...I'm trying desperately to find a viable alternative for Google Maps due to their incompetence with the new version and it's sad/pathetic that they are so far ahead of the competition that this is the best aspect of Apple's version. Personally, I'd be happy with any (free) service with more frequently updated satellite images.

As an aside, I've repeatedly pointed out to Google over the past year or two that the satellite images of Pittsburgh were more up to date in the classic version than in the new one. It seems their solution to this has been to update both versions to the older imagery within the past week or so. That more up-to-date imagery is presumably only accessible through Google Earth now, not sure why they decided to stick with the older imagery but I've since stopped asking questions of their motives, simply looking for something that can compare or at least has the promise to compare sometime in the not so distant future but so far I am drawing a blank.

Anyone pay for the high quality images directly from the company? Is it recommended if you're half the nerd I am when it comes to poring over these images looking for all the changes?

empirestate

Quote from: PITCHS on June 03, 2015, 06:08:06 PM
This thread is 2.5 years old and the only thing Apple does better is use state shields?

I was just getting ready to respond with one possible answer, but then scrolled up and realized I already had. ;-)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.