News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Most States in One Day by Road

Started by leroys73, May 31, 2015, 12:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I think that the better question would be how many miles in a day (which was already covered) we have gone as states like California, Texas, and Montana do not stand a chance.  Crossing them states equals the same amount of mileage covered among many states along I-95 on the east coast.

Look at Texas with I-10.  Over one third of it is in Texas, so you have the TX-LA State Line closer to Jacksonville, FL than the NM-TX State Line on the other side of where I-10 runs in the Lone Star State.  So to travel I-10 in LA, MS, AL, and FL may be through 4 different states and could be done in a day, traveling the whole I-10 freeway in Texas is only one state which takes about 12 hours, but you traveled farther in mileage even though you remained intrastate.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

corco

I live in a bad part of the country for this.

If Canadian provinces count, I've done WI-IL-IN-MI-ON-QC-VT-NH in a day.

Beyond that, I've done 6 a few times:
OH-IN-IL-MO-KS-CO
AL-MS-KY-TN-IL-MO
TN-KY-IL-MO-IA-NE

slorydn1

As a passenger/teenager back up driver for dad: 6 (IL-IN-OH-PA-NJ-NY) Several times in the '80's...

As THE driver: 5 (NC-VA-WV-KY-TN) A "Just Because" road trip my wife and I did in late January this year.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

TheHighwayMan3561

Did WI-IL-IN-OH-PA-NY in a single drive session once, but I wasn't behind the wheel.

Traffic not withstanding I think I-95 would be the champ easily. You can start in Kittery, ME and be in North Carolina in 11-12 hours through ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, and NC.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

slorydn1

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 06, 2015, 02:36:43 AM
Did WI-IL-IN-OH-PA-NY in a single drive session once, but I wasn't behind the wheel.

Traffic not withstanding I think I-95 would be the champ easily. You can start in Kittery, ME and be in North Carolina in 11-12 hours through ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, and NC.

I have thought about doing that (although in reverse, LOL). Even my wife is on board. The issue I see about doing it in just one day, though, is not distance, its the horrendous traffic between DC and points north. The last time I went north to visit family I was lucky to have averaged 45 mph for the whole trip. I am not sure I could be in ME in 12 hours from here.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

hotdogPi

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 06, 2015, 06:42:05 PM

I have thought about doing that (although in reverse, LOL). Even my wife is on board. The issue I see about doing it in just one day, though, is not distance, its the horrendous traffic between DC and points north. The last time I went north to visit family I was lucky to have averaged 45 mph for the whole trip. I am not sure I could be in ME in 12 hours from here.

Do it in the middle of the night?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

davewiecking

If you're staying on 95, you'd have a tough time not including DE and DC.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on June 06, 2015, 06:47:50 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on June 06, 2015, 06:42:05 PM

Do it in the middle of the night?

The trick is getting around NYC. Assuming no construction, anywhere from about midnight to noon going south and noon to 4am going north will get you thru without much of an issue. Relatively speaking, of course.

froggie

Although it doesn't always happen, I have had success in the past at traversing the Cross-Bronx at/near the posted speed mid-day on Sunday.

Pete from Boston

This was my longest, minus the extra hour and a half needed to include Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island.  I left Friday night after rush hour, stopped for a couple of hours in New Jersey, and drove through the night.  No real congestion until I hit horrendous vacationer traffic south of DC the next day.

ekt8750

Did 9 in one day and drove about 65% of it. PA, DE, MD, VA, WV, TN, AL, MS, LA. By far my fav road trip.

The Nature Boy

As bad as traffic is north of DC, people really underestimate the amount of traffic south of DC. You have all of the vacationer traffic stuffed into two lanes in Virginia and the Carolinas. It can be a nightmare.

And you are not making it to Kittery in 11-12 hours from the NC border unless you have amazing luck and miss all the traffic. Passing through DC, Baltimore, Philly, New York and Boston's metro areas, you're going to hit some traffic at some point.

froggie

QuoteAs bad as traffic is north of DC, people really underestimate the amount of traffic south of DC. You have all of the vacationer traffic stuffed into two lanes in Virginia and the Carolinas. It can be a nightmare.

If your definition of "nightmare" is that you're stuck going 65 because of a slow truck or bus passing a slower truck or bus, then yes...

A lot of people on this forum slam 95 through southern Virginia and the Carolinas, but from an operational and traffic flow standpoint, 95 really is not that bad.  There are certainly far worse roadways out there...

The Nature Boy

Quote from: froggie on June 08, 2015, 09:34:01 AM
QuoteAs bad as traffic is north of DC, people really underestimate the amount of traffic south of DC. You have all of the vacationer traffic stuffed into two lanes in Virginia and the Carolinas. It can be a nightmare.

If your definition of "nightmare" is that you're stuck going 65 because of a slow truck or bus passing a slower truck or bus, then yes...

A lot of people on this forum slam 95 through southern Virginia and the Carolinas, but from an operational and traffic flow standpoint, 95 really is not that bad.  There are certainly far worse roadways out there...

I've seen standstill traffic on I-95 in some rural areas of North Carolina. All it really takes is a small accident to create a bottleneck. Is it the worst in the country? Of course not, but at times, it does reach over capacity.

froggie

If it takes a crash to create the bottleneck, then it's not over capacity.

North of Richmond (and especially Fredericksburg north) reaches over capacity...where additional flow is enough to create unstable  and breakdown conditions.  But in the Carolinas, that doesn't happen.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: froggie on June 08, 2015, 10:11:47 AM

North of Richmond (and especially Fredericksburg north) reaches over capacity...where additional flow is enough to create unstable  and breakdown conditions.  But in the Carolinas, that doesn't happen.

I don't think anyone argues that you're going to have standstill traffic on a regular basis in rural NC/SC/VA. It's just that the current arrangement is prone to overcrowding and anything going wrong causes a bottleneck. It works fine but it's not clear sailing and open road like one might expect in rural areas. You might possibly run into some delays.

And the immediate DC area is a nightmare traffic wise.

ekt8750

Quote from: The Nature Boy on June 08, 2015, 09:28:04 AM
As bad as traffic is north of DC, people really underestimate the amount of traffic south of DC. You have all of the vacationer traffic stuffed into two lanes in Virginia and the Carolinas. It can be a nightmare.

And you are not making it to Kittery in 11-12 hours from the NC border unless you have amazing luck and miss all the traffic. Passing through DC, Baltimore, Philly, New York and Boston's metro areas, you're going to hit some traffic at some point.

I sat in three different backups on 95 between the Richmond and DC beltways two Saturdays ago and they were all volume related. I was pretty surprised to say the least.

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on June 08, 2015, 10:11:47 AM

My 35+ years of experience with I-95 in the Carolinas/Virginia is pretty much this...

Holiday weekends/periods can get crowded enough that there can be pockets of relative slow traffic (e.g. can't run wide open if that is your style) around clusters of trucks or RVs but true jams had a wreck or other mitigating factor such as bad weather.

95 in SC causes backups in Georgia where it drops from 3 lanes to 2 and that could indicate 6-laning I-95 in SC at least to Exit 33 (US 17 split towards Charleston) can be justified.

North of Richmond 95 can get slow sometimes from volume and frequently does this above Exit 126 Massaponax.

Mike

jeffandnicole

In my trips down 95 South, I noticed that you really don't hit "rural" 95 until you're past Richmond.  There's a LOT of traffic between Richmond and points north.

I try to limit my driving on holiday weekends because of the increase in traffic...and especially because these people don't know where they're going.  Doesn't matter if they're in Virginia and their destination is in Georgia. They're going to drive in such a manner that they hope not to miss their exit.  Same thing on my work commute home - if it's near a holiday or significant event (graduations, like around this time of year), I know I'm going to have to deal with more out-of-staters.

On my NJ Turnpike toll booth days, I remember one person coming thru my booth and complaining why there was so much traffic.  I asked what he was doing...He said he's on vacation.  My response: That's what everyone else is doing also.

It just goes to show that people think that everyone else is the problem.

NWI_Irish96

Six, several times in several different configurations.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

noelbotevera

If you are clever, what you can do is drive to Scranton, take I-84 for a free bridge (Newburgh-Beacon), enter CT, then take CT 8 south or US 7 south to I-95 in Danbury and Waterbury to Bridgeport or Norwalk. If you favor skipping Providence and points south up to Philadelphia, take I-84 all the way to I-90 in MA, and take I-90 east to I-95.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

DeaconG

Including DC, 9: PA-DE-MD-DC-VA-NC-SC-GA-FL.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

cl94

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 08, 2015, 02:30:45 PM
If you are clever, what you can do is drive to Scranton, take I-84 for a free bridge (Newburgh-Beacon), enter CT, then take CT 8 south or US 7 south to I-95 in Danbury and Waterbury to Bridgeport or Norwalk. If you favor skipping Providence and points south up to Philadelphia, take I-84 all the way to I-90 in MA, and take I-90 east to I-95.

Bridge is tolled EB. All Hudson River bridges south of Albany have an EB toll ranging from $1.25 to whatever crazy rate the Port Authority now charges. Have to go up to US 9/20 or I-90 for a free crossing.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

iBallasticwolf2

Whenever I go to Florida from Kentucky for the summer I always manage to go through KY, TN, GA, and FL (A total of 5 states). The drive is actually almost 950 miles as the drive starts in northern Kentucky.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Sykotyk

Well, nobody brought up this guy:

https://www.barrystiefel.com/21_states_in_one_day/21_states_in_one_day.htm

21. Though there's two caveats. He went from ET to CT, which added an hour. And he did it during the switch for DST, which added another hour. In a 24-hour span, he hit 19 states.

ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, WV, VA, TN, NC, GA, AL, IL, MO... and then AR and MS in the 2 additional hours during that calendar day.

Most I've ever driven in one day was a little over 1,000 (1,023 to be exact). Though that was out west (AR, MO, KS, OK, TX, NM). I have run through the Northeast from Maine into WV (ME, NH, MA, CT, NY, NJ, PA, MD, WV). I'm sure sometime in my life I did a longer trip that might have hit more northeast states at once. It was never a goal of mine. Just as a lot of my trips when I was younger were never about hitting counties, which irritates me because I know I came close to many that are still blank on my atlas and have to go out of my way to hit today...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.