News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Widest toll plazas

Started by tribar, July 16, 2015, 07:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribar

What's the widest toll booth you have ever seen?

For me, it is the tollbooth on the Tri State Tollway south of the Hillside Strangler 

Zeffy

Quote from: tribar on July 16, 2015, 07:09:22 PM
What's the widest toll booth you have ever seen?

I'm pretty sure I counted 15 lanes on some of the Garden State Parkway's toll plazas. I don't remember where it was exactly, but I believe it was around East Orange.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

sandwalk

Quote from: Zeffy on July 16, 2015, 07:10:10 PM
I'm pretty sure I counted 15 lanes on some of the Garden State Parkway's toll plazas. I don't remember where it was exactly, but I believe it was around East Orange.

The widest ones I've ever seen was on the Indiana Toll Road, just east of of the Illinois border.  I believe that one has 16 booth lanes. Also on the ITR, where I-80 joins I-90 outside of Chicago, there are 15 toll booth lanes.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the eastern end of the Chicago Skyway has about 20 booth lanes (though the east and west bound areas aren't all connected).

Pete from Boston

New Jersey Turnpike Exit 11 (Garden State Parkway) has 26 lanes total.

iBallasticwolf2

I think the widest toll plaza in the world is in India and has 32 toll booth lanes.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

tribar

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 16, 2015, 07:36:21 PM
I think the widest toll plaza in the world is in India and has 32 toll booth lanes.

Do you know where it is?

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: tribar on July 16, 2015, 09:58:33 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 16, 2015, 07:36:21 PM

Do you know where it is?

Not really but a quick google search made me find the wikipedia page on "Delhi Gurgaon Expressway". Here is the picture for it- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delhi_Gurgaon_Expressway#/media/File:Delhi_Gurgaon_Toll_Gate.jpg

I proceeded to find out it is the second largest Toll plaza in Asia so that means there is one larger than 32 lanes.  :wow:
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

rbt48

I would have guessed the Bellevue Bridge Highway 370 toll booth for the Missouri River crossing from Bellevue NE into Iowa.

MikeTheActuary

There is a reference to the Dehli Guragon Expressway toll plaza being expanded to 59 lanes

Pink Jazz

I know the widest in Puerto Rico is the Fort Buchanan toll plaza on PR-22.

roadman65

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 16, 2015, 07:22:42 PM
New Jersey Turnpike Exit 11 (Garden State Parkway) has 26 lanes total.
That plaza I think is wider than the mainline plazas at 18W and 1.  Rare case of when a ramp toll has more lanes than a mainline does.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.