The animals that are most likely to kill you this summer

Started by cpzilliacus, June 21, 2015, 01:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

[Don't be put-off or misled by the title, this is very much relevant to our topic here.]

Washington Post: Chart: The animals that are most likely to kill you this summer

QuoteAre you afraid of sharks? You should be, what with their insatiable appetite and 15 rows of serrated teeth and the way they lurk in that murky area just offshore where you can't see the bottom and you can't move quickly and, oh God, did something just brush up against my leg?

QuoteWhenever there's a shark attack in the news -- or two of them, for that matter -- somebody inevitably tries to console us with big numbers. "Well, heart disease kills 611,000 people a year," they tell us. "Stop fretting about sharks and maybe worry about your Dorito habit instead."

QuoteFair enough. But this is the wrong comparison to make. If we want to properly contextualize shark attacks, we need to compare sharks to their peers -- bears and gators and the myriad other fanged barbed and venomous creatures that could sting us or bite us or otherwise ruin our day.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Scott5114

Looks like humans are the animal most likely to kill you.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jeffandnicole

Do sharks like Doritos? Maybe the sharks are going after Dorito filled humans?

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 21, 2015, 02:41:07 PM
Do sharks like Doritos? Maybe the sharks are going after Dorito filled humans?

MLG gamers are filled with Doritos.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

english si

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 21, 2015, 02:12:14 PMLooks like humans are the animal most likely to kill you.
From the article it looks like cars are most likely to kill you ;)

SectorZ

Since I am a cyclist, the possibility of a chipmunk, rabbit, or squirrel wedging its way into my front wheel could be the thing that ends me.

english si

Quote from: Cjzani on June 21, 2015, 04:31:08 PMchipmunk ... squirrel
Less lethal than touching either of these disease carriers.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Cjzani on June 21, 2015, 04:31:08 PM
Since I am a cyclist, the possibility of a chipmunk, rabbit, or squirrel wedging its way into my front wheel could be the thing that ends me.

Speaking for those with bird feeders, gardens, animals in walls, etc, we plead with you: Take one for the team!!

GaryV

Mosquitoes (more specifically, the disease the mosquito is carrying).

tidecat

Every year, more Americans die from being tangled in their own bedsheets than from all exotic animals.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

triplemultiplex

White-tailed deer.
For 2/3rds of the country at least.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Zmapper

Quote from: english si on June 21, 2015, 04:04:59 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 21, 2015, 02:12:14 PMLooks like humans are the animal most likely to kill you.
Do spoons make people fat?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zmapper on June 23, 2015, 05:38:26 AM
Quote from: english si on June 21, 2015, 04:04:59 PM
Do spoons make people fat?

Used improperly, yes.

english si

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.