News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Geographical changes in response to SC church shooting?

Started by hbelkins, June 26, 2015, 01:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: mgk920 on June 27, 2015, 10:44:24 PM
So then what would you call Wrigley Field?

Mike

The Stadium Above Which a World Series Championship Flag Will Never Again Be Hoisted.

:-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hobsini2

Quote from: bandit957 on June 27, 2015, 08:29:40 PM
Quote from: sipes23 on June 26, 2015, 03:37:54 PMThe split between Comiskey Park and U.S. Cellular Field is somewhere between.

It's an insult to the sport to refer to a sports venue by its corporate name. Riverfront Stadium is gone now, but never ever EVER refer to it as "Cinergy Field."

Ever.

It would be different for a building that actually houses some part of a corporation.
Or if the ballpark is named after the family business. Wrigley, Miller, Coors and Busch all come to mind. And yes I still call them Comiskey and Jacobs.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

bandit957

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 28, 2015, 12:33:12 PM
Or if the ballpark is named after the family business. Wrigley, Miller, Coors and Busch all come to mind. And yes I still call them Comiskey and Jacobs.

I think the old Busch Stadium was named after the person. I think the new "Busch Stadium" is named after the company.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hobsini2

Either way. Lol I an perfectly fine with last names on ballparks and stadiums vs corporate bullshit names like PNC Park.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

rarnold

Busch Stadium II was actually called Busch Memorial Stadium until 1981, when it was shortened to Busch Stadium.
Busch Stadium I was what Sportsman's Park was called after 1953.

empirestate

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 28, 2015, 01:33:35 PM
Either way. Lol I an perfectly fine with last names on ballparks and stadiums vs corporate bullshit names like PNC Park.

For me, even corporate names are fine if the company has tangible, venerable and beneficial ties to the community. Changing names every few years is a top sign that your corporation doesn't meet this description...

iPhone

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on June 26, 2015, 01:37:12 PM
This is not meant to be a political thread, but there is relevance to this community.

As a byproduct of the church shooting in South Carolina and the furor over the Stars & Bars, there's discussion about the future of other commemorations of the Confederacy. For instance, moving the Jefferson Davis statue in the rotunda of Kentucky's capitol is under consideration.

Will there be any fallout from this controversy regarding road names and other geographical/geopolitical matters?

For instance, I live in Lee County, Ky., which is named after Robert E. Lee. Should the county be renamed?

What about Lee Highway, especially in Virginia where US 11 is named Lee Highway for most of its distance? Will there be a demand to change the name of the road named after the Confederate general?

I know of at least three high schools in Kentucky whose teams are nicknamed "Rebels." In the past there has been some outcry for some of those schools to change their mascots (most notably by a now-dead Jesse Jackson wannabe from the Louisville/Shelbyville area). I expect that effort to start back up.

Southside Rebels (Ft Smith) are wanting to change, much to the consternation of the local rednecks.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ajlynch91

Quote from: bandit957 on June 27, 2015, 08:29:40 PM
Quote from: sipes23 on June 26, 2015, 03:37:54 PMThe split between Comiskey Park and U.S. Cellular Field is somewhere between.

It's an insult to the sport to refer to a sports venue by its corporate name. Riverfront Stadium is gone now, but never ever EVER refer to it as "Cinergy Field."

Ever.

I'm just glad that, as of yet, no major road to my knowledge is named by a corporate sponsor. I'd vomit if I saw some Main St in Anytown to be renamed Google Drive or have the Stevenson renamed the Starbucks Freeway...

empirestate

Now that it occurs to me, the street I live on had its name changed at some point from Lee to Grant.

iPhone

Scott5114

I doubt that we will see many changes. Most of the places that  have this kind of name aren't places that really care about the message the names send.

Although they probably should, in my opinion. Having toponyms  from Confederate leaders in active use makes outsiders connect the area with Confederate values, even if the present-day residents don't actually agree with them so much. You might say that's ignorant, but I wouldn't locate my business in Jefferson Davis County because I don't want to be mistaken for supporting racist values.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rick Powell

There are the beginnings of a debate in IL about changing the name of Calhoun County, a delightfully quirky county that is separated from the rest of the state by the Illinois River and whose main 3 points of access are two state operated ferry boats and one of the two remaining lift bridges on the state highway system.

Pete from Boston

There have been grumblings now about the Massachusetts seal, flag, and motto in the wake of the Confederate flag debate, which makes me wonder if the kids in Amherst are again demanding the town shed the name of a British officer who is said to have knowingly given smallpox-infected blankets to eliminate the local natives.

ET21

This would be a very interesting topic for social geographers to analyze over the next couple of months
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

thephantomcheese

I'm surprised no one has wanted to take down the Dixie Highway plaque in Asheville, NC, especially since it has Robert E. Lee's picture on it. Then again, it's literally in the shadow of the Zebulon Vance Monument, a 50- foot tall obelisk honoring North Carolina's Civil War-era governor who was from Asheville.

TheHighwayMan3561

Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis is probably the city's most famous and well-known lake (if you're a football fan, I can guarantee you've seen it during Vikings games when networks shoot commercial bump footage across the lake toward the skyline). There have been pushes to rename it before and not surprisingly another one has come up in the last couple weeks, but they never go anywhere.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

sandiaman

We are going down a slippery slope  when  we  start sugar coating history  to fit the passing mores  of the decade.  Thanks to Ben Affleck and his  long ago ancestors  who were slave owners,  we no longer have a great show about ancestry on PBS.  History is history, good or bad, you can't change it or make it disappear.

tidecat

Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

Scott5114

Quote from: sandiaman on July 03, 2015, 02:02:14 PM
We are going down a slippery slope  when  we  start sugar coating history  to fit the passing mores  of the decade.  Thanks to Ben Affleck and his  long ago ancestors  who were slave owners,  we no longer have a great show about ancestry on PBS.  History is history, good or bad, you can't change it or make it disappear.
History's still there in the books if you want it. That doesn't mean we have to keep names honoring people we no longer see as honorable any more.

Same thing for the $20 bill discussion going on in off-topic. Jackson is a part of US history, yes, and at the time he was placed on the $20 bill he was considered worth honoring. But the US is not the same country it was in 1928, and now we find some of his actions to be less than honorable, so some people want to have him replaced with someone who better fits what 2015 America stands for. That's not sugarcoating history, that's growing and evolving.

Pete from Boston

mgk920

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 05, 2015, 08:23:51 PM
History's still there in the books if you want it. That doesn't mean we have to keep names honoring people we no longer see as honorable any more.

Same thing for the $20 bill discussion going on in off-topic. Jackson is a part of US history, yes, and at the time he was placed on the $20 bill he was considered worth honoring. But the US is not the same country it was in 1928, and now we find some of his actions to be less than honorable, so some people want to have him replaced with someone who better fits what 2015 America stands for. That's not sugarcoating history, that's growing and evolving.

FWIAO, Jackson was used because he was a hero of the War of 1812.

Mike

noelbotevera

I was born and raised in Robeson County, North Carolina. [url]http://ncvisitorcenter.com/Col.html/url] <------------- That article right there could rename the county I was born in.

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Rothman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 30, 2015, 05:47:49 PM
There have been grumblings now about the Massachusetts seal, flag, and motto in the wake of the Confederate flag debate, which makes me wonder if the kids in Amherst are again demanding the town shed the name of a British officer who is said to have knowingly given smallpox-infected blankets to eliminate the local natives.

As a former "kid in Amherst," I have to say that I'm actually saddened that Amherst has been steadily losing its liberal edge.  It's not half as hippie as it used to be when I lived there.

I don't think they ever got around to re-naming "Squaw Peak" north of Pittsfield.  That was another controversial place name.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 03, 2015, 01:43:57 PM
Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis is probably the city's most famous and well-known lake (if you're a football fan, I can guarantee you've seen it during Vikings games when networks shoot commercial bump footage across the lake toward the skyline). There have been pushes to rename it before and not surprisingly another one has come up in the last couple weeks, but they never go anywhere.

Assuming it was named in honor of John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, who was U.S. Vice President and died 11 years before the Civil War.   :banghead:

Scott5114

Quote from: mgk920 on July 05, 2015, 10:44:41 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 05, 2015, 08:23:51 PM

FWIAO, Jackson was used because he was a hero of the War of 1812.

Mike
And that's fine. Nobody says that Jackson was all bad, but in 1928 we had a much less negative view of his impact on the Native Americans than we do today. Back then, we treated the Native Americans like they were barely human. Now they have a real seat at the table in American society, and so we no longer see Jackson the same way. We've grown to see him differently than we did.

And I think the same thing may happen with the Confederacy, its flag, and its leaders.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.