News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest unsigned highway

Started by SD Mapman, June 30, 2015, 03:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD Mapman

So what's the longest unsigned highway? For SD, SD 248 is 118.7 miles long. Anyone wanna top that?
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

jeffandnicole

If we're talking route numbers, NJ's Garden State Parkway is 172 miles long and unsigned its entire length.

Mapmikey

unsigned VA 48 in Virginia is 324 miles long (Blue Ridge Pkwy and Skyline Dr).

Mike

Thing 342

GA-401 is 355 miles long (unsigned number for I-75)
I-A1 is 408 miles long (follows AK-1 and AK-2 from Anchorage to the Canadian border)

NE2

Probably some Asian Highway route.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bickendan

Quote from: NE2 on July 01, 2015, 11:46:16 PM
Minor detail...

I'd suspect OR 372, but I'd need to go to Bend to see if it's signed.

CNGL-Leudimin

Not AH-1, since I know it is signed in Thailand and South Korea...

I'm thinking of US 121. Not only is not signed, it's not even built!
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

dgolub

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 30, 2015, 03:37:10 PM
If we're talking route numbers, NJ's Garden State Parkway is 172 miles long and unsigned its entire length.

Yeah, that one's probably pretty hard to beat.  Coming in behind it is the Taconic Parkway in New York, which is 104.31 miles long.

hotdogPi

What about the low 400s in Georgia? They are only signed as their other route.

401 has already been mentioned, but some of the others probably beat the Garden State Parkway and SD 248.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Zeffy

I think that the best answer for this would be a highway that is fully unsigned - so a hidden number should be disqualified. What that answer may be, however, I do not know.  :sombrero:
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

US 41

Quote from: dgolub on July 02, 2015, 08:53:44 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 30, 2015, 03:37:10 PM

Yeah, that one's probably pretty hard to beat.  Coming in behind it is the Taconic Parkway in New York, which is 104.31 miles long.

Alabama State Road 1 is unsigned its whole length. It's concurrent with US 431 the whole length, but it also is concurrent with US 231 south of Dothan. AL 1 is around 366 miles long.

Hidden numbers on a signed route shouldn't be disqualified IMO. They are still unsigned. If they are disqualified then FL 91 (Florida Turnpike) is 265 miles long and is never signed either.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

empirestate

If we consider the NY parkways to be signed "routes", then the winner here is reference route 952Q at about 14 miles.

iPhone

bing101

CA-275 in Sacramento from US-50/I-305/Biz80 ramp in West Sacramento to Capitol Mall/ State Capital building in Downtown Sacramento.
CA-51 is Co-signed as eastern half of Business 80 in Sacramento.

Westside Parkway in Bakersfield is still being debated if it should be CA-58.

La Cinega blvd in Los Angeles has been debated among roadgeeks if its hidden Ca-170 or City of Los Angeles property.

Great highway but its a city owned road in San Francisco
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Highway

doorknob60

Quote from: Bickendan on July 02, 2015, 12:23:50 AM
Minor detail...

I'd suspect OR 372, but I'd need to go to Bend to see if it's signed.

It's not. It's just called "Cascade Lakes Hwy" or simply "Century Dr." by most signs and people. And this is referring to the highway all the way down to Crescent Cutoff Rd. near OR-58. The part in the state highway system ends at Mt. Bachelor.

Mapmikey

The Georgia 4xx routes were once signed on the milepost markers in simple small text underneath the mile number, similar to what Tennessee does on their us routes that have markers that show the hidden state route.

Fl Tpk is different from the GA 4xx because it is not signed with another number, so I would count that one...

Mike

english si

Quote from: NE2 on July 01, 2015, 11:46:16 PMProbably some Asian Highway route.
Which countries sign them?

Turkey and North Korea definitely don't. Russia doesn't seem to. Thailand, Azerbaijan, South Korea and Japan definitely do.

vtk

Corridor... D, i think? The one that runs east—west across southern Ohio.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hbelkins

Quote from: vtk on July 02, 2015, 10:21:46 PM
Corridor... D, i think? The one that runs east—west across southern Ohio.

It's fully signed. Not as Corridor D, but by its route numbers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thenetwork

Quote from: Zeffy on July 02, 2015, 09:47:55 AM
I think that the best answer for this would be a highway that is fully unsigned - so a hidden number should be disqualified. What that answer may be, however, I do not know.  :sombrero:

I was going to say Florida's Turnpike main line at nearly 260+ miles.  But I believe there is a hidden route for it so it may be DQed as well. :-(

national highway 1

US 85 is concurrent with I-25 in New Mexico for a total for 460mi.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Zeffy on July 02, 2015, 09:47:55 AM

I'd rather search for a paved road with no signs at all :sombrero:. Now that would be an unsigned highway. :bigass:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.