News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Guardrails at retention ponds

Started by realjd, July 20, 2015, 08:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

After the recent death of a UCF student who went off of the freeway into a retention pond and drowned, there's talk of passing new legislation requiring any roadside retention pond be protected by guardrails. Personally I think it's a good idea. Do any other states have similar policies?

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2015/7/19/new_legislation_prop.html

jeffandnicole

Isn't the point of guardrails (actually, guiderails) supposed to protect motorists from such hazards?  It sounds more like a policy decision, not something that needs to be legislated.  Just thinking of Jersey here, I can't recall too many examples where any waterway doesn't have some sort of protection around it - those closer to the road will have guiderails near it; those further away tend to have fencing around it to keep people out.

QuoteClarissa does face critics though. Some worry the proposal could cost taxpayers, but Clarissa said the money would come from federal grants, toll money and sponsors.

In other words, it will still cost taxpayers.   And how many businesses are going to sponsor a guardrail? 

oscar

How often are retention ponds deep enough for errant drivers to drown? Usually, guardrails aren't needed to guard shallow waters (unless there's a steep slope or other reason for a rail), since there's not a huge downside to letting the vehicle go off the road. The guardrail guarantees significant vehicle damage, while without a rail, maybe the driver would've recovered in time to avoid immersion or other serious damage.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

realjd

Quote from: oscar on July 20, 2015, 09:04:58 AM
How often are retention ponds deep enough for errant drivers to drown? Usually, guardrails aren't needed to guard shallow waters (unless there's a steep slope or other reason for a rail), since there's not a huge downside to letting the vehicle go off the road. The guardrail guarantees significant vehicle damage, while without a rail, maybe the driver would've recovered in time to avoid immersion or other serious damage.

Water depth depends on the time of year but in the summer they can often be 15-20 feet deep, and they often have fairly steep sides.

jwolfer

Quote from: realjd on July 20, 2015, 08:10:55 AM
After the recent death of a UCF student who went off of the freeway into a retention pond and drowned, there's talk of passing new legislation requiring any roadside retention pond be protected by guardrails. Personally I think it's a good idea. Do any other states have similar policies?

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2015/7/19/new_legislation_prop.html
I don't know this case specifics but all the more reason for everyone learning how to swim.  And to think about emergency scenarios, just in case. Although she may have lost consciousness.

She may have died because of panicing and not thinking straight.

It doesn't seem to be the case here, but many time the retention pond cars are drunk. My nephews friend crashed his truck into a retention pond after drinking a bunch. He was missing for a few months but they found the truck in about 15' of water. Body gone, probably eaten by alligators or decayed in the Florida heat

jeffandnicole

Most retention ponds are designed to hold several feet of water, so while they may be generally dry, when a storm hits they can fill up rather quickly. 

If a car gets to a pond and sinks in, chances are the car is damaged and the doors may not open.  Plus, once you get water surrounding the car, that's an enormous force to contend with trying to open the door, and once you start opening it, a lot of water (and stinky water at that) will come pouring in. 

It doesn't matter how much swimming experience someone may have; if you find yourself in a retention pond, chances are you are injured or incoherent.  You really can't plan for such an experience.

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 20, 2015, 08:39:59 AM
Isn't the point of guardrails (actually, guiderails)

Not in Kentucky. They're guardrails. "Guiderail" is one of those weird Yankee terms around here.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TEG24601

In Washington, the retention ponds that actually keep water (because of slow infiltration), have fences around them.  In fact, they were required to add one when they expanded my High School in the early 90s... the soil wasn't great to it holds water, so they put up a fence, it was then called "Freshman Pond", for likely reasons.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

roadman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 20, 2015, 12:38:45 PM

Not in Kentucky. They're guardrails. "Guiderail" is one of those weird Yankee terms around here.  :-D

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14700.0
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

intelati49

From what I can tell, the clearzone recommended is around 20-30 ft. The interchange meets those requirements. However, there if there is a history of it, then something needs to be done. I can't tell if there is a history at this location, but this reeks of media hysteria to me.

roadfro

Yeah it really depends on the proximity of the pond to the road edge, depth of pond, slope and drop off to the pond, prevailing speed, etc. Generally, if the pond possess such a hazard already, a guardrail or jersey wall should be required per design guidelines.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman on July 20, 2015, 02:08:57 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 20, 2015, 12:38:45 PM

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14700.0

And as I posted in that thread...

Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2015, 08:12:02 PM
It's officially guardrail in Kentucky. All the legalese about calling it "guiderail" is proof that Shakespeare was right about lawyers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.