News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

It's time to revive the northern half of I-840

Started by I-39, July 21, 2015, 07:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

My intuition is Nashville was lucky to get the southern half of 840 constructed. The likelihood of the northern half ever being constructed seems far-fetched to me.

Avalanchez71

I can tell you that the political climate is not anywhere close to having a northern portion of SR 840 being built anytime soon. 

codyg1985

Improvements to TN 109 will be the best interim solution. Also, sign the darn thing (along with TN 840) on either end as a bypass or alternate around Nashville to reach I-65 North of I-24 East. Briley should get the same treatment since it is not signed as an interstate.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

QuoteIt would be interesting to know where the eastbound traffic on I-24 goes. How much of it stays on I-24, how much goes east on I-40 and how much goes south on I-65?

I'm assuming you're asking about through traffic here.  I would expect that a majority of overall eastbound 24 traffic has a destination somewhere in the Nashville area.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on July 31, 2015, 12:40:05 AM
QuoteIt would be interesting to know where the eastbound traffic on I-24 goes. How much of it stays on I-24, how much goes east on I-40 and how much goes south on I-65?

I'm assuming you're asking about through traffic here.  I would expect that a majority of overall eastbound 24 traffic has a destination somewhere in the Nashville area.

Yep, because the northern leg of 840 wouldn't help local traffic at all.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Ghostbuster

The northern half of 840 is dead and likely always will be.

jpi

Hi Guys, been out of the loop for several weeks due to my BIG road trip and then a death in my family. I can tell you this, northern 840 is dead in the water. What little bit of funding TDOT had for this is concentrated on TN 109 to bring up to 4 lane "app corridor" standards (they just started working on the direct exit with I-65 at the state line) Hartsville Pike (TN 141) and other projects. Briley Parkway (TN-153) is perfectly fine for a northern by-pass. The only thing I can see as a benefit is if the western end of 840 gets extended to I-24 near the Adams exit and even that is far fetched. I am glad to see 840 is going to be "promoted" now hopefully I will see proper control city signage along there.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

A direct exit for TN 109 seems like overkill to me. Why couldn't they have tied TN 109 into US 31W so that the through movement is US 31W south to TN 109 south (like they did with US 127 and TN 111, where the intersection is actually in Kentucky) and then sign the US 31W Exit 1 in Kentucky for "To TN 109 (insert cities here)?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I-39

Quote from: jpi on August 04, 2015, 10:35:34 PM
Hi Guys, been out of the loop for several weeks due to my BIG road trip and then a death in my family. I can tell you this, northern 840 is dead in the water. What little bit of funding TDOT had for this is concentrated on TN 109 to bring up to 4 lane "app corridor" standards (they just started working on the direct exit with I-65 at the state line) Hartsville Pike (TN 141) and other projects. Briley Parkway (TN-153) is perfectly fine for a northern by-pass. The only thing I can see as a benefit is if the western end of 840 gets extended to I-24 near the Adams exit and even that is far fetched. I am glad to see 840 is going to be "promoted" now hopefully I will see proper control city signage along there.

Yes, even if the whole thing is not constructed, at least build the western (northern) portion between I-24 and I-40 from just southeast of Clarksville to Dickson.

wriddle082

Quote from: I-39 on August 11, 2015, 03:27:06 PM
Quote from: jpi on August 04, 2015, 10:35:34 PM

Yes, even if the whole thing is not constructed, at least build the western (northern) portion between I-24 and I-40 from just southeast of Clarksville to Dickson.

I agree 100% because it seems no improvements are being talked about for TN 48 b/w Dickson and Clarksville, which is a pretty dangerous road with a history of fatal accidents.  Both my father and brother who live in Dickson Co make semi-regular trips to Clarksville for work.  This would help tremendously, and better tie those two areas together.

dvferyance

Look at how long it took to build the southern half. At least Briley Parkway gives Nashville somewhat of a northern bypass.

The Ghostbuster

I think it is about time SR 840 became Interstate 840.

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 13, 2016, 05:17:59 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I think TDOT sent an application to AASHTO to sign it as I-840 about a year or two ago, but something went wrong with the application or some shit like that. I'm sure somebody on the forum knows more about it. And yes, I agree it should be signed as I-840.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

rte66man

After 20 years of traveleing from Memphis to the Greenbrier/Springfield area, I've come to realize that the NW leg of TN840 would prove of benefit both to local traffic as well as traffic from points west of Memphis to points north on 65:

While the orange route would likely be cheaper, the blue route could also serve as part of the southern Clarksville bypass. I realize this won't happen in my lifetime, but it sure wold have saved me lots of heartburn over the routes I take today.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Avalanchez71

I don't feel like it is very feasible.  Where is the money going to come from?

Henry

I think the southern half is enough, and isn't there still a lot of NIMBY opposition to the northern half anyway?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on June 13, 2016, 06:06:21 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I think TDOT sent an application to AASHTO to sign it as I-840 about a year or two ago, but something went wrong with the application or some shit like that. I'm sure somebody on the forum knows more about it. And yes, I agree it should be signed as I-840.
Following is from Wikipedia on Tennessee State Route 840:

In 2015, TDOT submitted a request to AASHTO to redesignate SR 840 as I-840. Though the application had an error that required TDOT to refile it, AASHTO conditionally approved it and submitted it to the FHWA for their approval.[7][8] FHWA approved the change on July 22, 2015, and AASHTO finalized their approval on September 25, 2015.

codyg1985

As of right now I have not seen or heard of any signs being placed along TN 840 reflecting the change.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mvak36

When I emailed them last year, here is what they replied.

QuoteThe project to change the signs will start at the beginning of 2016. As soon as the schedule is received by the Regional Traffic office, our crews will begin replacing these signs.

Don't know why it's been delayed.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 14, 2016, 02:36:11 PM
Quote from: LM117 on June 13, 2016, 06:06:21 PM

Following is from Wikipedia on Tennessee State Route 840:

In 2015, TDOT submitted a request to AASHTO to redesignate SR 840 as I-840. Though the application had an error that required TDOT to refile it, AASHTO conditionally approved it and submitted it to the FHWA for their approval.[7][8] FHWA approved the change on July 22, 2015, and AASHTO finalized their approval on September 25, 2015.

Welp, that's what I get for not checking Wikipedia.   :banghead: I haven't checked on it's status since last spring. Thanks for dragging me from under my rock. :pan:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

I-39

Like I've said, building the section between I-24 and I-40 would be of great benefit for traffic attempting to bypass Nashville.

tidecat

Just give me a bypass of I-65 - doesn't even need to be a full loop.

iPhone
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

sparker

Just a thought -- extend the trajectory of 840 north from its present east end at I-40, staying more or less along 231 into Kentucky, then tying it in to the south end of the Natcher.  Nice N-S bypass of Nashville, relieving 65.  Probably be more useful than a full loop. (Mods, please move this to Fictional if you so choose!).

The Ghostbuster

sparker

Except for the "slim & none" likelihood that it, like essentially every other north-of-Nashville alternative, will ever be developed, what, aside from the issues of inter-state coordination, places the Natcher - 840 connection "beyond fictional"?  Its overall north-south axis (considering a 65 junction at either end) is approximately the same as the current 840 east-west distance -- and it seems that a cutoff between 24 and northward 65 would certainly be useful to pull traffic away from central Nashville (every time I've gone through there, usually using 40 and 440, it's been a mess!).   Again, if anyone wants to slide this concept into fictional, go for it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.