News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Major Cities (or States) Which Lack Interchange Sequence Signage

Started by thenetwork, July 30, 2015, 04:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

When I used to live in Ohio, I never realized how common Interchange Sequence signs were in urban areas of large cities.  Over the years, a few freeway stretches started to use them (I-71 in North Columbus and the Innerbelt in Cleveland), but not to the extent as in other large cities, like Detroit, Denver, LA, and St. Louis.

What other state DOTs or Larger cities shun the use of Interchange Sequence signs (which usually list the next 3 exits on the freeway) in larger, urban areas?  Which ones use it very sparingly, like in Ohio?

PHLBOS

MA does not use them in the immediate Boston area but has done such for other cities and towns.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 30, 2015, 04:27:06 PM
MA does not use them in the immediate Boston area but has done such for other cities and towns.
In places where MA has used interchange sequence signing (sucha sI-290 through Worcester), placement has been spotty at best and generally not consistent with MUTCD requirements or guidance.  As such, most of the existing signs will be pulled out and not replaced during the next round of sign update projects.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on July 30, 2015, 04:31:25 PMIn places where MA has used interchange sequence signing (such as I-290 through Worcester), placement has been spotty at best and generally not consistent with MUTCD requirements or guidance.  As such, most of the existing signs will be pulled out and not replaced during the next round of sign update projects.
Example of a fairly recent installation/replacement (copied from the MA I-95 Signing Work thread):

GPS does NOT equal GOD

bassoon1986

New Orleans does not. But that could have changed since I've been last.

tribar

Chicago doesn't use them at all.  In fact, I don't know anywhere in Illinois that does. 

roadman65

FL 528 uses them for Orlando as the exits are not sequential. 

Westbound:
FL 417
FL 436
McCoy Road

Eastbound:
FL 436
FL 417

The reason why EB does not have three is because the first exit for Orange Avenue is on FDOT Turnpike Enterprise maintained roadway, and those signs are former OOCEA now CFX property.  To me they need to include I-4 going WB as its signed for Orlando anyway.  Though long and out of the way, but still one of Orlando's exits. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Darkchylde

Quote from: bassoon1986 on July 30, 2015, 08:14:19 PM
They're nowhere in the entire N.O. metro area, except for the Westbank Expressway. Far as I'm aware, the only metro in Louisiana that uses them with any frequency at all is Shreveport.

roadman65

Quote from: Darkchylde on July 30, 2015, 09:15:56 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on July 30, 2015, 08:14:19 PM
They're nowhere in the entire N.O. metro area, except for the Westbank Expressway. Far as I'm aware, the only metro in Louisiana that uses them with any frequency at all is Shreveport.
Houma and Morgan City only use the Next X Exit signs, but you are right they generally do not use them and I have not seen them when I was there a few years ago.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 30, 2015, 04:46:32 PM
Quote from: roadman on July 30, 2015, 04:31:25 PMIn places where MA has used interchange sequence signing (such as I-290 through Worcester), placement has been spotty at best and generally not consistent with MUTCD requirements or guidance.  As such, most of the existing signs will be pulled out and not replaced during the next round of sign update projects.
Example of a fairly recent installation/replacement (copied from the MA I-95 Signing Work thread):

That is actually a Community Interchanges Identification Sign, not an Interchange Sequence Sign.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Brandon

Quote from: tribar on July 30, 2015, 08:30:38 PM
Chicago doesn't use them at all.  In fact, I don't know anywhere in Illinois that does. 

There's some around Peoria and a few scattered ones downstate.  That said, IDOT District 1 completely shuns the things.  Now, ISTHA has a different solution to it.  Instead of having sequence signage, they tend to post the BGSs of the next two exits, even if those exits are miles away.

InDOT does use them extensively in NW Indiana (even including Illinois exits on the last few in the state).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Unless I'm forgetting a couple downstate, New York doesn't use them. Exits in urban areas are often so close that they would create unnecessary sign clutter. There are a few variations of a community interchanges sign, but that's the extent.

Ohio uses them quite extensively in Columbus, can't remember if they're used elsewhere.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

Newark, NJ used to use them, but since the late 90's the city has been split into its sections:  Ironbound, Downtown-Arts, University Heights, and Newark Airport (especially on I-78).  It used to be "Newark" meant the Downtown areas when signing, but since many non road geeks were being confused about cities still being signed within their boundaries the road agencies nationwide seemed to have no choice but to split areas of larger cities.

BTW, NYC is so big that is why no exit sequence or exit lists could be made.  I did once see "Hunts Point Market" on I-278 years ago denoting the Next 2 Exits back in the 70's, but I think that it may be long gone now.

Sheryl Crowe

briantroutman

Quote from: cl94 on July 31, 2015, 05:55:13 PM
Exits in urban areas are often so close that they would create unnecessary sign clutter.

Wait–isn't this precisely the reason for using urban interchange sequence signs? My understanding is that they basically replace the standalone "2 MILES"  and "1 MILE"  signs that would otherwise overlap and clutter the motorist's view, leaving only the "1/2 MILE"  and gore signs.

Kacie Jane

What Brian said.  This is the kind of sign we're (supposed to be) talking about.  Signs that list every exit in a city are kinda similar, but a different animal.  Signs that just say "NEXT 4 EXITS" are a different thing entirely.

Quote from: roadman65 on July 31, 2015, 06:24:50 PM
BTW, NYC is so big that is why no exit sequence or exit lists could be made.  I did once see "Hunts Point Market" on I-278 years ago denoting the Next 2 Exits back in the 70's, but I think that it may be long gone now.

NYC's size has nothing to do with it.  There's nothing stopping them from posting a sign that lists the next three exits, and then another sign three exits later listing the next three, and then another sign...  That's essentially what they do in Seattle, which has (very quick, guaranteed not 100% accurate count) 22 exits on I-5 in city limits.  And throughout major cities in California.  Dunno if you noticed, but Los Angeles is also frickin huge.

(Though they aren't used consistently in Seattle, and I couldn't find the one I was think of in Northgate on Street View.  So you got the Bellingham example instead, where they only list two exits for some reason instead of three.)

cl94

Quote from: briantroutman on July 31, 2015, 06:39:19 PM
Exits in urban areas are often so close that they would create unnecessary sign clutter.

Wait–isn't this precisely the reason for using urban interchange sequence signs? My understanding is that they basically replace the standalone "2 MILES"  and "1 MILE"  signs that would otherwise overlap and clutter the motorist's view, leaving only the "1/2 MILE"  and gore signs.

You're lucky to get more than 1 advance in New York City. Stuff is just too close.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

vdeane

Unless I'm forgetting a couple downstate, New York doesn't use them. Exits in urban areas are often so close that they would create unnecessary sign clutter. There are a few variations of a community interchanges sign, but that's the extent.

Ohio uses them quite extensively in Columbus, can't remember if they're used elsewhere.
I-81 has them each direction approaching Watertown.  Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I forgot about Watertown.  I have that featured on my flickr pages.  The reasoning for that one is rather than sign NY 3, NY 12F, and NY 12 for Watertown, the local street names are used instead.

PennDOT does that approaching cities with multiple exits.   The exit for NY 3 is signed: NY 3- Arsenal St.- Sacketts Harbor.  The "Arsenal St." replaces "Watertown" as its co signed with "Sacketts Harbor" which is NY 3's other control city.  The other two exits have their other direction control city with the proper Watertown Street names as well.

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

Quote from: cl94 on July 31, 2015, 08:15:30 PM

You're lucky to get more than 1 advance in New York City. Stuff is just too close.

Which is why you put advance warning for multiple exits on a single sign.

Revive 755

I don't recall seeing them last time I was in Louisville or around Lexington, KY.

JakeFromNewEngland

There is an old button copy interchange sequence sign in New London on I-95 south which lists the exits with shopping malls.

vdeane

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 31, 2015, 09:35:14 PM

In NY we don't use as many advance signs as other states do.  If there's a 1 mile sign, there's no* half mile sign, and 2 mile + signs are rarely used.  Urban areas get the same number of advance signs as everywhere else.

*I-88 exit 6 has both 1 mile and 1/2 mile for reasons I can't fathom.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on August 01, 2015, 08:15:31 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 31, 2015, 09:35:14 PM

In NY we don't use as many advance signs as other states do.  If there's a 1 mile sign, there's no* half mile sign, and 2 mile + signs are rarely used.  Urban areas get the same number of advance signs as everywhere else.

*I-88 exit 6 has both 1 mile and 1/2 mile for reasons I can't fathom.

Yes. Urban areas get one advance in almost every case and it can be as little as 1/4 mile. Multiple advances in New York are used only in the event of a lane drop or multilane exit. I can only think of a handful of signs for a distance greater than 1 mile and they are often near toll booths (such as this one and another one) or Thruway Exit 24, which is a special case for obvious reasons.

kurumi

I only remember 2 in Connecticut:
* I-84 eastbound, for the 3 exits in the "canyon" in Hartford, 3/10, 4/10, and 5/10 of a mile (probably gone now)
* CT 2 eastbound, East Hartford; a sequence sign for "Jct Rte 3", "Jct Rte 17", and "Jct Rte 94". Intervening exit (Griswold St.) omitted. I think this is also gone.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

thenetwork

Thanks for the insights.  I always thought there were more cities and states that used them a lot.  I guess when I was younger, those kid of signs really stuck out and I thought they were more prevalent.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.