News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

When was the first traffic light installed? Traffic light's 101st anniversary

Started by bing101, August 05, 2015, 10:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tradephoric

People have been cursing them ever since! 

Stop-Go-Stop-Go-Stop-Go.

noelbotevera

Quote from: tradephoric on August 05, 2015, 11:16:30 AM
People have been cursing them ever since! 

Stop-Go-Stop-Go-Stop-Go.

I regret the fact that traffic lights exist. They don't gosh darn improve safety! THEY STOLE OUR RIIIIIIIGHTS!!

South Park quote, mmkay?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Henry

Quite an interesting read there! I never knew bells were used as a predecessor to the yellow light; the latter is a far better method of letting motorists know when the signal is about to turn red.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

oscar

Lisa Baden, reporter for Baltimore/Washington's WNEW-FM, noted in a traffic report this morning that Alexandria VA is "celebrating" the anniversary with a major traffic light outage along several blocks of US 1 downtown.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

roadman

Quote from: oscar on August 05, 2015, 11:52:49 AM
Lisa Baden, reporter for Baltimore/Washington's WNEW-FM, noted in a traffic report this morning that Alexandria VA is "celebrating" the anniversary with a major traffic light outage along several blocks of US 1 downtown.
Is it just me, or are traffic reporters getting less and less professional in their broadcasts.  Last week, in commenting about the MassPike, one of the Boston traffic reporters stated ".. from the State Police barracks to the (Weston) tolls.  And from the tolls to the supermarket (overpass), that's backed up as well, right?  Nope, that's actually free and clear, you don't have another backup until ..."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

oscar

Quote from: roadman on August 05, 2015, 12:06:33 PM
Quote from: oscar on August 05, 2015, 11:52:49 AM
Is it just me, or are traffic reporters getting less and less professional in their broadcasts.  Last week, in commenting about the MassPike, one of the Boston traffic reporters stated ".. from the State Police barracks to the (Weston) tolls.  And from the tolls to the supermarket (overpass), that's backed up as well, right?  Nope, that's actually free and clear, you don't have another backup until ..."

Whatever might be said about that Boston traffic reporter, Lisa Baden does not deserve such criticism. You could, and should, have left her out of your post.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.