News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Highest elevation road in your state if you cannot drive to the highest point

Started by roadman65, August 10, 2015, 06:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonealookin

Quote from: OCGuy81 on August 11, 2015, 11:58:53 AM
I believe the highest in California is Rock Creek Road in Inyo County.  It's a county and US Forest Service maintained road to the northwest of Bishop. It climbs to around 10,000 feet before flattening out near a place called Mosquito Flat.Never driven it myself.

I think Rock Creek Road is the highest paved road.  The White Mountain Road up to the Bristlecone Pine forest and beyond to the research station is paved for several miles north of CA 168, up to the first grove of ancient trees.  Looking at it on Google Earth that's a bit over 10,000 feet so the Rock Creek pavement is slightly higher than that.  As mentioned above, you can keep going on dirt and gravel toward Mt. Barcroft and White Mountain Peak for quite some distance further and higher, and any 2WD car can make it up to the gate easily.  The White Mountains are about the only place in California where you don't run into a wilderness designation at the highest altitudes, so I strongly doubt there's any other place you could drive higher even on a wagon track of a road.

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota's is tricky. Likely one of the backwoods roads in Cook County given that's where the state's highest points are.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

slorydn1

Quote from: froggie on August 11, 2015, 01:19:05 PM
QuoteHow do you guys take the Google Maps locations I copied and pasted and convert them into a link that is just part of a sentence-I've seen numerous posts where the word "here", for example, is a link and clicking it takes us to the location the poster wanted us to see?

(ignoring all spaces within the brackets)

[ url = http://www.yoursitehere.com ] Whatever you want to type [ /url ]

Thanks, I'll try to remember to do that more often.
Just a test

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

triplemultiplex

The highest publicly accessible road (paved, too, but that wasn't the criteria) is not next to the state's highest point, Timm's Hill.  Instead it's the road that goes to the top of Rib Mountain.

The road into the county park at Timm's hill only gets you within 100 vertical feet of the 1951' summit.
At Rib Mountain, the road will get you maybe a dozen or so vertical feet from the 1924' summit.

There is a gated service road to the top of Timm's Hill that provides access to the observation tower and fire tower, but it is getting pretty rough as erosion does its work.  I have actually driven that road while a summer employee of the forestry department in Price County.  (We replaced a retaining wall at the base of the observation tower.)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Kacie Jane

Quote from: empirestate on August 11, 2015, 02:05:07 PM

Quote from: Rushmeister on August 11, 2015, 01:50:27 PM
Waiting for Florida to chime in here...

It's probably the crest of a flyover somewhere. Not even kidding.

iPhone

Almost certainly true.  I was visiting some friends outer Daytona once, and one of them joked that the highest point in Volusia County is the bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway.

iBallasticwolf2

It's Britton Hill at 345 feet. But yes it probably is at the crest of a flyover ramp but it just isn't counted. :-D
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

usends

Quote from: roadman65 on August 10, 2015, 06:01:16 PM
In Maine, its Cadillac Mountain on Mount Desert Island.  Accessible by road inside Acadia NP.
No other road in Maine goes higher than 1522 feet?
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

empirestate

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 12, 2015, 04:03:52 PM

It's Britton Hill at 345 feet.

No, that's the answer if you can drive to the highest point (and you can). But if you can't (if you couldn't), then it would be the flyover–or maybe the deck of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge?

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: empirestate on August 12, 2015, 06:40:23 PM
No, that's the answer if you can drive to the highest point (and you can). But if you can't (if you couldn't), then it would be the flyover–or maybe the deck of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge?
In that case it probably would be the deck of the Sunshine Skyway.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on August 12, 2015, 06:40:23 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 12, 2015, 04:03:52 PM

It's Britton Hill at 345 feet.

There's a railroad overpass on I-10 near Greensboro where the ground elevation is around 300 feet. Bridge deck is probably 320ish. Damn close to Britton Hill. Sunshine Skyway is close as well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

CNGL-Leudimin

I like how the highest point of Florida is actually at the top of a building! The Four Seasons Hotel and Tower in Miami, it rises 789 feet above the ground, and due to its location the top stands at a similar elevation above the sea level. That's more than double the height of Britton Hill :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

triplemultiplex

Wikipedia says there is 174 feet of vertical clearance underneath the Sunshine Skyway.  And it is bridging sea level.  Even accounting for the thickness of the bridge deck, that still puts it well under any road above a 300' contour.  So there is no possible way the Sunshine Skyway is the highest road one can drive in Florida.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

empirestate

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 14, 2015, 02:36:02 PM
Wikipedia says there is 174 feet of vertical clearance underneath the Sunshine Skyway.  And it is bridging sea level.  Even accounting for the thickness of the bridge deck, that still puts it well under any road above a 300' contour.  So there is no possible way the Sunshine Skyway is the highest road one can drive in Florida.

Yeah, I thought of that afterward, but just didn't bother to follow up.

But that's just an example–what city has the highest elevation in Florida, and might have a structure that's higher than Britton Hill?

iPhone

Road Hog

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 13, 2015, 06:12:39 AM
I like how the highest point of Florida is actually at the top of a building! The Four Seasons Hotel and Tower in Miami, it rises 789 feet above the ground, and due to its location the top stands at a similar elevation above the sea level. That's more than double the height of Britton Hill :sombrero:.

I am sure there are broadcast towers higher than that somewhere in Florida. Maybe not accessible to the public, but still.

slorydn1

Yeah, I'm thinking it might be kinda hard to drive my car to the top of a broadcast tower. I have no sources for that, you'll just have to take my word for it. :happy:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

kkt

Perhaps there's a freight elevator in the Four Seasons Miami that would take a Smart Car to the top.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: kkt on August 14, 2015, 09:28:34 PM
Perhaps there's a freight elevator in the Four Seasons Miami that would take a Smart Car to the top.
How high does Four Seasons Miami go?

empirestate

Quote from: slorydn1 on August 14, 2015, 07:21:57 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking it might be kinda hard to drive my car to the top of a broadcast tower. I have no sources for that, you'll just have to take my word for it. :happy:

That's a separate side topic. There's one side topic for the highest road location in Florida that isn't Britton Hill, and another for the highest point in Florida as compared to the highest natural point in Florida.

There is crossover, though, as the answer to the first may indeed be a non-natural point, and may thus be higher than the highest natural point.

iPhone

kkt

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 14, 2015, 09:32:07 PM
Quote from: kkt on August 14, 2015, 09:28:34 PM
How high does Four Seasons Miami go?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Florida
QuoteThe tallest building in the state is the 70-story Four Seasons Hotel Miami, which rises 789 feet (240 m) in the City of Miami's Brickell neighborhood and was completed in 2003.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.