News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

End of US 58 in Virginia Beach

Started by usends, February 14, 2016, 10:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: dvferyance on July 05, 2016, 05:19:33 PM
I don't recall US 58 ever being signed at the end by Neptune Park. US 60 isn't signed there either.

Both were signed at the Laskin-Pacific intersection when I lived there 1991-93.  There is an internet picture of this out there somewhere and I can't seem to find it.

There was also a US 58 cutout on SB Atlantic until 1992.  Never seen a picture of that though...

roadman65

I remember on Laskin in 1985, where Laskin at Pacific had those cutouts and again at the end of Laskin at Atlantic with a US 60 shield (obviously in error as that was the BR) and a double headed arrow beneath. No end sign as it still showed US 58 east going the final block to Atlantic at the actual US 60 junction with an East and straight ahead arrow in between the two east and west US 60 shields on the SE corner post intersection.

My take is that maybe they should do what Caltrans would have done here and truncate it back to Bowers Hill where it ends being a highway and starts being arterial for the metro area. Yes if Virginia was California it there would be no US 58 in the Hampton Roads City, however all independent cities would be under one county in the Hampton Roads area, and US 60 would be not in Virginia making the part following I-64 in the mountains west of Lexington a county road, and independent US 60 from Lexington to Richmond another state route number.  Then another state route number to Newport News and end there, with no route numbers through Hampton, Norfolk, and VA Beach.

I would not, though, support US 60 being truncated to WV, as that could stay even though its not well signed in VA Beach, especially the waterfront.  That should indeed remain.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.