News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US/State mixup shield error signs

Started by hotdogPi, August 17, 2016, 07:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

For years after US-10's eastern terminus was moved from Detroit to Bay City they had US-10 signs for the Lodge Freeway instead of M-10 signs which is what it was at that point. I can't find any anymore though but about 15 years ago I could have found some. US-10 hasn't ended in Detroit since the mid-80's.

jbnv

I found this shield gaffe in Ohio's Amish country.

"Ohio" 250 (should be US 250) by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
[/quote]
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

tckma

I didn't get a picture, since it was dark... but a BRAND NEW BGS ASSEMBLY (as in, installed sometime within the past week and a half) on US-422 Westbound just before the exit for PA 363 has downgraded US-422 to PA-422.  :D

I'll try to get a photo tomorrow, in the daylight.

paulthemapguy

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

tckma

As promised!

This brand new BGS was installed sometime between Saturday, July 14th and Wednesday, July 25th.

Way to go, PennDOT!  Especially considering the US-422 reassurance marker AND mile marker with US-422 shield BOTH RIGHT THERE!!!

Furthermore, what's with that diagrammatic?  If it's an EXIT ONLY lane, the arrow should only be pointing curved off to the right, not both curved to the right AND straight.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: tckma on July 26, 2018, 11:18:48 PM
As promised!

This brand new BGS was installed sometime between Saturday, July 14th and Wednesday, July 25.

Way to go, PennDOT!  Especially considering the US-422 reassurance marker AND mile marker with US-422 shield BOTH RIGHT THERE!!!

Furthermore, what's with that diagrammatic?  If it's an EXIT ONLY lane, the arrow should only be pointing curved off to the right, not both curved to the right AND straight.

Looks like they made the APL too small, making the Exit Only banners around the right-hand arrow too close to the middle one. Of course, it's also likely centered over where the lanes will be when the project's done, but still.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

tckma

paulthemapguy

Quote from: tckma on July 27, 2018, 08:28:07 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 27, 2018, 03:21:25 AM
Looks like they made the APL too small...

APL?

"Arrow-per-Lane."  It's what type of sign this is, showing a directional arrow for each lane.

APL's take up so much unnecessary space as it is, but I definitely see your point.  I think the sign might function better if it was shifted about 3-6 feet to the right.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 27, 2018, 09:47:31 AM
APL's take up so much unnecessary space as it is, but I definitely see your point.  I think the sign might function better if it was shifted about 3-6 feet to the right.

Yeah, I think the sign is the right size, but it was installed too far to the left, causing some confusion about what arrow goes where. Even if that's a temporary setup, as freebrickproductions suggested, it should be installed as it's currently configured, and then moved again when the final lane striping/configuration/whatever is put in place.

Flint1979

As promised!

This brand new BGS was installed sometime between Saturday, July 14th and Wednesday, July 25th.

I'm assuming with the arrows that the exit only is for the right arrow but that's a nice screw up on the US-422 shield.

Mr. Matté

NJ doesn't get much return in federal funds but they seem to be spending on wrong signs (spotted at least two of these)

Ian

MaineDOT is generally good about not confusing US and state routes, though the intersection of US 1/ME 3 and US 1A in Stockton Springs has three erroneous ME 1A shields. This is the only one I have photographed; heading south on US 1.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

apeman33

I posted this in the Facebook sign errors group last month but for those of you who aren't a part of that, this is a photo I took about July 8 of an error Ohio 400 sign. I went to see if it was still there after another poster put up a photo of this sign earlier.

(Edit: Was able to finally get the photo to link)

This is on U.S. 400 near Strauss, which is about nine miles east of Parsons in Labette County. And it's not the first time Ohio shields have appeared in Labette County. When the bypass around Parsons first opened, the contractor posted the entire thing with Ohio 400 shields. My guess is that either KDOT or the county kept the signs when they corrected the mistakes and then used one of them by mistake to replace a missing U.S. shield.

MASTERNC

As promised!

I called them out on it before that sign was even mounted (you could see it from the opposite direction when it was sitting in the median area.  Obviously they decided they would fix it after they mounted the sign.

jemacedo9

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 27, 2018, 03:21:25 AM
As promised!

This brand new BGS was installed sometime between Saturday, July 14th and Wednesday, July 25.

Looks like they made the APL too small, making the Exit Only banners around the right-hand arrow too close to the middle one. Of course, it's also likely centered over where the lanes will be when the project's done, but still.

The sign IS centered over where the lanes will be when the project is done.  The lanes are shifted over to the right; where the right lane is using the future shoulder.

tckma

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 05, 2018, 07:38:43 PM
I called them out on it before that sign was even mounted (you could see it from the opposite direction when it was sitting in the median area.  Obviously they decided they would fix it after they mounted the sign.

As of Monday afternoon rush hour, the error was fixed, though it looks as though they used a 2-digit US route shield with a 3-digit number -- the "4" in "422" seems squished, or maybe that's just me.

Here's one I saw in Philly last night -- PA-611 got an upgrade there:

https://goo.gl/maps/tFwZ3CE4L4p

pdx-wanderer

In Madras, OR, US 26 and "Oregon 26" one after another... Which is it??

I believe this is fairly new...I don't remember it last time I went through there, in March.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Ian on August 04, 2018, 06:44:39 PM
MaineDOT is generally good about not confusing US and state routes, though the intersection of US 1/ME 3 and US 1A in Stockton Springs has three erroneous ME 1A shields. This is the only one I have photographed; heading south on US 1.

I'm assuming that Maine did demote 1A like RI did their 1A. 

Maybe the contractor/fabricator thought this was a Massachusetts location.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jon daly

If no one has posted it yet, there are signs for US-6 in Manchester and Bolton, Conn. that use a square instead of a shield. One is at the intersection of 6/44 & CT-85. The other is on Lake Street.

tckma

Quote from: jon daly on August 14, 2018, 02:05:39 PM
If no one has posted it yet, there are signs for US-6 in Manchester and Bolton, Conn. that use a square instead of a shield. One is at the intersection of 6/44 & CT-85. The other is on Lake Street.

There are several on I-84 near Hartford where I-84 is concurrent with US-6.

For example: https://goo.gl/maps/9VjqPEC6HPt

jon daly

Hmm, I didn't notice those ones. In the CT thread someone mentioned that they're CT-9 signs turned upside down.

tckma

I think that's what's known as a joke.  Unless there's some sort of legend like "Conn DOT" or similar on the bottom of the signs that is seenn upside down and at the top on these signs.  :spin:

PHLBOS

While vacationing in eastern MA a couple weeks ago, I saw this while on MA 133 in Rowley.  All surrounding LGS signage feature the correct shields.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

Quote from: tckma on August 15, 2018, 08:39:34 AM
I think that's what's known as a joke.  Unless there's some sort of legend like "Conn DOT" or similar on the bottom of the signs that is seenn upside down and at the top on these signs.  :spin:

I don't think it's a joke. They probably have extra CT 9 signs in stock (CT 9 is a medium-length freeway), but for obvious reasons, no CT 6 signs.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

US 89

From Parowan, UT:

This isn't a one-off, either. All but one of the SR 143 street signs in Parowan make this mistake, and the only one that doesn't reads simply "Hwy 143".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.