News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Matthew Is Here!

Started by roadman65, October 06, 2016, 01:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

STAY OUT OF FLORIDA!

RIght now its been upgraded to Category 4 and is almost near South Florida.  The cone of path shows it can sweep even west of Orlando and most definitely the I-95 corridor in Georgia is part of it as well as the coast of SC and NC.

Probably the only safe places in Florida are west of I-75 and if you want want to head north now you might as well forget it!  Head west and then find a place along the Gulf Coast, or trek north on US 19 and then to wherever north-west or west.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

There are so many folks that just look at the red white and blue shield (and the green FL Turnpike) and don't even realize that there are so many viable options in Florida.  US 441, US 41, US 27, US 17, US 92, US 98, US 19 and others.

NE2

You're in the Bahamas? Lucky you.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CNGL-Leudimin

This fits better in Weather. Given the magnitude of the event is better to keep this separate from the hurricane tracker.

Matthew might be a category 4 now, but a few days ago it was briefly a category 5! And with hurricane Nicole nearby, it might get a weird track due to interactions.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

amroad17

:-o

If this storm does some widespread destruction and death, Matthew wil be another addition to the retired name list.

I will be checking on my parents, who reside in Lakeland, FL, later this morning.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: amroad17 on October 07, 2016, 05:32:39 AM
:-o

If this storm does some widespread destruction and death, Matthew wil be another addition to the retired name list.

It's already killed 300 people.  It's going to be retired once the storm dies down.  Doesn't matter where they were killed. 

CNGL-Leudimin

And Matthew already replaced Mitch after the 1998 hurricane. At least it named two other storms before this hurricane, other names such as Sandy or Joaquin were 'use and retire'. Oh, and names are retired in April at the hurricane committee meeting.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 41

I don't understand the point of retiring the name. I think there was a Tropical Storm Matthew about 10 years ago that hit Texas. No one is confusing the two.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

The Nature Boy

It's amazing how much of a close call this is turning out to be. 20 miles to the west and this could've been catastrophic. 

1995hoo

Turns out my sister-in-law is at her son's house near Melbourne. They decided to ride it out.  :ded:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: US 41 on October 07, 2016, 08:45:13 AM
I don't understand the point of retiring the name. I think there was a Tropical Storm Matthew about 10 years ago that hit Texas. No one is confusing the two.

No previous tropical storm Matthew hit Texas. The 2004 storm made landfall in Louisiana (interestingly, my database skips Nicole to end with Otto as the former wasn't tropical), while the 2010 storm stayed away from the USA, hitting mostly Honduras, but also Nicaragua, Guatemala and Belize. The 2004 storm, however, formed close to Texas, so it may be that one. Interestingly enough, every iteration of Matthew got an article in Wikipedia.

hm insulators

Hurricane names are retired, much like sports stars' jersey numbers, if a storm is especially destructive or kills a large number of people. Thus, we'll never see another hurricane named Katrina, Andrew, Sandy or Wilma, for example. I would bet money that Matthew will be retired too. Doing a bit of research will reveal a whole laundry list of retired hurricane names.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

US 41

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 07, 2016, 09:43:43 AM

No previous tropical storm Matthew hit Texas. The 2004 storm made landfall in Louisiana (interestingly, my database skips Nicole to end with Otto as the former wasn't tropical), while the 2010 storm stayed away from the USA, hitting mostly Honduras, but also Nicaragua, Guatemala and Belize. The 2004 storm, however, formed close to Texas, so it may be that one. Interestingly enough, every iteration of Matthew got an article in Wikipedia.

It was the 2004 Matthew I was referring to. Regardless I was in the ball park. The storm happened when I was 8 years old, so I'm surprised I even remembered anything about it.

74/171FAN

The Notre Dame-NC State game in Raleigh is basically being played on a Slip 'N Slide (as described even by ESPN's College Football Twitter account).  It looks to be the same for the VT-UNC game in Chapel Hill at 3:30.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

I heard now that I-95 in Jasper County, SC is CLOSED!  Apparently, trees have fallen on the interstate there and have forced the shut down of that major corridor.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Can't quite tell from here on the west coast, but it looks like the storm isn't anywhere near as bad as predicted?

Desert Man

Matthew turns away from the Carolina coast to only make a loop this weekend and turn back to South FL on Tues., may it not restrengthen to a large category 4 storm like it was 2 days ago trailed the Central FL coastline. This is the worst storm to hit FL since Andrew (1992) and the US since Katrina (2005) in Lou., Matthew already left devastation in Haiti (1000s dead, massive catastrophic damage), drenched the DR, and its eye crossed Jamaica, eastern  Cuba and the Bahamas.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

empirestate

Quote from: jakeroot on October 08, 2016, 03:09:17 PM
Can't quite tell from here on the west coast, but it looks like the storm isn't anywhere near as bad as predicted?

It seems to be well within the range of what was predicted, just fortunately not on the severe end of that range.

iPhone

lordsutch

Quote from: empirestate on October 08, 2016, 08:34:30 PM
It seems to be well within the range of what was predicted, just fortunately not on the severe end of that range.

More to the point if it'd tracked just 20-30 miles further west the damage would have been much more severe. Thankfully it was only cat 1 when it made landfall instead of the cat 2-4 it would have been had it directly impacted Charleston or Savannah or the Jax beaches.

The inland flooding in SC and NC has been pretty bad too, and could get worse.

Avalanchez71

It appears that the majority of the predictions were incorrect.  I also noticed that there may have been an agenda to excite the Global Warming Alarmists.

US 41

I just went back in hurricane history and 2004 was the year I really paid attention to these storms. I remember almost every name on there. That year was a bad (or good depending on your pov) year for hurricanes. There were lots of them that year.

CNGL-Leudimin

I remembered most of what happened in 2005. Katrina, then missed a few storms until Rita, then Stan, then missed Tammy (and the subtropical storm near the Azores NHC also missed), then the weird Vince, then Wilma and most of the Greeks. I ended up missing the last storm, ζ (Zeta), and I didn't discovered that until I started tracking tropical cyclones in 2012. There were so many storms, the year ended that ζ was still around.

Anyway, Matthew is now gone, having transitioned to an extratropical cyclone. It will surely be retired, as it has happened with almost all category 5 Atlantic hurricanes, the exception since modern naming began being Emily coincidentally in 2005.

empirestate

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 09, 2016, 10:42:24 AM
It appears that the majority of the predictions were incorrect.

I didn't notice the same. Every forecast I saw included the possibility of what it actually did.

DeaconG

Quote from: empirestate on October 09, 2016, 07:30:13 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 09, 2016, 10:42:24 AM
It appears that the majority of the predictions were incorrect.

I didn't notice the same. Every forecast I saw included the possibility of what it actually did.

The original wind speeds for Port St. John and Titusville were between 55-75 miles an hour with gusts of up to 90 and that's pretty much what we got, though there were some moments when I checked the NOAA Graphical Tabular Forecast for Port St. John and it was up to 100 miles an hour with 120 mph gusts, but by the time the eye got past Brevard we were running 70-75 mph winds with 90 gusting and lots of steady rain.  Needless to say, with the eye passing right off the end of Cape Canaveral (and I live 20 miles from the Cape straight line distance) I don't mind telling you I was a bit nervous. If that eye had shifted those 20 miles to the west I would not be a happy camper today, that is for sure!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

PColumbus73

Hurricane Matthew is being compared to Hurricane Floyd here in the Carolinas. A lot of damage was done here, the Springmaid Pier and the Surfside Beach Pier were destroyed, several other piers have been damaged in the Myrtle Beach area.

There is a lot of inland flooding as well. On Sunday, the Cape Fear River reached 59 feet. The Lumber River reached a new record high and has inundated Lumberton, NC. The Little Pee Dee River has reached it's second highest crest ever (the highest crest was set in 1928). And the Waccamaw River is expected to nearly tie the crest from last year's October Floods.

I-95 is still closed through parts of North Carolina (through Lumberton and the Fayetteville areas), US 74 is experiencing bad traffic from the I-95 closure. This afternoon a short section of I-40 westbound was closed due to a minor washout. Electricity is spotty, but improving. A LOT of traffic lights are out, about three signals near my house were malfunctioning or severely damaged or missing.

If you're planning on driving through the Carolinas, stay away from I-95 in North Carolina, flooding is still a major problem.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.