News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Things that irk you about roads the most

Started by J Route Z, December 19, 2016, 02:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on March 05, 2018, 04:21:28 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 05, 2018, 04:18:38 PM
"anything" is hyperbole, commenting on how you aren't free to pull over anywhere you want and look at the view, and don't see homes, businesses, or landmarks next to the road.

I understand that "anything" is an exaggeration. Even still, you will see plenty of stuff of interest on any cross-country road trip. The position that you will not, needs more explaining, IMO.

I think you misunderstood the meaning of the Kuralt quote, which the full version (my grandfather actually owned the book where Kuralt made this statement, so I have read it) goes on to expand on how everything looks, smells, and feels the same everywhere you go when you're travelling on interstates. I mean I'm not saying I'm going to stop using interstates myself, just that I've discovered I learn and see so much more when I get away from them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Quote from: jakeroot on March 05, 2018, 03:27:11 PM
It seems as though I'm one of the few roadgeeks who prefers to look around cities for cool stuff (old and new), not necessarily drive for hours in-between them.

If I'm trying to enjoy the drive, you'll likely find me on a back-road where I can hit the apex.

I've noticed that many cities have an enormous amount of stuff, that even going back for a tenth time, you still see something new every time.

I'm the exact same way; endless seas of the same few types of trees repeating over and over again like a broken record get boring fast.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.