I-39/90/94 expansion: Madison to Portage

Started by I-39, December 22, 2016, 08:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

I'll get this thread started. The study is underway right now to expand I-39/90/94 between the Beltline and the I-39 split off in Portage. They are currently debating whether or not to simply reconstruct and expand the existing highway or build a new "eastern reliever" freeway, which seems insane if you ask me.

What should be done here?

And if they really want an alternative route, instead of building the eastern corridor, wouldn't it simply be a better idea to expedite the US 12 freeway upgrades between the end of the Beltline and the Baraboo bypass?

SEWIGuy

This has been discussed in the Wisconsin Notes topic.  Yes I think the eastern reliever ideas are well thought out.  I also think they are going to go nowhere, and perhaps WIDOT intentionally did that in order to make the expansion idea seem like the best alternative.

The Ghostbuster

I agree the eastern relievers will never be built. They will probably expand the existing highway.

dvferyance

This part that has been mentioned is already 6 lanes it's fine as is. I thought they were studying to expand the Portage to Tomah section which would need to be expanded. Unless this was a misprint.

I-39

Quote from: dvferyance on December 23, 2016, 05:55:23 PM
This part that has been mentioned is already 6 lanes it's fine as is. I thought they were studying to expand the Portage to Tomah section which would need to be expanded. Unless this was a misprint.

It needs to be rebuilt/expanded to at least eight lanes through the Madison area and the interchanges need reconfiguration, particularly the I-94/WIS 30 interchange. 

Plus, I believe there is a separate study for the section between I-39 and Wisconsin Dells.

JREwing78

A "reliever" would make more sense as a direct connection between the western Milwaukee suburbs and I-90 just south of Portage. In other words, don't force traffic from the Milwaukee area bound for points beyond Madison to drive through Madison.

DaBigE

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 23, 2016, 11:04:52 PM
A "reliever" would make more sense as a direct connection between the western Milwaukee suburbs and I-90 just south of Portage. In other words, don't force traffic from the Milwaukee area bound for points beyond Madison to drive through Madison.

Through Madison? Not really. For the most part, the current interstate goes through the fringes of Madison. US 151, that goes through Madison.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

tchafe1978

In other words, highway 16.

XT1028

GeekJedi

"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

JREwing78

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 25, 2016, 04:18:40 PM
In other words, highway 16.

XT1028

Exactly, but as a freeway. The current Hwy 16, mostly 2-lane, is not a way to get to the Dells quickly.

SEWIGuy

When WIDOT declared that they weren't cutting the corner from Watertown to Columbus, the WI-16 dream died.

The Ghostbuster

Although this is a bit far out from Interstate 39/90/94, maybe widening the remaining two-lane segments of US 12 between Madison and Wisconsin Dells could make that roadway an alternative between the two cities. In the end, existing 39/90/94 will be expanded to 8 lanes, and none of the relievers will be constructed.

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 27, 2016, 03:28:45 PM
Although this is a bit far out from Interstate 39/90/94, maybe widening the remaining two-lane segments of US 12 between Madison and Wisconsin Dells could make that roadway an alternative between the two cities. In the end, existing 39/90/94 will be expanded to 8 lanes, and none of the relievers will be constructed.

I'm fully expecting to see US 12 continuing to 'evolve' in that direction and once the Sauk-Prairie embargo runs its course, a major four-lane bypass there will be on the schedule.  It's what would have happened decades ago had the interstates (and failing them, a major cross-country ticket tollway) never been built on their present corridors.

'I-x90', anyone?

Mike

The Ghostbuster

Forget any potential 3-digit Interstate designations. The US 12 corridor doesn't need one. I can't think of any corridor in the state of Wisconsin that will get a new Interstate designation anytime soon.

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 29, 2016, 04:19:06 PM
Forget any potential 3-digit Interstate designations. The US 12 corridor doesn't need one. I can't think of any corridor in the state of Wisconsin that will get a new Interstate designation anytime soon.

The only one that I can think of for, let's say, within the next 10-20 years, is WI 441.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

The potential WI-441 to Interstate 441 conversion, in my opinion, is a pipe dream. I believe it is very unlikely that such a conversion will ever happen. It's not that I oppose such a conversion per se, I just don't see it taking place.

andy3175

How did you determine the US 12 corridor doesn't need an Interstate designation? Is this your opinion or a statement based in fact? Please elaborate on your reasoning, since your statements in this post appear to be mere opinion and offer little factual information about why Wisconsin will not create any more Interstate highways. Links and citations would be helpful. Have you talked to someone involved in planning at WIDOT who has given you this impression? Have you read something to give this impression? Or are you articulating your personal opinion without any factual analysis to back up your opinions?
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SEWIGuy

Quote from: andy3175 on December 31, 2016, 12:19:49 AM

How did you determine the US 12 corridor doesn't need an Interstate designation? Is this your opinion or a statement based in fact? Please elaborate on your reasoning, since your statements in this post appear to be mere opinion and offer little factual information about why Wisconsin will not create any more Interstate highways. Links and citations would be helpful. Have you talked to someone involved in planning at WIDOT who has given you this impression? Have you read something to give this impression? Or are you articulating your personal opinion without any factual analysis to back up your opinions?

LOL.  You want him to write a dissertation on a message board?

How about this...  Wisconsin has historically shown no interest in 3di designations.  There hasn't been a new one since the 1960s, despite the fact that there are opportunities to do so.

**US-12 from Elkhorn to the IL line
**WI-30 in Madison
**WI-172 outside of Green Bay
**US-45 south of West Bend
**WI-441 around Appleton

The top three could have been designated at anytime in the last few decades.  Nothing.  The last two are now (or will soon be) eligible with the I-41 designation.  No plans to do so on the WISDOT site.  There are probably others I am forgetting.

As for the route in question, US-12 west of Madison isn't going to be upgraded to interstate freeway in decades.  They may extend the expressway from Sauk Prairie to I-90/94 at the Dells, and they may upgrade some at-grade intersections to interchanges, but there simply isn't the resources to do a major overhaul.  And it seems like they will rightfully focus their efforts on the interstate corridor.

As for other major corridors...where?  WI-29 simply doesn't have the traffic volume to justify upgrades along that corridor.  They may extend corridors further north (I-39 and I-41), but there simply isn't any obvious candidates.

andy3175

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 31, 2016, 10:33:15 AM
Quote from: andy3175 on December 31, 2016, 12:19:49 AM

LOL.  You want him to write a dissertation on a message board?

How about this...  Wisconsin has historically shown no interest in 3di designations.  There hasn't been a new one since the 1960s, despite the fact that there are opportunities to do so.

**US-12 from Elkhorn to the IL line
**WI-30 in Madison
**WI-172 outside of Green Bay
**US-45 south of West Bend
**WI-441 around Appleton

The top three could have been designated at anytime in the last few decades.  Nothing.  The last two are now (or will soon be) eligible with the I-41 designation.  No plans to do so on the WISDOT site.  There are probably others I am forgetting.

As for the route in question, US-12 west of Madison isn't going to be upgraded to interstate freeway in decades.  They may extend the expressway from Sauk Prairie to I-90/94 at the Dells, and they may upgrade some at-grade intersections to interchanges, but there simply isn't the resources to do a major overhaul.  And it seems like they will rightfully focus their efforts on the interstate corridor.

As for other major corridors...where?  WI-29 simply doesn't have the traffic volume to justify upgrades along that corridor.  They may extend corridors further north (I-39 and I-41), but there simply isn't any obvious candidates.

For what it's worth, I'm not advocating for any Interstate designations in Wisconsin, and I agree with your logic on why there have been no new designations other than Interstate 41 in the past several decades. What I am advocating is for the Ghostbuster to stop making the same post in multiple locations in this forum about the unlikelihood of a given project or potential designation for a future upgrade based on his own opinion without any research or factual analysis.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

hobsini2

Quote from: mgk920 on December 28, 2016, 10:00:28 AM

I'm fully expecting to see US 12 continuing to 'evolve' in that direction and once the Sauk-Prairie embargo runs its course, a major four-lane bypass there will be on the schedule.  It's what would have happened decades ago had the interstates (and failing them, a major cross-country ticket tollway) never been built on their present corridors.

'I-x90', anyone?

Mike
I-290 as an extension of the current on in Chicagoland along the US 12 corridor. Wishful thinking? Perhaps. But you never know.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 31, 2016, 02:35:50 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on December 28, 2016, 10:00:28 AM

'I-x90', anyone?

Mike
I-290 as an extension of the current on in Chicagoland along the US 12 corridor. Wishful thinking? Perhaps. But you never know.

I-290 over the EOE.

triplemultiplex

Closer to the topic at hand, I think there could be some interesting upgrades to the East Town Interchange (US 151 & the interstates) associated with the outcome of this study.  In particular, a flyover or turbine ramp from 151 SB to 39/90/94 SB seems likely.

Even if they keep the Badger Interchange in its current configuration, I would like to at least get two lane ramps for WB -> SB and NB -> EB. But ideally, it would be nice to get a design that moves some left hand ramps to the right.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 03, 2017, 08:57:24 PM
Closer to the topic at hand, I think there could be some interesting upgrades to the East Town Interchange (US 151 & the interstates) associated with the outcome of this study.  In particular, a flyover or turbine ramp from 151 SB to 39/90/94 SB seems likely.

Even with High Crossing Blvd in the way?

Revive 755

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 03, 2017, 09:08:27 PM

Even with High Crossing Blvd in the way?

Worst case they build a new bridge for High Crossing Boulevard or carry the flyover for the SB US 151 to SB/EB I-39/I-90/I-94 over the High Crossing overpass.

DaBigE

Even if they keep the Badger Interchange in its current configuration, I would like to at least get two lane ramps for WB -> SB and NB -> EB. But ideally, it would be nice to get a design that moves some left hand ramps to the right.

My biggest wish is to reconstruct the WIS 30 onramp to the interstate...there's something about the design of the current left-side merge that makes me nervous anytime I have to use it.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.