News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Let's get a 2016-17 NFL playoff thread going

Started by epzik8, January 08, 2017, 05:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

Either way, the Browns history is still Cleveland's/Ohio's, whether or not the NFL officially says it is. History is not something that can be relocated.

CNGL-Leudimin

I consider the old Browns to have split into the current Browns and the Ravens. In that line, in the NBA I also consider such a split, from the original Hornets into the New Orleans Hornets (now Pelicans) and the Bobcats (now once again Hornets).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Buck87

Atlanta leads Green Bay 24-0 at halftime.

Some costly turnovers and a missed FG really hurting the Packers so far.

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Buck87

Nice way for the Falcons to close out the Georgia Dome. I'll definitely be pulling for them in the Super Bowl, as I dislike both teams in the AFC title game. Speaking of that game, it's been a pretty good one so far, with NE currently holding a 17-9 lead early in the 3rd. 

LM117

Welp, the Steelers are out. I hope the Falcons beat the Patriots.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LM117 on January 23, 2017, 07:12:05 AM
Welp, the Steelers are out. I hope the Falcons beat the Patriots.

Hopefully they make it interesting, people are going to assume that this is going to the Patriots coronation game. 

Henry

The Falcons it is! And I'm so glad they eliminated the hated Packers in what was the last ever game at the Georgia Dome; it had all the makings of a storybook ending.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Henry on January 23, 2017, 10:35:40 AM
The Falcons it is! And I'm so glad they eliminated the hated Packers in what was the last ever game at the Georgia Dome; it had all the makings of a storybook ending.

Last ever game?  Twenty-five years is as long as stadiums last now?

Was MC Hammer back for an encore?  He was the star of that place when it opened, hanging around the sidelines in his Zubaz, flashing that "2 legit 2 quit" hand signal.

english si

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 23, 2017, 11:18:48 AMLast ever game?  Twenty-five years is as long as stadiums last now?
And I know it wasn't built for the Olympics specifically, and merely used as a venue because it was there and newish, but this Atlantan attitude to the '96 games' venues is why US cities will struggle to get a Summer Olympics - zero lasting legacy, zero respect for the games.

But I guess if you are going to be logan's runned, then last nights game is a good way to go - dominating a conference championship final from start to end.

AlexandriaVA

Given that cities generally will bend over backwards to pay for the stadium, it doesn't take a genius to see why they get built so frequently.

dvferyance

Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2017, 03:05:43 PM
Either way, the Browns history is still Cleveland's/Ohio's, whether or not the NFL officially says it is. History is not something that can be relocated.
So does that mean the old Hornets team history is now part of the current Hornets instead of the Pelicans? Does that mean the Colts  records in Baltimore now count as the Ravens since the team moved to Indianapolis? The Houston Oilers history is now part of the Texans? How about the LA Rams? Since they won their only super bowl in St Louis they shouldn't be allowed to have that super bowl banner up in LA. A franchise is still the same franchise regardless of whether the team relocates or not.

dvferyance

Quote from: Henry on January 23, 2017, 10:35:40 AM
Agreed the Falcons were the only team remaining that were not all sick of. I would love to see them win the sb. It's such a shame though that they are going to tear down the Georgia Dome that stadium is just 25 years old could last at least another 5 more years.

Buck87

Quote from: dvferyance on January 23, 2017, 01:23:08 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2017, 03:05:43 PM
So does that mean the old Hornets team history is now part of the current Hornets instead of the Pelicans? Does that mean the Colts  records in Baltimore now count as the Ravens since the team moved to Indianapolis? The Houston Oilers history is now part of the Texans? How about the LA Rams? Since they won their only super bowl in St Louis they shouldn't be allowed to have that super bowl banner up in LA. A franchise is still the same franchise regardless of whether the team relocates or not.

Actually, as far as the Hornets/Pelicans goes, the NBA did officially return the 1988-2002 history of the original Hornets to the current Hornets when they did the name change, which is a great decision IMO.

But anyway, the point I'm making is that while franchises may move, the history they made while in a city will always be a part of that city's history. The 1955 World Series will always be a part of the history of Brooklyn, not Los Angeles. The 1957 World Series will always be a part of the history of Milwaukee, not Atlanta. And so on.

74/171FAN

Quote from: english si on January 23, 2017, 11:50:45 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 23, 2017, 11:18:48 AMLast ever game?  Twenty-five years is as long as stadiums last now?
And I know it wasn't built for the Olympics specifically, and merely used as a venue because it was there and newish, but this Atlantan attitude to the '96 games' venues is why US cities will struggle to get a Summer Olympics - zero lasting legacy, zero respect for the games.

But I guess if you are going to be logan's runned, then last nights game is a good way to go - dominating a conference championship final from start to end.

The Braves are also moving into a new stadium this year northwest of the city in Cobb County.  Turner Field was specifically built for the 1996 games before the Braves started playing there in 1997.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Pete from Boston

The idea of reattaching a team's history to their replacement is a fairly recent one that seems to be to smooth over public objection. 

It feels like they're saying, "Look, see? There was never any trouble here."

It's as plausible as that time in the Simpsons where something preposterous upended the basic premise of a character so the judge declared that nobody could ever speak of it again.

tdindy88

Quote from: english si on January 23, 2017, 11:50:45 AM

At least Los Angeles' bid to host the Olympics in 2024 will involve them using the same stadium that they used in 1932 and 1984 (with some enhancements.) Along with the new Rams/Chargers football stadium of course.

And as a Colts fan I can only say, let's go Falcons.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 23, 2017, 10:05:23 PM
It's as plausible as that time in the Simpsons where something preposterous upended the basic premise of a character so the judge declared that nobody could ever speak of it again.

Armin who? ;)

I guess we ran out of table yesterday :/
Good luck Atlanta.  Take down the evil empire.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Buck87

So there are now commercials running for Falcons NFC championship gear and Patriots AFC Championship (both for the NFL online store)

While there are always commericals for championship gear that pop up immediately after each of the Big 4 Pro and Big 2 College championships, I can't quite remember seeing ones like this at the conference/semifinal round.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Buck87 on January 26, 2017, 05:57:14 PM
So there are now commercials running for Falcons NFC championship gear and Patriots AFC Championship (both for the NFL online store)

While there are always commericals for championship gear that pop up immediately after each of the Big 4 Pro and Big 2 College championships, I can't quite remember seeing ones like this at the conference/semifinal round.

Its pretty normal in the cities where the teams have won. If you're seeing them elsewhere, they're probably just taking advantage of the opportunity to market their website.

formulanone

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 23, 2017, 10:42:39 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 23, 2017, 10:05:23 PM

Armin who? ;)

I guess we ran out of table yesterday :/
Good luck Atlanta.  Take down the evil empire.

Obligatory pie chart making the rounds over the past few days:

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

AlexandriaVA

The Patriots have won enough Super Bowls across the years with different rosters that I think it proves:

Every position/occupation other than Head Coach and QB is pretty irrelevant.

Alps

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 26, 2017, 11:11:26 PM
The Patriots have won enough Super Bowls across the years with different rosters that I think it proves:

Every position is irrelevant when you're friends with the commish. The NFL is more corrupt than Hudson County in the 1970s.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: Alps on January 26, 2017, 11:38:26 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 26, 2017, 11:11:26 PM

Every position is irrelevant when you're friends with the commish. The NFL is more corrupt than Hudson County in the 1970s.

Who's friends with the commissioner?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.