News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite type of soda?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 20, 2017, 12:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite type of soda?

Coke
9 (14.8%)
Coke zero
5 (8.2%)
Diet coke
1 (1.6%)
Pepsi
3 (4.9%)
Diet Pepsi
6 (9.8%)
Mountain Dew
6 (9.8%)
Sprite
2 (3.3%)
Orange soda
2 (3.3%)
Dr. Pepper
11 (18%)
Other
16 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

bandit957

Quote from: english si on May 21, 2017, 05:12:43 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on May 20, 2017, 07:46:00 PMThe gum business has gotten really bad with this.
Gum went sugar-free not because of anti-obesity drives, but because of the branding as something good for teeth.

But these artificial sweeteners cause cancer. I'd rather have cavities than cancer.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bandit957 on May 21, 2017, 09:02:21 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on May 20, 2017, 07:46:00 PMThe gum business has gotten really bad with this.
Gum went sugar-free not because of anti-obesity drives, but because of the branding as something good for teeth.

But these artificial sweeteners cause cancer. I'd rather have cavities than cancer.
They cause cancer for real or is this just a dumb conspiracy theory?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

wanderer2575

The Wife had to give up all pop a few years ago for health reasons, and I decided to go cold turkey then too.  (Unfortunately, I still eat enough other crap that I haven't lost any weight.)  My beverage of choice was a fine Mountain Dew, er, Mtn Dew.  I wasn't drinking any of this sludge for the taste or the bubbles; I wanted sugar and caffeine.

epzik8

I love Coke because number one, it's older and more of an American classic, and number two, my favorite NASCAR driver Joey Logano is in the "Coca-Cola Racing Family".
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

bandit957

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2017, 09:38:43 PM

They actually do, and they are a gluten hazard.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

OracleUsr

Soda is not my first choice to drink (if good iced tea is available, especially with some lemonade, I'll take that every time), but Diet Mountain Dew is my choice.  My doctor wanted me to cut back on soda altogether, so I try not to drink more than one 12-oz can a day, and on weekends, a lot of times I don't drink any.

IBC Diet Root Beer though...yum
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

sparker

I may have mentioned this in the "soda vs. pop" thread, but Coke Cherry Zero is my drink of choice for caffeinated drinks; if I'm going for something later at night and wish to avoid caffeine, it's a tossup between Fresca Black Cherry and Diet Canada Dry ginger ale.  Just grateful that Safeway or Smart & Final has regular sales on 12-packs! 

hbelkins

They cause cancer in lab rats if you feed them about 20 pounds a day of the stuff. As far as humans go with normal consumption, most likely not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

Quote from: hbelkins on May 22, 2017, 01:51:48 PM

They cause cancer in lab rats if you feed them about 20 pounds a day of the stuff. As far as humans go with normal consumption, most likely not.

Ah, someone else who remembers sodium cyclamate.  (Look it up, you young whippersnappers.)  In one study, they fed enough to lab rats to get cancer - the equivalent of drinking 550 cans of diet pop.

sparker

Quote from: GaryV on May 22, 2017, 04:42:02 PM

Ah, someone else who remembers sodium cyclamate.  (Look it up, you young whippersnappers.)  In one study, they fed enough to lab rats to get cancer - the equivalent of drinking 550 cans of diet pop.

550 cans?  Did the math; over a hot summer, that's probably not too far from my consumption from May through October (we tend to get "Indian Summer" around these parts in mid-fall).  If I suddenly stop posting, you'll all have an inkling why (burp!)!!! :ded:

7/8

Quote from: sparker on May 22, 2017, 08:35:46 PM
Quote from: GaryV on May 22, 2017, 04:42:02 PM

550 cans?  Did the math; over a hot summer, that's probably not too far from my consumption from May through October (we tend to get "Indian Summer" around these parts in mid-fall).  If I suddenly stop posting, you'll all have an inkling why (burp!)!!! :ded:

Well, from Wikipedia, it's 550 cans per day, so you should be okay (at least for cancer, anyway) :nod:. Though 550 cans over 6 months is a lot of pop...

Quote from: WikipediaThe released study was showing that eight out of 240 rats fed a mixture of saccharin and cyclamates, at levels of humans ingesting 550 cans of diet soda per day, developed bladder tumors.

thenetwork

I like Vernors, but it's hard to find it out west. 

I like the taste of Mexican Coke (Coca-Cola, that is), and Pepsi -- not as much carbonation and a tad sweeter than the US equivalents.

One of my favorites of the past was Josta (a Pepsi Product)

Nowadays, I tend to lean towards the non-carbonated (Gator/Power-ade, Sobe, Lemonade -- and Hi-C orange while McDonalds still has it on tap) or water.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: thenetwork on May 22, 2017, 11:31:34 PM

Actually, here in Arizona it is readily available.

sparker

Quote from: 7/8 on May 22, 2017, 08:49:27 PM
Well, from Wikipedia, it's 550 cans per day, so you should be okay (at least for cancer, anyway) :nod:. Though 550 cans over 6 months is a lot of pop...

I dehydrate easily (side effect of hypotension), the tap water around here sucks (hard as a rock! -- and Brita filtering only helps out a bit), and bottled water hardly seems worth the trouble & expense -- may as well get a bit of flavor (and some occasionally needed caffeine) with it.

BTW, Vernors is available out here in CA -- you've just got to look a little! 

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

Do you have Kroger or affiliated stores? (ISTR that Albertson's is a Kroger brand) The bigger Kroger stores in my area carry Vernors.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: hbelkins on May 23, 2017, 01:53:01 PM

Do you have Kroger or affiliated stores? (ISTR that Albertson's is a Kroger brand) The bigger Kroger stores in my area carry Vernors.

In western Colorado (including Grand Junction) there is City Market.  The more urbanized eastern part of the state has King Soopers.

thenetwork

I'll just have to look around again a little harder.  The only time I remember seeing Vernor's in recent times was in a 12-16 oz glass bottle in one of those specialty candy & soda POP shops.  (At $3, it was a little steep IMO).

I'm originally from Northern Ohio, and when I used to visit relatives in the Metro Detroit area, Vernor's was everywhere, like Faygo.  Maybe I should rephrase my original post and say it's not as easy to find large quantities of Vernor's in one spot as in the Midwest.

/And yes, I have traveled along Vernor Highway in Detroit a few times in my life!!!

hbelkins

Vernors may be hard to find, but Faygo is everywhere.

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on May 24, 2017, 11:34:53 AM

OK, I'm a naive Californian.  WTF is Faygo?????

thenetwork

Quote from: sparker on May 25, 2017, 02:08:14 AM

Faygo is a Detroit-based soda pop comany that is similar to Shasta -- multiple flavors and usually found in Dollar Stores as.the equivalent to  higher-priced.Coke.& Pepsi.products .

sparker

Quote from: thenetwork on May 25, 2017, 03:35:27 AM
Quote from: sparker on May 25, 2017, 02:08:14 AM

Faygo is a Detroit-based soda pop comany that is similar to Shasta -- multiple flavors and usually found in Dollar Stores as.the equivalent to  higher-priced.Coke.& Pepsi.products .

Yeah.......Shasta used to be ubiquitous out here, but it seems most major market chains are pushing their own house brands (likely Shasta bottles some of those as well!), so the actual Shasta brand can usually be found in such "bargain" retailers like Grocery Outlet and, occasionally, Smart & Final.  I remember when I was a kid spending summers in Sacramento, Raley's stocked just about every Shasta flavor known to humankind!  If it grew on a tree or a bush, Shasta probably had it as a soda flavor!

roadman

Don't know if they've done specific studies regarding artificial sweeteners in gum, but I do recall the research about artificial sweeteners in soda (pop).  While studies on lab mice showed a link between artificial sweeteners and cancer, it was determined that, based on the dosage the mice were fed, an adult would have to drink approximately 500 cans of Diet Coke a day for about 40 years for the same effects to show up.  Of course, if you drank that much soda (pop), the eventual cancer would be the least of your health problems.

Yet another example of medical "science" proving what they want to prove by skewing the conditions of the study.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

US71

Haven't we recently had this discussion elsewhere?

I'd rather have ice tea: 2/3 unsweet, 1/3 sweet and NO HFCS
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JJBers

Quote from: US71 on May 25, 2017, 11:48:49 PM
Haven't we recently had this discussion elsewhere?

I'd rather have ice tea: 2/3 unsweet, 1/3 sweet and NO HFCS
I like it 1/2 sweet, 1/2 unsweet. The balance makes it perfect.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.