News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Largest US city/metro area you have not been in

Started by hotdogPi, May 26, 2017, 10:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

I've only been to Los Angeles through a connection at LAX. If that counts, I've never been to Chicago.

catsynth

Houston.  But now that my brother and sis-in-law live there I have more of an excuse to visit.

I've been in Chicago multiple times, but never had the opportunity to explore.  I would really love to one of these days (but not in the winter).
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

silverback1065

corco

San Antonio by city size, Atlanta by metro size, not counting airports.

If airports count as visits, Pittsburgh is the largest I've never been to.

kphoger

Well, this one is pretty easy for me.  I've never been to New York.

Beyond that...
I haven't been to Houston since about third grade.
I've never been to Philadelphia or Miami.
In Atlanta, I never stepped foot outside the airport.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

I need to hit the road.  I am missing more than I would have figured.  I haven't been to Boston so Boston would be the biggie for me.

kkt

Dallas-Fort Worth if you don't count changing planes (which I don't).

hotdogPi

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 02, 2018, 01:44:41 PM
I need to hit the road.  I am missing more than I would have figured.  I haven't been to Boston so Boston would be the biggie for me.

Boston is more famous than its population (ranked 22nd for city proper) would suggest.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadsguy

I've been to NYC, but I haven't been any farther than Ohio to the west, North Carolina to the south, and Niagara Falls/NYC to the northeast, so this answer is easy: Los Angeles. And Chicago, and Houston, and Phoenix. And anything else not in that region. :P
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

I've only been thru Chicago, but haven't stopped there.  The largest city I've never been in whatsoever is Houston.

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

inkyatari

LA.

I've been to Chicago (duh,) San Fran, Seattle, Denver, St Louis, Indianapolis, Memphis, New Orleans, NY, Philly, DC, Atlanta, Vancouver BC, Toronto, Omaha, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on January 02, 2018, 03:09:47 PM
I've been to Chicago (duh,)

You'd be surprised.  Back in the 80s, my family knew people in Joliet who'd never been to Chicago.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

inkyatari

Quote from: kphoger on January 02, 2018, 03:11:16 PM

You'd be surprised.  Back in the 80s, my family knew people in Joliet who'd never been to Chicago.

HOnestly, that doesn't surprise me.  I grew up in Jtown, and we were always trying to be known as Joliet, and not "the far SW suburbs"
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

TXtoNJ

1. NYC - yep
2. LA - nope
3. Chicago - nope
4. DC/Baltimore - yep
5. SF Bay Area - nope
6. Boston - nope
7. D/FW - yep
8. Philly - yep
9. Miami - nope
10. Houston - I'd certainly hope so
11. ATL - only the airport
12. Detroit - nope
13. Sea-Tac - nope
14. Phoenix - nope
15. Twin Cities - nope
16. Cleveland - airport
17. Denver - yep
18. San Diego - nope
19. Portland - nope
20. Orlando - yep

slorydn1

Quote from: inkyatari on January 02, 2018, 03:12:41 PM

HOnestly, that doesn't surprise me.  I grew up in Jtown, and we were always trying to be known as Joliet, and not "the far SW suburbs"

Which is funny, because I lived in the NW suburbs and we never considered Joilet as being in the suburbs at all-we always thought of it as its own city.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

kphoger

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 02, 2018, 03:45:12 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on January 02, 2018, 03:12:41 PM

Which is funny, because I lived in the NW suburbs and we never considered Joilet as being in the suburbs at all-we always thought of it as its own city.

We lived in New Lenox in the 1980s, and I never thought of Joliet as anything but a suburb.  Besides, Bill and Ted confirmed that Aurora is a suburb of Chicago.
Male pronouns, please.

Thing 342

Of the top 25, I'm missing:
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Houston
13. Inland Empire
14. Detroit (airport only)
15. Seattle
16. Minneapolis (airport only)
17. San Diego
18. Tampa
19. Denver
24. San Antonio
25. Portland

The smallest I've visited is #377 Hinesville, GA

empirestate

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 02, 2018, 12:09:09 PM
now it's NYC for me

Now? What was it before (and how did that change)? :hmmm: :-P

Quote from: 1 on January 02, 2018, 01:56:06 PM
Boston is more famous than its population (ranked 22nd for city proper) would suggest.

As is San Francisco...or Wilmington, DE. I started a thread about that once, actually; trying to find a way to measure the "apparent magnitude" of a city, rather than ranking on pure population counts.

ce929wax

New York City.  I hope to fix that in the next few years when I visit Yankee Stadium and Citi Field.

US 89

In the top 25, I'm missing:
2. LA-airport only
3. Chicago
7. Philadelphia
8. Miami
12. Phoenix
13. Inland Empire
14. Detroit-airport only
16. Minneapolis-airport only
18. Tampa
21. Baltimore
22. Charlotte
25. Portland

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ce929wax on January 02, 2018, 06:37:26 PM
New York City.  I hope to fix that in the next few years when I visit Yankee Stadium and Citi Field.
Yankee stadium sucks. Don't go within 20 miles of it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on January 02, 2018, 08:05:34 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 02, 2018, 08:04:15 PM
Quote from: ce929wax on January 02, 2018, 06:37:26 PM
Yankee stadium sucks. Don't go within 20 miles of it.

Do you realize how large 20 miles is?
Still well within NYC metro.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

(I didn't mean to delete my post; I meant to revert my modification.)

My original post that I accidentally deleted:

Do you realize how large 20 miles is?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

HazMatt

I've been to more than I thought, but I'm missing a bunch.  I'm shocked to see the Unifour and my hometown Lenoir at #147.  I've been to these in the Top 25:

1. New York
3. Chicago
6. Washington
7. Philadelphia (via Wilmington DE)
9. Atlanta
20. St. Louis
21. Baltimore
22. Charlotte
24. San Antonio

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.